Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Can my husband go to school while active duty in the AIR FORCE?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my husband go to school while active duty in the AIR FORCE?

my husband just joined the air force his boot camp day is september 1, 2009. and we want to know that when he is done with all the preparation things and we get assigned to a base and a job if he can still go to school to work on his Bachelors Degree. and can i still go to school too.
Additional Details
we know they pay for it but is it hard to work and go to school or you just cant go to school and work because its too much.

AF427
Rating
Your husband will definitely be able to go to school. The Air Force actually encourages it. It will look good on performance reports if your husband spends his free time bettering himself.

As soon as he finishes his CDC's he will be able to start taking classes. Classes are paid for by the Air Force, up to $4500 per year. Some classes they will even buy the books for you. If there is any flexibility in the schedule they will try to accommodate your husband when he is trying to take classes. I was able to get my shift changed several times in order to take classes.

If he does well enough in school, he should look into apply for a scholarship funded by the Air Force.

The best one is the AECP program. It pays enlisted members full pay to go to college and become an officer.

Here is a link about the basics for different scholarships:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enlisted_commissioning

TheBuffalo
Yes, your husband can certainly go to school, and the military will even pay for part of it. But don't expect them to let him take off work early to do so. My father was on active duty and he was able to work and receive a doctorates from Johns Hopkins. It takes long nights and a lot of work to do so though.

jeeper_peeper321
You can do whatever you want to.

Your husband can take class's in his off duty hours.

generally you can take no more than two class's at a time, it is just to much time otherwise.

he will be allowed to start taking class's about 6 months after he gets to his first duty assignment.

He has to finish his 5 level upgrade training first.

Your not done with school after you graduate Tech School

You then have to complete CDC's Career development courses and your OJT on the job training. Thats takes from 6 months to a year.

NWIP
Rating
The military will not help you go to school that is all on your own time and money. you can use the base college office for information on grants and scholarship you can apply for. You are usually able to use the colleges that are offered on base as well.

For his education it will depend on his work schedule. He cannot usually go when he first reports because of everything necessary for the job, hours, etc...His work can be very difficult with long hours depending on what he is doing. He can use the Tuition Assistance to go to college it is limited to $4500 per fiscal year or 16 credit hours. He can maybe take 1 class a semester but not always. Anything beyond the TA you pay for yourselves.

Tkr2good
1) Yes, you can go to schoo while in the AF
2) It is all time management. I juggled it all and will be completing my degree in a month.
3) Since he will be an E-1,2, or 3, He many have to complete his upgrade training before going to school. It all depends on his unit and leadership there.

4) I would suggest you two go overseas. The AF has a program where spouses can get tuition assistance. Hawaii would be good due to many American college choices.

Sho Y
Rating
From what I understand at least in the USMC you can get your BA degree while on active duty for free. Since the USAF is well funded I think its safe to presume the same.

Mrsjvb
Rating
that will depend ENTIRELY on his Job, OPTEMPO, command support and his own ability to juggle many things at once.

is it doable.. yes. is it easy. NO.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What is MCT and how come infantry do not take it? (USMC)?

What exactly is America trying to accomplish building the proton bomb?
So, we built the atomic bomb, which killed a bunch of people. We built the hydrogen bomb, which killed a bunch of other people. Now what? Kill more people?...

Which job in the navy will get me sent to iraq/afghanistan?
i would actually like to go to iraq/afghanistan, i think it would be an experience, but if i join the Navy Reserves as an MP would i go to iraq if not which job should i do to go?
Additional D...

USMC: Wrong account was used for mypay, how do I fix it?
The account had an extra 0 in it and was therefore invalid and the payment was rejected. I talked to the bank and they said they just didn't accept the payment, (so I can't solve it with ...

What substances can be used in the military? I DON'T WANT TO BE JUDGED!!!?
I can't smoke cannabis,like I used to (which I believe is safer than both tobacco and alcohol) because I am in the process of signing to the U.S. Air Force. I was just wondering,are there any ...

Is there a website that shows army rank badges?
Is there a website that shows you what badge stands for what ranking in the army?...

Marine infantry question?
If I am an 0331 (machine gunner), after boot camp, MCT and SOI do I go straight to the Middle East?...

I have a skinny guy question about the military?
Ok I'm a skinny guy (5'11'' and 130 lbs). I want to join the military but I don't want to risk losing any weight. I was thinking about going Cavalry Scout or something but I ...

If you joined the U.S Military?
Would you think, You will die or survive in the Middle East..
Additional Details
But your only branch is infantry.....

Who would you consider as being one of America's mythical warriors?
The Greeks had Achilles, Leonidas, Hercules, etc.

The British had King Arthur.

If the US has a legendary warrior, who do you think it is? Who would you consider as America'...

Did the Taliban have respect for Pat Tillman in bravery and as a true warrior?

Additional Details
No, I mean after the publicity went out on this true ...

Know anything about dogs in base housing?
My husband is in basic training at Ft. Jackson SC and we have a rottweiler. When we get stationed, are we going to even be able to keep our dog? Are there breed restrictions? What types of pets are ...

Army options after 11b training?
i was wondering what other opportunities are open after 11b training. I know you can go to paratrooper school. And i know if you are good enough, you can go to sniper school. What are some other ...

AF BMT July 21st!?!?!? :)?
There has to be someone on here shipping july 21st. :D...

Will the truth about the USS LIberty incident ever be made public?

Alleged Nazi Demjanjuk is cleared for deportation, Wasn't he following orders like the people who water board?
If you were brain washed into thinking your race was the master race and was ordered to kill prisoners, wouldn't that be the same as having the option to water board prisoners and doing it?
<...

What are some mental challenges of USCG rescue swimmers?
I'm, doing an informational speech in my English class on the USCG rescue swimmers. I'm looking for possible direct quotes from rescue swimmers that can answer this question or if someone ...

Would it be wrong to request a pro war Republican to send their children to war?
Observed another vehicle with a "I support the war" decal on a vehicle. Next to it was a decal that stated "I am a Republican with respect". Inside were two grown off spring. I ...

In order to become a Navy Officer for the reserves, what test is required?
I have a M.B.A, and I would like to join the Navy Reserves, as an officer, and I need to know what is required of me, as far testing and body weight requirements, Iím 24 years old?...

What is the difference between terrorism and an act of war?

Additional Details
thanks for the answers but I have a question for B Man. Pearl Harbor was specifically targeted at our Naval ships and bases in Hawaii so wouldn't that be ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links