Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Can my wife and i join the us army together?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can my wife and i join the us army together?

we are thinking about joining but im not sure what the life would be like for us... would we have to spent a lot of time apart? i havnt talked to a recruiter yet but just wanted some sugestion first.

Mrsjvb
if you have children, no. one of you would have to go Reserves.

if there are no children, there are zero guarantees. one you will most likely NOT be training together. and they can never promise you will be stationed together. co location is defined as being within 50 miles.

Laura B
Rating
Sure...and I believe right now they have a program to where one of you will get $2000 after the other one signs up. The military does try to keep spouses together it's called "join spouse" and they try to keep you if not at the same place...within a close distance. It all depends on the jobs that you go into and which Post has openings for the jobs. There are TONS and TONS of dual military couples. You will spend time apart, that is a given...how much time will all depend on what Job you pick. To be honest, if you want to spend minimal time away from each other. I would recommend the Air Force, they are much more family oriented... I've lived both Army and Air Force life (living with Army made me join the AF). I've always been married in the Air Force with an Air Force spouse...it's been great and we've had minimal time away from each other and we've never been stationed at different places, always have been living together. If you want to talk more about it let me know. I'm not a recruiter, I've just lived the life.

blusafe1
Rating
If you join the Navy - I can't speak for the Army

Detailers will do their VERY best to place you in the same geographic area. But you will never be in the same command.

BUT, with 6-7 month deployments on sea duty every 1.5-2 years, you may not see much of each other. You will also be required to complete a family action plan, basically what you're going to do to care for your children if neither of you are around. In 4-5 years on a TYPICAL rotation, you'll both go to shore duty and again, the detailers will try to place you in the same area.

Be prepared to spend lots of time apart.

Am
I just want to add 1 thing to Laura's answer, because I think her answer is best.

If you 2 have children you both cannot join as active. At least not to join initially at the same time. 1 of you would have to go Guard. In which case that person would request a transfer to a unit close to the active 1.

Rating
The military can be completely unpredictable when it comes to where you will be stationed. Dream sheets are just that, dreams. Unless you request to go where the wars are, which you will probably end up going to anyway.

Jeff
Rating
My wife and I were in the Army together, they do try and keep you together as long as it's possible. When my wife re-classed and went to school they changed my orders to go with her. When we left Korea we had separate orders to begin with and without either of us doing anything they changed mine to follow her to Ft. Hood. I believe it's called the Married Army Couples Program, they do what they can to accommodate and for the most part it's successful. Just make sure that you're enrolled in the program from the start. I've known plenty of other married couples that didn't get split up except for deployments.

Just be prepared to be separated a lot for short periods of time for various reasons, a month here, a couple weeks there, etc. Believe it or not family is important to the Army, but sometimes it comes down to the needs of the Army.

Greco
Laura's right. If you want to be together join the Air Force. I spent 20 years in the AF and met my husband and got married we were together 16 years before we retired from the AF and out of that time only spent 6 months apart. I wouldn't count on going through basic and tech school together. You probably could if you get the same job. But don't do that. It would lessen your chances of being stationed together. Try to pick a job that they have everywhere.

Ray M
Rating
Honestly, not sure if a recruiter is the best person to talk to. Some of them are a little less than honest about realities. My father was in the army for his life career and always got upset about situations where a recruiter didn't give the full information.

I'd try to call some sort of offically army office and talk to someone to get the correct information. I've known couples that were both military, but I dont' think the army is bound to have you both in the same location. heck, with Iraq and Afghanistan going on right now, you could both end up in the zones, but in different spots. They definately wouldn't put you in the exact same squad or whatever. They wouldn't want any chance of a situation arising.

ddsgflower
Rating
Yes you can join together with the Army, they have to keep you at least 100 miles or closer... Umm like if you join the Army and she joins the Army National Guard you would be stationed at like Ft Stewart, GA cause its a Army and Army National Guard Fort...

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If i go to school first and go to the air force how much will i make?
I heard if i go to school and then go to the air force I will go in as an officer how much will i be making ...

On tuesday i got sworn into the airforce.im officialy enlisted, but im worried that i might get discharged!!!!?
see when i went to meps they told me to inform them if i have ever been arrested or charged, I TOLD THEM NO and i even told my recruiter no. im officially enlisted in the airforce but now im scared ...

Is security forces apperentice a dangerous job in the air force?
i seleceted this as my job when i enlisted into the airfoce iwould like to know if this job is safe? espacially in these times of war, i understand this job is very serious and plays a big ...

A kings troop question?
Does anyone know if they will take on a farrier who is already civilly trained?...

Question about my PQS with the Navy?
I have a GED, so I have to have my PQS and my fitness test completed before I ship off, but what happens if I don't complete the PQS or don't pass the fitness test by my ship date? Will my ...

If I have a mild hearing loss, can I still enlist in the US army...?
...and are there any weavers that'd allow me to enlist?...

What are some safe/good neighborhoods/apartment complexes near Fort Sill (Lawton), OK?
My boyfriend is in the Army and being stationed at Fort Sill. I am trying to find some possible places to look into but want to make sure they are not in a unsafe area. We are relocating from Ohio ...

U.S. Army Soldier email pen pal?
Hey, so I was just wondering if there was a way I could connect a soldier currently in Iraq. Either through facebook or email. And just write them letters and maybe see some pics of whats going on ...

Hubby's in the navy and wont give him enough time off after i have knee surgery?
i am having knee surgery may 27th and my husband is in the navy and they will only let him off the day of the surgery (its major surgery too)
for one i will prolly be in the hospital for more ...

How do I join the Army Core of Engineers and what should I expect?
I'm a sophomore at a major university currently studying Civil Engineering and I was looking into the USACE....

How often do soldiers in Iraq (or wherever theres combat) get shot?
cause i plan on joining the army, and i just want to know how often they get shot
i dont mind getting shot, its just that i would prefer not to lol
and if ur one of those people who like to ...

What would you have said in this situation after someone dissed the military?
I was at personal training today with my recruiter and the other guys. While we were stretching out, an older lady came up to us. I have to add the fact that she was an immigrant. I knew it because ...

WHO is a higher rank JOhn Jumper or Peter Pace?

Military my-pay account...why would it say we're getting paid nothing?
We get paid every 1st and 15th. I looked at mypay and it has that we have 0 dollars coming on the next check, does this mean we arent ...

What is more important to a sniper: the ability to blend into the enviornment or their marksmanship?
cause i heard several people on this site say that blending into the environment is not important at all and marksmanship is important. but then i saw on the history channel that if a sniper is not ...

Quick question: would BMT get cancelled because of the Swine Flu going around?
Quick question: would BMT get cancelled because of the Swine Flu going around?

I leave for Basic May 26th and as days go by the swine flu infection rate is getting worse ''/...

Can I possibly get a guaranteed job?!?!?! :O?
Alright so as of now I'm in AF DEP, ship out July 21st. I'm under mechanical aptitude area. My contract is 6 years active duty. I'm looking to do aerospace propulsion (jet engine ...

AF, When do i get to know what base a get?
when do i get to know what base will i be stationed?

Air F...

Did the British have any personel involvement in the Vietnam War?
At any point of the Vietnam conflict (even during the French involvement or before) did the British have any personnel involved in the Vietnam war?

If so, where and in what capacity (i.e. ...

Soldiers, what do you think about the movie "In the Valley of Elah"?
have any of you soldiers actually been to iraq, been through combat, and saw those things on the road? what do you think about how the movie portrays soldiers with PTSD? is it really that scary? do ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, November 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links