Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

How Many G's can a human body endure?
Find answers to your legal question.

How Many G's can a human body endure?

If a person is interested in becoming a military pilot how much of a G-force are they to endure?

Billy11B
Rating
"Human tolerances depend on the magnitude of g-force, the length of time it is applied, the direction it acts, the location of application, and the posture of the body."

1) Vertical axis g-force:
a) positive: untrained: 5 g; trained, with special suit: 9 g
b) negative (drive blood to the head): - 3 g
c) instantaneous: 40 g
d) deadly: 100 g (record: 179 g)

2) Horizontal axis g-force
"The human body is considerably more able to survive g-forces that are perpendicular to the spine."
Untrained humans:
a) pushing the body backwards: 17 g
b) pushing the body forwards: 12 g

3) "Strongest g-forces survived by humans
Voluntarily: Colonel John Stapp in 1954 sustained 46.2 g in a rocket sled, while conducting research on the effects of human deceleration.
Involuntarily: Formula One racing car driver David Purley survived an estimated 179.8 g in 1977 when he decelerated from 173 km·h−1 (108 mph) to 0 in a distance of 66 cm (26 inches) after his throttle got stuck wide open and he hit a wall."
Source for all quotes and further information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-force

Archangel
Rating
That depends on if you are talking about sustained G's or instantaneous G's and the angle of their pilot seat. Most military pilots train to endure sustained G's of about 9 G's. Nearly all modern fighter aircraft seats are reclined to 30 degrees so that pilots can sustain more G forces. They also wear G-suits to help with that. However, the human body can endure much more instantaneously. On Dec. 10, 1954 Col. (Dr.) John P. Stapp experienced the highest sustained G-force ever endured by man. He attained a then-world record land speed of 632 mph, going from a standstill to a speed faster than a .45 bullet in five seconds on an especially-designed rocket sled, and then screeched to a dead stop in 1.4 seconds, sustaining more than 40g's of thrust, all in the interest of safety.

mnbvcxz52773
Rating
I read somewhere that humans as is can pull about six.

Pilots wear suits and do some other tricks that let it get up to about 10. They do black out, but it usually only lasts a second or two. It basically has to do with keeping blood in your head, so pressuring the legs with straining and the special suits allow for the extra.

mechnginear
I believe that 9 G's is considered the top end.

psychosolodiver
I believe it is 10 Gs.

Joz
Rating
not sure what they require , but i know they will never pull more than 10 like an aerobatic pilot.

the G-suits inflate to push blood to your brain and keep it out of your useless legs.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

After 9/11 how many familes no longer have family member. stay the buck out of it?
they didn't line them up and shoot them . let them do there job what ever it may be. stop babysitting those less then people . torture is less then just plain dead wel those people in the twin ...

ROTC REQUIRMENTS?????????????
Are there any requirements once you become a cadet like a required gpa or something like that?...

Do i still have to take the asvab if i have a associate degree?

Pakistan situation : Could taliban take over the country ?
is it possible for the Taliban to take over pakistan? And what if they get there hands on the nuclear weapons we will be doooooooooommmmed?...

What do you have to do to be a marine officer?
i'm a senior in high school thinking about being a marine officer.
what do you have to do..??
how can the marines pay my college??
what is required??
if i scored low on the SA...

Will be 37 weeks pregnant when husband ETS's out of the ARMY, how can I keep my coverage for the birth?
My husband is ETSing in June of 2009. My Due date is July 11th,2009. We were told by tricare they will not cover us after his ETS date of June 21, being this is a pre exsisting condition insurance ...

Boyfriend is flying 27 hours for his R&R to come see me...?
What do i say? What do I wear? Im so excited but so scared that im not what was before. I havent seen him since Nov 1st. Im 5'4" 110lbs. Any Ideas on what i could do for him?...

Should I still apply for scholarships even after Im accepted to the USNA?
I have accepted my appointment and I have an interview for a scholarship at my school but recently my guidance counselors have been asking if I need scholarship money since the naval academy is paid ...

What is Fairchild Air Force Base like?
I am moving all the way there from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. What is it like? What can I expect? What is the city of Spokane like? What is there to do up there?...

What would happen if nuclear weapons were to be set off?
pleaseee helppp me to answerr thiss questioon

like world would be a better place to ...

Waiver?????????????????
Is it possible to get a waiver to get into the army WHILE ON PROBATION?
Additional Details
Non-Felony probation, its from a DUI over a year ago, all i do is call once a month....

Language Fluency after Defense Language Institute?
I am going to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, CA to learn spanish, I took two years of it in high school and I am wanting to find out from someone who has already been through the course ...

Air Force P.J school?
I just wanted to ask me and my older brother are both paramedics and nationaly registered and we are both looking into the air force either the sere school instructor or para rescue school we have ...

Navy CTT(cryptology tech technical?
ok. so im in dep...i was given this program..does anyone know what the A school is like? is it hard...is that even a good rating? hmmm i have no idea i just picked that over admin.......

Do Army Mp's get badges?
I have read elsewhere that they are authorized to wear badges during special occasions... But I've never seen an Army MP wearing a badge.
I know they can GET one but I don't know if ...

Anyone here a cadet or was an army ROTC CADET?
If so can you contact me i have some questions thanks very much....

Would America ever disband the Marine Corps?
I am not asking for this to happen, I think it would be terrible, but I'm asking if in the future, would it be possible-- for either an economic, political or social (unpopularity) reason-- for ...

Military: My smart card has been blocked, How do I regain access to the server?

Sould we talk to our enemies?
As James Baker so aptly noted; "we don't seek to make friends of our friends; we seek to make friends of our enemies". But, that is a Christian principle which many Christians do not ...

Will we have to invade Pakistan to get to their nukes before the Taliban?

Additional Details
the Pakistan army want no part of tighting the Taliban and they get more power and area every day,does not look good,...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links