Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Can a single parent join the navy or air force?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can a single parent join the navy or air force?

I would to join the air force or the navy. I was told that single parents can not join either of them. does anyone know if this is correct or i there a way i can still enlist?

Am
HERE IS THE ACTUAL REGULATION ON ENLISTING AS A SINGLE PARENT. You can do it, but you will give up custody, and then attempt to get it back. Whoever is telling you to not do it because your kid can become an orphan is full of crap. Just because you are a single parent does not mean there is no father. What happens when a mom not in the military gets killed? Oh yeah family, imagine that. The one who said there are no occomidations is kinda right. You will be responsible to make sure this kid has care at all times.
REGS-
With the exception of the Army National Guard, single parents are not allowed to enlist in the military, period. In the "old days," some recruits would try to get around this restriction by giving up legal custody of their child(ren) until after basic training and job school, but the military has wised up to this practice.

For example, in the Marine Corps, one must give up legal custody (by court order) of their child(ren), and then wait one year or more before being eligible for enlistment. In the Army and Air Force, single member parent applicants who, at the time of initial processing for enlistment, indicate they have a child or children in the custody of the other parent or another adult are advised and required to acknowledge by certification that their intent at the time of enlistment was not to enter the Air Force/Army with the express intention of regaining custody after enlistment. These applicants must execute a signed statement testifying they have been advised that, if they regain custody during their term of enlistment, they will be in violation of the stated intent of their enlistment contract. They may be subject to involuntary separation for fraudulent entry unless they can show cause, such as the death or incapacity of the other parent or custodian, or their marital status changes from single to married.

The military's refusal to accept single parents for enlistment is a valid one. In the military, the mission always comes first. Absolutely no exceptions are made in assignments, deployments, duty hours, time off, or any other factor for single parents. Single parents in the military are required to have a nonmilitary person (in the local area) on call at all times, 24-hours-per-day, seven-days-per-week, 365 days-per-year, who will agree (in writing) to take custody of their child(ren) at no notice, in the event that the military member is deployed or called to duty. Failure to comply with these " Family Care Plans" can (and does) result in an immediate discharge.

In general, an applicant who has joint physical custody of a child by court order or agreement, and the applicant does not have a spouse, he/she is considered a "single parent." If local or state court allows modification, if the other parent assumes full custody, the applicant is usually qualified for enlistment.

In the Army National Guard, a single parent may enlist, if they receive a waiver from the State Adjutant General of the state that individual is enlisting.

The Freak Show
Velvet sinner is 100% right.

You can do it, but there is almost ZERO when it comes to accommodations for single parents. A sick child is not an excuse if you have duty, and the hours and demands of military life make it very hard for people who are trying to raise children on their own.

So....

You can do it, but it is a very hard road. I have total respect for the people who pull it off.

greggblack0590
ok here is the skinny. ref AR 601-210 revised april 2008

chapter 2

single parents may enlist in the ARMY reserve ONLY. if you have one dependent child. but you have to have a family care plan in place and approved by the first O-3 in your unints chain of command. it is a lengthly process so dont expect anything to go too smoothly.

if anyone tells you to give up custody of your child in order to enlist with the intention of regaining custody after you complete training, is telling you to commit a FRAUDULENT ENLLISTMENT. of which you will be processed out.

always keep within the regs and you cant go wrong.

Jeremiah C
Rating
you could but would basicly have to give up custody of your child. most give custody to a close relative

Mrsjvb
Rating
no. you may not give up custody just to enlist and you may not regain custody at all during the entire enlistment.

usnbm09
for the navy single parents can only do reserves

PeguinBackPacker
Rating
I've seen what single moms and their children had to endure when in the military. I have nothing against parents being in the military as one is able to stay home. If no one is able to, well I see nothing but problems as a result.

Besides all that, is there some one who is very reliable (as in has taken care of your children with no problems for long periods of time before.) to have them live with and care for? As in will not take your money meant for the child and use it for their own selfish gain?

Chey
No!

Cane Corso Mom
The best thing to do is hand over temporary custody to someone you trust for the amount of time for basic and tech school. Then you can get your child back. BUT you can get a waiver and still have your child on your deers but have someone have temp custody. Which means you need a special power of attorney(POA) stating the local parentice rights and transport your child POA. Once training is done you are good to go, unless you get deployed which is why you will have a family care plan in place Form 357

ilovehimso24
You can still enlist because my dad did this. You just have to have a family care plan in case you get deployed and have a place for them to stay if you have to go somewhere.

