Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Can you join the army with a criminal record?
Find answers to your legal question.

Can you join the army with a criminal record?

I am 19 now and expecting to be getting a 12 month sentence in a few weeks. Just want to know when I'm all finished with that if I would still be able to join the army or would having been in prison mean I have no chance.

flossybean
Nope not as far as I understand,

Certainly you couldn't when my Hubby joined up

( I presume you are talking about the UK Army)

Bobo
Rating
It all depends what your conviction is for. Historically, a criminal record would have stopped you joining the forces, but that has now changed. Normally the severity of the offence governs the length of rehabillitaion period to be served before an application to join the forces will be allowed. Speak to your local Armed Forces careers office for clarity. Having just come to the end of 22 years in the Army, i recommend you go for it. Good luck.

David
Rating
Dosn't mean no chance but will make about 95% chance of not. Also depends on the crime. BUt 1 year prison sentence sounds like a bad one. Should have joined before you messed up and it might have helped you stay away from trouble. Sorry

agroevilc
Rating
It all depends on the offence, theiving car crime etc yes, GBH murder etc no.

Don't forget you will be taught to do all the above properly

LT. DAN
if you play your cards right you may be able to avoid the sentence to go now if you choose so. I think the military has the most criminals in the us in it. I had a record they took me no problemif you got any specific question about it email me ill tell you anything you want to know and i will be 100% honest

sweet_thing_kay04
Rating
If it is a felony then I'm sorry but your chances for joining are none.Hopefully it isn't a felony and the next time you'll think twice before u choose to do something against the law.Good luck

hotty
nope! you cant, your reccord has to be clean! thats what my dad told me and i trust that because he is in the national guard

keepsondancing
Rating
No, until recently you could not. The military has become so desperate for recruits that they have loosened a lot of their standards. Many of the old rules no longer apply. If we are still at war when you are released, give it a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. And really, if you have paid your debt to society, why shouldn't you serve your country?

mischevious_pink
YES YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!
iw as goign to join the army and they didnt care abotu my FELONY record that i spent tiem in prison for..... you cna get it waived.... talk to your local recruiter for more answers..... they know the real deal

kassy95z_28
you have no chance

David L
Yes, per Army regulations you can join the Army with a criminal record as long as the crime was not a felony, certain drug charges or a domestic charge. Your local recruiter will be able to answer your question.

?
Rating
Depends on the severity of the crime committed and whether or not you will be placed on probation or parole. Once released from prison talk to a recruiter and once you go through the process and they check your background you will have to go through a review board to see if they can get you in on a waiver.

crimefighter99
No.

CLIVE T
Rating
I do not believe you can, but have a try

Mr curious
Rating
The US and UK are desperate to recruit anyone. So i would say yes.

andrew m
Rating
depends what you did kid......prison normaly means uh uh...

Ms RoRo
Rating
I have heard of people going to the Army with records but I think it depends on what you did. Contact your local Army recruiter when you get out.
Also....
I dont know where you are located but be sure to get your rap sheet to check for errors and if you have a felony and any number of misdemeanors you should apply for a certificate of relief and more than one felony you should apply for a certificate of rehabilitation this might lift any statutory bars to employment.
Good Luck

magiclady2007
Rating
no i dont think you can join up with a criminal record

DW
Depends on the crime.

Angels Raising Hell
Rating
NOT WITH A FELONY.

kevin p
depens on your crime

ugly little hate machine
Rating
I think so, i always thought you had to be a convicted criminal to join up.

o'yam
Rating
are you kidding me , don't you know the British Army has been recruiting proven murders and killers from HMS prisons for a long time as these candidates have already proved their killer instincts to be good Army material.

Martelleyoung
I was wondering if I can join the national guard with two felonies for DV I have served time in a state prison for it in 2002and2005 can I join

senior boy
can you join the army with count 1 feloney 6 discharge of firearm

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Did I just hear that George Bush did NOT want?
a cease fire between Lebanon and Israel? If this is true, can someone please explain it to me? I'll be totally honest, my life has been stressful as it is and I haven't paid so much ...

How come I feel shame over my nephew joining the Marines?
He's smart enough to go to college but he had to go into the Marines on July 25th and now he has to deal with those narrow minded jar heads. Now what would make him do a silly thing like that? H...

The Army told me I could not join them because I have 6 misdemeanor charges.Can i try in another town?
I was just told by the US Army, that they would not take me because I have 6 misdemenaor charges, so I was thinking, could i try enlisting in another town 20 minutes from me? Or is it the same thing.?...

Can all of us in here who are really smart enough agree on this?
Those of us in the military section of yahoo answers who are smart enough to realize that users like Ashley Meyers, ERUDITE, and the others on here who are simply trying to get a rise out of people ...

If you served in Iraq do you now feel stupid?
You went into the military and thought you had purpose. After iraq you knew you were taken for a ride. Feel stupid?...

Is 17 to young to talke to a marine corps recruiter?

When are are we going to stop our incredibly stupid policy in Afghanistan and Iraq?
After years of shedding our blood and huge monetary costs, Al Qeda is stronger than ever and the situation In Afghanistan and Iraq far worse than in the first year. The generals are now asking for ...

Could Hitler have survived WWII and fled to a foreign country after undergoing facial surgery?

Additional Details
http://happynazi.ytmnd.c...

Now this is my personal belief but.... what do you think?
I know that I'm opening myself up for alot of people to be rude and crude and irrational but:

I think that the military members should be paid more. This has been something that has ...

Serious accident involving lady in my life?
I cant understand it,I was in the mess hall and overheard the 2 soldiers in front of me saying that my lovely girlfriend had a weapon discharged in her face that very morning.

I ran over ...

Is it true that World War III will begin in 2010?
some people claim that a world war will erupt in 2010...

Can terrorism be fought with violence?
do you think whether the mumbai terror attacks would have been lesser if the civilians had guns and had retaliated the attack?

does the government realise that this is high time to ...

Why would people join the military during the war.?

Why are our soldiers so unhappy?
The suicide rate is rising:

http://news.aol.com/stor ....

Army or Marines?
which one is better?...

When should I tell my family that I enlisted in the armed forces? They never wanted me to join any military.?
I am 19 years old and have decided to enlist in the armed forces, not saying which branch though. Each branch has their own contributions that make this the best military force in the world, and if ...

Who should have won world war two?
who should have won world war two?...

People who want the troops home?
Why is it that its always people who have nothing to do with the military saying bring the troops home? Most troops cant stand people protesting for us to come home we wanna do our job. If we are ...

Cant civilians keep there nose out of military affairs. i.e. Prince Harry going to Iraq?
Yes I do know its taxpayers money but you've got your local MP to nag. This excludes ex-service men. Let the military do there job and you do yours
Additional Details
Yes I do know ...

Americans, do you think the US war in Iraq has angered other countries?
Americans, do you think that our US invasion of Iraq has angered people in the rest of the world? If so, why?
Additional Details
Lemontr... you wrote that 'they may hate us but you ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links