Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Getting married into the Navy?
Find answers to your legal question.

Getting married into the Navy?

My boyfriend is in boot camp right now, I know it would have been easier or better if we had gotten married BEFORE he went to boot camp but we didn't..so I need to know from anyone who's expierenced getting married after boot camp or after A school?

I would like to know the advantage and disadvantages, how hard will this be? I live in Florida, so when he's on leave either after boot camp OR A school will he come out here or stay in Illinois?

Thank you SO much!
Additional Details
I understand the military and how it works. I didn't want opinions on my decision to getting married. I'm going to do this regardless, we had made plans before he went off to boot camp and we want to stick with it. Age is not a factor in this situation, we are both old enough to know and understand that this is what we BOTH want. There is NO chance for him getting stationed back home, that is not what he wants and neither do I. We want overseas...but more than likely considering what he's going in the Navy for he'd get stationed in San Diego.

But I just simply asked if it was possible to get married before going to A school, or after A school.

The advantages of you getting married to an active duty person:
free health care.
The disadvantages:
He could get orders to an unaccompanied duty station.
He could go on a ship and be gone for extended periods of time,
He could get shipped overseas, and you may not like the area he is sent to.
He could go spend 12-15 months in Iraq or Afghanistan.
He is so young he may find someone else.

You can get married in ten minutes at the court house by the justice of the peace. Just because he is in the military doesn't mean he has to stop living.

Am
Rating
If you marry before A school he can hope to get you put on his orders so the the Navy will pay for you to move wherever he gets stationed. If you wait until after A school you are considered an acquired dependent and the 2 of you will pay to move you wherever he is going to be. The Navy will not pay for 1 penny of it that way.

Yes as long as he can afford it he can come see you.

FutureRN
He can come back for a couple days, using his accrued leave, but he will go to wherever his gets stationed. That can be anywhere, worldwide.

Mrsjvb
he will report immediately to A school. he will not be allowed any time off during A school unless he is in A school during the last 2 weeks in December( all schools shut down then). he will not be permitted to go more than say 350 miles from the A school location on the weekends once he has earned off base privileges( each A school has their own policies about what the Liberty mileage restriction is).

he could graduate on a friday and have to be at his duty station that following Monday. or he could have a month before he has to report.

as someone who went through this: wait until he reports to his duty station, finds out the schedule and THEN try and schedule a wedding. and even then.. prepare for the ship to get underway that week anyway( voice of experience).

travis m
Rating
He may get leave, to come home and visit.... but you probably have better odds of winning the lottery, than he has of getting stationed "back home"

Get married whenever you want to, whatever's best for you two. But be prepared to pick yourself and move wherever the Navy stations him... or be prepared for him to go "on ship" for 6 months to a year.

Be flexible... he has little control over where he goes, at least for his first few years. Be flexible, be understanding, and be supportive. Plenty of people have had long happy marriages in the navy... plenty of others have let it tear them apart... just try to be on the side that supports and understands each other.

Jennifer S
How old are and how long have you been together? That should be the big factor on whether you should get married or not. Not a time line of boot camp or A school. Make sure this is the life you want and the person you want. Don't rush to get married! I knew my husband for 7 years before we got married. I am not saying others haven't made it but over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Make sure he is the one. Marriage is a lot of work and is not at all like TV says. It is devotion to each other and willing to work, both of you, through everything and anything life sends your way. Read a book call Ask The Hard Questions before marriage! by susan

yp_will_chicago_369
Rating
My answer is depending upon his job or specialty he may request to be stationed at one of the great lakes which will be closer to you.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

USMC question please help!?
I want to become a Marine, but I heard there were points like if you get somewhere at 300 you're a marksman?can someone help me out with this? also, I have bad vision, not really bad, but not a ...

How to get the most out of my Army enlistment bonus?
What helps out the bonus?

education?
bilingual?
Years?
Job?...

As soon as you graduated from Boot camp?
After my husband graduates he gets 10 day leave I was wondering can he just leave home with me right after he graduates?...

Are there Buddhists/Confucians in the Army?
heading up for bootcamp this summer. Wondering if i can get any Buddhist/Confucian religious service during my BCT. Also wondering how the military religious demographics are.....

So on family day what do you do?
My husband graduates in July and I was just wondering on family day what goes on...oh he is in the Marines if that matters....

Is there a way i can secure me going into the 82nd Airborne division if i join as infantry?
ARMY....

Names of US Military Hospitals during WWII - Stateside! Also places here in the US that the USO stopped?
I am needing help trying to find what military hospitals where used durring WWII. I am looking for what hospitals that were used here in the US. Also looking for places here in the states that the U...

Deployment length?....?
My husband is deploying in mid july to afghanistan...but he still doesnt know for how long. he asked few SGTs already and some of them told him 12 months, and the others told him 15...how long do you ...

Why Do Some College Grads Go Enlisted?
Just wondering, I've heard that a good number of college graduates go the enlisted route when they could (possibly) go commissioned instead.

Any ideas behind this reasoning? Thanks....

Who is up for transferring to Israel and fighting in Gaza?

Can I get some inspiration for joining the US Military?
I'm having a very hard time getting a GED... (I plan to get college credits under my belt, after I finally get my GED), I can't get a HS Diploma because of really bad family issues. I want ...

Women and the war effort ?
i chose this as my topic for a history assignment. I have to present a 15 minute presentation, where I teach the class about my topic.
The problem is I know nothing about my topic, so I don'...

What where the 10 best armies of world war 1?

Pararescue - Was my dream of becoming a pj ruined five days before MEPS?
I need this job. I want the pararescueman life to be my life. Three weeks ago was my very last day of snowboarding and to make a long story short I cased it hard on my shoulder.

I had ...

Would you be able to choose which Special Forces group you belong to?
I'm planning on enlisting in the Army with a 18x contract to pursue my dream on becoming a Special Forces engineer soldier. I understand many people say you should not look that far, you should ...

What exactly DO you pay for?
if you are a single person living on base what expenses do you have?...

I have had 3 herniated disc about 2.5 years ago. Will this effect my chances of enlisting in the army?
I am capable of physical exercise and I don't experience a lot of pain. Im just afraid that they won't let me enlist because it could worsen in training. Any tips, suggestions, info would ...

Can I go to the US naval academy?
Right now I have a 3.0 gpa and just finished 10th grade.

I've done track this year and volleyball last year but I'm not on varsity for high school I've also played on a ...

WAR WORLD 3 good or bad?
Try analyzing this question without stupidity but logic, thanks.

"after war always comes peace" do you think is good to have a war right now. Its is just a cycle in human life, ...

I wanna be in the army?
ok i whanna be in the army or military (idk if they are the same) and i dont know how to tell me mom and idk even if i should tell her yet cause im only 14. but how should i tell her and when should ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, July 31, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links