LillyBug
Yes you can my mom went to the Army and she was a single parent. But do you really want to do that to your kids? Think about them first what will happen to them if you get deployed to Iraq? What if something happens to you there? Think before you do, because once your in, your in for a while.

wittynbear
Rating
Yes you can, you will have to sign custody over to someone else while you are in boot camp and MOS school. You can get them back when you get to your permanent duty station but I would recommend against it. I would suggest making E5 first then getting your kids back. E-1 or E-2 you won't make enough money as an E-3 you will be able to barely scrape by but as E-4 you can make it just not comfortably. As an E-5 you should be able to make it comfortably. You will need to have a plan for your kids if you have to go to the field, or get deployed. Day care won't work. Its best to have someone that you trust and not just let your kids stay with anyone. If you don't have a plan for your kids you will be discharged.

Velvet Sinner
Rating
Yes you can as long as you have a family care plan (someone to take care of your children if you're deployed). There are many single parents in all branches of the military.

=^_^=
You have legal obligations to take care of your child and if you have full custody there is no way you can take these kids into combat with you or risk having you shot and killed and them orphaned.

justice
Rating
Who is going to raise your kid?

Do your kid a favor, give them up for adoption first then join if you want.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Wat does military police do?
if i enlist would i get to choose were i wanna serve my term at? can u do international as military police ?...

Soldier stationed in Alaska getting married in lower 48.?
Okay I've googled all I could and I really don't see any answers to my questions... As I said I'm getting married in the lower 48 when I take leave in July from my duty station which ...

Which branch will most likely me off to Iraq the Army or the Marine Corps?
Im 18 and I want to fight in Iraq, but please dont tell me what I want to hear just so I will join. I am going to join one of the two no matter what I just want to know which fits me best and I dont ...

Can you tell me something that involves the civil war from e to z?
im doing a ...

Special Forces, Green Berets joining what to start working on?
So I am going to try and join the Green Berets in the future, I am still only a freshman in high school. I read the web page on goarmy.com but I would like some more information before I see the ...

In the navy can u choose the boot camp leave date?
for when u leave to go to boot ...

How much extra money will my finance and I get when we get married?
My finance and I are going to end up getting married but I was wondering how much extra money and benifits we will get so I can gauge whether we should go ahead and do it now or take our time. He is ...

Is it difficult to get a secure place in the RAF?
Is it a competitive position to become a pilot? Would I be better to get further qualifications such as a degree? If anybody answering this question is from the RAF please mention your experiences ...

Do u have to go to war?
if i join the army just for the training do i get forced to go to war or is it a choice
Additional Details
okaii now i do understand i cannot go just for training. how many times do i ...

Taliban 60 miles from Islamabad?
Okay, i may be getting toally th wrong end of the stick here, feel free to laugh at me if i am, but from what i'm hearing the police force originally fled from the Taliban as soon as they saw ...

I don't want to actually fight in the military, but I want to do something dealing with that. What could I do?
I am a 13 year old and I am very seriously thinking about joining the military, navy, marine corps, etc. and I don't want to KILL anybody meaning during wartime. I do want to do something that ...

Does usaf cct ever shoot there rifle?

If you retired from the military as an E-5 would you tell people you retired at a higher rank?
An E-5 is pretty much the minimum. Should I tell them I was a kernul or just the truth.
Additional Details
Chief we posters from the original Yahoo boards spell Colonel that way. It'...

Is it true one can no longer say I served in the military?
It is reported saying "Served" is a put down. For example I walked into an American Legion and said to the Vets "You all got served by the North Vietnam Army" and they got mad. I ...

Can I drive my own vehicle during tech school in the Air force?
I am buying a vehicle after boot camp(which i ship off for in a few weeks)

My tech school is in Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, Tx.

I just didnt want to buy the vehicle yet if i ...

My new neighbor is from North Vietnam so can he go with me as a guest to the VFW for a cold beer?
He immigrated to the USA in 1996. Works at a GM plant. Admitted he served in the North Vietnam army and killed Americans. But he was just following orders.
Additional Details
Heading ...

Reasons why i should join military?

Do married Marines get sent on fewer combat missions than single marines during deployment?

British army catterick whats it like ? i have heard storys?
that they is alot of bullying going on and other stuff is this true?...

Can I join the national guard?
well my situation is the Im a junior right now ,but Im 16 yrs. old and i will turn 17 this august then i will be a senoir ,can i go for the split training for the national guard in my situation? and ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links