Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

How did the Vietnam War impact Vietnam Australian veterans and their families?
Find answers to your legal question.

How did the Vietnam War impact Vietnam Australian veterans and their families?

I am doing a History assignment on the impact of the Vietnam War on Australian veterans and their families. If anyone has some information about it or even personal experiences I would love to find out. My assignment is initially on the Australian veterans but if you have info on American soldiers that is fine too :)

Aphrodite_Mermaid
My dad was 20, living in Melbourne and in 1966, his birth date was called out on TV. This meant that that he, along with others, would have to report to an army office to be conscripted, in order to protect Australia “from the communists” in Vietnam. He was engaged to my 17 year old mother at the time. Dad had been successfully running his own building business , since he was 17. As he later commented, he went willingly, in the “spirit of the Anzac tradition” and did what he was asked to do – “my birth date was pulled out of a box on TV".

He did his required deployment, but stayed on, and ended up staying for a total of 10 years. During this time, he also married my mother and they had my older brother. Due to his absences, mum did most of the child-raising. When dad eventually quit the army, he resumed his previous vocation as a self-employed builder, with success.

I ponder how my mother coped with a husband who was in Vietnam and a small child, all the while watching the news coverage of the war on tv (it was, the first 'televised' war).

There were certain things that my siblings and I had to accept as kids, without really knowing why. For example, on New Years Eve, unlike all the other families I knew, we were never allowed to sit and watch the fireworks over Sydney Harbour Bridge, because Dad hated the sound of the fireworks. He also used to break out in a cold sweat at the sound of a chopper. Mum used to say, it was because he "spent too much time in the jungles in Vietnam".

It wasn't until I was about 17, whilst watching a report on 60 Minutes, that I realized he showed some signs of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), although he would never admit or acknowledge it.

In the 1970’s, due to the unpopularity of the Vietnam War, people treated returned Vets badly and dad, along with many other Vets, felt alienated. I recall once being in a pub, when I was very little. It was after we’d watched the parade on Anzac Day and Dad was chatting to an old guy, who jokingly made a comment, (he was a WW2 Vet); "Oh well, at least we won OUR bloody war, not like you blokes!" Dad biffed him, right then and there!

In October, 1987, the Vietnam Veterans proudly marched through the streets in Australia and the country opened its heart and welcomed them back in. People lined the streets, waving and cheering. It was a wonderful day of acknowledgment.

Dad made lifelong friends in Vietnam, some of whom he kept in touch with, right up until his death four years ago, including some American friends he'd made whilst deployed. He told me that they had introduced him "to all good music; R 'n' B, soul, bloody good stuff".

I can remember as a child, seeing the letters arrive in the post, bearing exotic stamps, postmarked USA, from the families of blokes whom he'd met whilst in Vietnam. Sometimes, a letter would arrive or he'd get a call from a family member and the news wasn't good, like the time one of his old mates had committed suicide.

After dad retired from his building career, 6 years ago, I bought him a computer, and he was thrilled to bits at being able to contact some of his old mates!

He was in the process of planning a return trip to Vietnam, of which my brother and myself were to have accompanied him, when he received news that he had lymph cancer. He was also planning to go to the USA, to catch up with some old mates. He passed away 4 years ago, on 17th August.

When I hear the sounds of Otis Redding, or Jimi Hendrix, or the Easybeats, I think of dad. I think about the trip he never made back to Vietnam and of the trip he never made to the USA. I also think about all of the sacrifices he made for this country, as a 20 year old.

In the end, it wasn't "charlie" that took his life, it was 'jack the dancer'.

RIP

Angel75
Rating
Both American and Australian vets had to deal with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder because of all the stuff they had to deal with. True, the Aussies did not have as much involvement as the U.S. but they did do a lot of heavy fighting in the early part of the war ie 1967-1969.

Mr Puma
Rating
Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia
Australian Vietnam Veterans Organisations
Welcome to the National Vietnam Veterans Museum
Department of Veterans' Affairs (AU)
VIETNAM WAR FACTS VS FICTION (US)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Question about becoming a navy SEAL...?
How well do you need to be able to swim before joining? I am planing on being a marine, ranger, or something else before trying out to be a SEAL, but how well should I be able to swim before joining ...

Care package to deployed soldier?
So I am getting a big box of stuff ready to send to my husband & I was just wanting to know if we are allowed to send them drinks...??? Also, I have alot of stuff in the box, more than I can fit ...

Parents Do not support USMC?
My parents do not support my decision becoming a Marine. will they ever support me? will they be proud their son is a UNITED STATES MARINE?...

Who is the most famous character that initiated the non-violence movement?

I'm preping for Pararescue Indoc and was wondering where/why most of the guys washout?
I know the majority of the boys washout in the pool, but is there one certain point where they break or does it just depend on the individual person? I live in CA and surf every day, I'm ...

9/11 2001.A hidden truth which is still hidden?What do you think?
Every one thought that taliban is behind 9/11.But i dont think so because USA made talibans and other Jahadi groups in Afghanistan.
You know that during Russia-Afghanistan war, USA train ...

Coast Guard Boatswain's Mate Question!!!?
what do we need to have to become an Boatswain's Mate(coast guard)...

My boyfriend is in the U.S. Army and just got deployed for the first time what should I expect?
He is in qatar.
How is it there?
Will I get to talk to him?
What do I have to worry about?...

Do special forces groups get to choose their own guns?
I'm just wondering because i have this book that says G36Cs' are popular among counter-terrorists. That makes me think that they choose their gun....

Fast promoting jobs in the navy?
what are some fast promoting enlisted jobs in the navy?...

Is a soldier who kills enemy`s with hate in his heart no better than a murderer?
In my opinion such a person is a war criminal, not a soldier anymore.
Additional Details
Max: I know what i am talking about, why dont you just shut your mouth ...

Navy need information about Information System Technician (IT)!?
Currently I'm in the SECF program but my recruiter has me in for a rate change for CTN. Yesterday he tells me they have an opening in IT and was wondering if I wanted it. He also mentions that ...

Makeing the Marine Corps a career?
Im planning on staying in 20+ and ill be retired at the age of 40....

For military wives? While your hubby is away?
OK, so my fiance/common law husband is away right now with the military. I currently just finished my University and have been writing exams for the last few weeks. This is the first time we have ...

This time I got a 47 on my afqt?
Right now I am currently getting into the army or trying to. I dont have a high school diploma or a GED so I am looking towards the education program where the army helps you get the GED. The first ...

Can I reenlist in the Navy; it's been nearly 8 years since I last served in the military?
Can I reenlist in the Navy; it's been nearly 8 years since I last served in the military?...

How to become a Air Force Pilot?
I'm a sophomore in high school.
I was told to enlist when im old enough, and as i get a degree from CCAF, i should stay good and apply for air force academy .

but what should my ...

What is antrax???????????

Are u allowed to have a cell phone in basic training in the air force?

Indian air-force can fly the fighter jets to newyork-london and such cities?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links