Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Can i join the military and go to college at the same time?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can i join the military and go to college at the same time?

Jennifer S
Yes, you join the ROTC and will be going to college and after you graduate will join the military as an officer. Or you can go enlisted and try to go to school during your off duty hours.

usmcwife722
Rating
You can join the military and start college classes after you've had boot camp and your schooling. It takes a lot longer to get a degree because of deployments. Sometimes, they offer classes while deployed, but usually not very often and there are internet classes, but when you're deployed, there are so many problems you can run into with finding an internet and having a good connection.

On most bases, there are colleges that offer night classes. My husband's been stationed on two bases now and takes night classes three nights a week (after work hours) and is slowly finishing up his bachelor's degree. I think it will have taken him about 6 years while being active duty with 3 deployments... instead of the typical 4 years.

Also, you can get some military credits for classes you take for your military training/education.

You've got to have motivation to keep on going because it is tough to do both, but do able if you have patience.

Slowblinker
You can take college courses but you cannot attend the classes during your military work hours which are, of course, the same as a normal work day.
Most of the guys I was in with that went took college courses went after hours (at night and on the weekend).

Paradox
Right now, serving active duty (enlisted) and going to college simultaneously is pretty difficult. There are correspondence courses and night/weekend classes (the latter if you're not deployed), and the services will usually try to help you. Services do have programs that release you from active duty to go to college and commission, but they're selective and most (all?) require some TIS.
ECPs in US Military:
Air Force: ASCP, POC-ERP, SOAR. Navy: STA-21, MECP, etc. Army: G2G and SMP. Marines: MECEP. etc.

Alternatively, you can enlist in the Reserves or National Guard (AF and Army). You'll deploy, maybe a lot, but when you're not deployed or preparing, it's only 1 weekend/month and 2 weeks/year.
Another alternative is to join ROTC in college and commission as an officer when you're done. You can serve in the Reserves/NG simultaneously (usually); the Army's SMP program is for just that.

Air Force Wife
Rating
the best situation would be if you could take online classes. but your likely hood of sitting in a college classroom are slim to none

Merchant of Death
Right now? No.

You will be deployed, especially in the Marines or Army. There's no such thing as reservists right now and I've heard that reservists have been deployed more than active duty. When you think about it it makes sense.

Active duty stationed at overseas bases or the US are needed where they are and if you take them away from their locations, someone else has to fill in anyway. Better off sending the reserves. My uncle who is a reservist has been on multiple tours.

deepthi
I am pursuing my b.tech3rd year in ece. I am intrested in joining in army as a officer before joining which courses i should take.And while doing army job i can do m.tech for further studies.hope u will send me the answer .

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Do I need a pilot's license...?
Prior to entering Coast Guard aviation?...

Why is Obama driving former Sunni friends in Iraq into the insurgent camp?
Good job mister community organizer. Maybe Obama should go to Iraq and organize something....

Are you enemy's with anyone on Y!A?
I am. I have 2 people. Nicole and Lady Gaga sort of.
Additional Details
Am. Why don't you shut up. I bet that was you who you were talking about....

Few questions about the army?
I'm a 19 years old immigrant,is there any chance to join the army(specially the marines)?
In the marines corps they provide you stealth&recon training?
Is there any summer boot ...

Information on Army MOS 15V?
Can anybody with experience please tell me about MOS 15V?
What helicopters are usually classified with this MOS?
Does the Army currently have this MOS active?...

At what point of the body do you measure from to get a Pace Stick made to size?
I understand its from the ball joint of the hip to the floor?

From the top of my hip bone to the floor is exactely 40"

But I've already ordered a 39"

How long does it take for weed to leave your system?
I have only done weed three times in my life...3 years ago(smoked), in January(Brownies), and this past Thursday(brownies) and I'm about to talk to an army recruiter sometime this week and take ...

Does Army and Air force need Civilian nurses?
is there a big demand for practical nurses in army bases/air force bases ? Civilian .........

Question for combat vets?
Would you say you came back with enough money for your combat tour to be worth it?...

Teach college for the Armed services?
I'm an X-Army guy who did my time and got out, but now that i'm a bit older and working on a masters degree, i was wondering how someone becomes one of those teachers that teach college ...

Who thinks this is funny?
http://www.youtube.com/w in addition to that who has more funny videos.....

When enlisting in the army is first-duty station...?
still an enlistment incentive??? i've heard from several credible sources that it is still an incentive and that although it's sort of pushed as a guarantee, that it actually isn't. in ...

Mp's pay? 10 points best answer.?
do mps get paid the same as soldiers?
I know it depends on how high you are ,
But what is normally the starting pay for mp's?
when does it get higher and by how much?
10 ...

Are Female Marines different than Female Army Soldiers? If so How?

Questions about Army J.R.O.T.C.?
Well, I signed up for Army JROTC in high school for next year (I am in 8th grade). I have some questions. One, i'm kind of a nerd (not very athletic) I can run VERY fast but I can hardly do 4 ...

Will i be able to join the British army, with a Swallow tattoo on my neck?

Is the military like social work? Is their any similarities about the military and social work?

If my MOS is CTI, how long before I ship out after MEPS?
Im joining the Navy and I don't want to wait 6-9 Months before I get shipped out. My recruiter isn't doin much leg work and he wont take the time to find out an approximate time frame other ...

Super Hero question and the Marine Corps?
What super heroes where in the Marine Corps? I see a lot of super heroes who where once in the Army and went through some experiment gone wrong or something? I was told the Punisher was a Marine any ...

European War 21st Century?
Background info:

The economic crisis in the world gets worse, more people are turning the the extremes again of fascism and communism. Which countries are going to go what way? What ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, December 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links