Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

How old do you have to be to join the U.S. Marine Corps, Someone told me 18 but someone else told me 21?
Find answers to your legal question.

How old do you have to be to join the U.S. Marine Corps, Someone told me 18 but someone else told me 21?

kabster
Rating
You can join at 17 with your parent's signature. 18 is the normal acceptance age.
I joined and served at 17
It was either that or I was going to end up in prison if I continued my ways.

IF YOU HAVE ANY BRAINS. GO AIR FORCE
That's what I did.

bryan_tannehill
Actually, early enlistment can happen at 17 with parental permission. 18 otherwise.

C. C
Rating
17 years old with parental consent

Harley
18.....17 with parental consent.

SgtMoto
18 or seventeen with parents permission.

hot84_chic
You can actually join at 17 with a parents signature. But, I wouldn't suggest it. In my opionin you should at least be 18.

Make sure you get a lot of info before joining. It is a very big decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. The marines have a very dangerous job.

I thank those who have served though!

auspatriot
Rating
It is 17 if you have graduated from high school and have parental consent. Someone mentioned having a GED. If you have a GED you are not eligible but it is waiverable if you have attained 15 College Credit Hours. Having those college credits at 17 is highly unlikely. Before going to Recruit Training you enter what is called the DEP or Delayed Entry Program. This includes going to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) successfully getting the required ASVAB score, successfully completing the physical examination, and swearing in. From that point you are eligible to go to recruit training as of the point you recieve and official
highschool diploma. Although, at 17 before you may go to MEPS you must have parental consent.

rogueriverbob
Rating
18 and have a high school diploma

tmrtnsn
If you have your high scool diploma and are only 17 you can have your parents sign a paper and you can join at 17.Without your parents signature you have to be 18.

81st BCT Guy!
Lol... or you be smart and join the Army... Seriously, though, it's 18 w/ a Diploma or GED. Although I have heard it's 17 for Reserves w/ parental approval.

Living In Korea
Rating
This accurate type of information is unavailable on Yahoo Answers.

You must visit with, or telephone your hometown military Recruiters for the very latest information. (A visit is best when getting your information.)

Right now, start making a list of all the questions you can think of. When the time comes, take your list of questions with you to the hometown military Recruiter and "pick their brain" to ensure all your questions are answered.

Also ask what types of high school courses you would also need to graduate high school, which would be to your advantage for your potential future job, when enlisting in the military.

La-te-da
Rating
By federal law (10 U.S.C., 510), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 42. However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:

Active Army - 42
Army Reserves - 42
Active Air Force - 27
Air Force Reserve - 34
Active Navy - 34
Naval Reserves - 39
Active Marines - 28
Marine Corps Reserve - 29
Active and Reserve Coast Guard - 27

However, prior service enlistees can receive an "age waiver." In most cases, the amount of age that can be waived depends upon the amount of time the individual previously spent in the military. For example, let's say that an individual has four years of credible military service in the Marine Corps and wants to join the Air Force. The Air Force could waive the individual's maximum enlistment age to age 31 (Maximum age of 27 for the Air Force, plus four years credible service in the Marines). For the Marine Corps, the maximum age of enlistment for prior service is 32, after computing the prior-service age adjustment.

Roadrunner58-79
17 Years of age with written permission from
1 or 2 parents or legal guardian and you have to have a High School Diploma in order to enlist into the United States Marine Corps!!!!
Otherwise the age is 18!!

pusherhombre
Rating
When I was in the Armed Forces, the minimum age was 17, the same age for West Point and the other service academies.

Don B
18 would be correct

Paulien
it's 18 with a high school diploma or GED.

jim by the bay
Rating

AniMeyhem!
Rating
Trust me on this; it's 18. You can die for your country before you're allowed to have a beer; go figure...

pj
it's definately 18 unless you are emancipated then i believe you can sign up after 16 yrs old. all military branches are 18, that's why they have the ASVAB test in your sophomore year.

saerakinz. <3
lol AniMeyhem!

Chris
Its 18 after highschool.

crushem
You have to be STUPID to join the USMC

age...for stupidity is 18 and up

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How did Adof Hitler die?

Well i wont to join the marines.....im 15 .....what do you think about it???
well i have 2 brothers that are in the marines. and i have been thinking alot about going. its not something that just poped in my head ive been thinking about it for 5 years now. im very cool will ...

Why should we support Israel?
Just wondering. US support of Israel brings the US nothing but grief from Middle Eastern countries.

Peace between Palestine and Israel will never be attained through the use of force. D...

A moment you will never forget from basic training?

If i get prgnant.........deploymen...
if i get pregnant and my husband gets deployed and i am due to give birth while he is away will he be able to come back for the birth at all or no?...

If a nuclear bomb hit...?
What is the range of a nuclear bomb. I mean if It hits one place how many miles would be effected by it?...

Honestly, do REALY think the war in Iraq is moral ?
Remember, Iraq had NOTHING to do with 9/11 and the WMDs were never found. By the way, the nerve gas they used on the Kurds was provided by the U.S.
Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis killed, ...

Is it true that you have to give up custody of your kids when you join the air force?

I was in Iraq for 16 months. I didn't see combat but a year later I still suffer from nightmares and anxiety.
Can any one explain this or help me find a way to make it go away?...

Is killing people really the best method for attaining peace?
I am not very liberal, although this question may truly cast that sort of light upon me.

But it makes me wonder...does it really make logical sense for us to drop bombs on people in order ...

What is the legal age for a child to kill according to the 'army'?

Additional Details
how does the army justify this?...

Why does the USA military think they are wanted in other countries?
The USA military has no right to be the bully of the world. When will they ever learn?...

What? does tony blair want nuclear bombs for?

Which is the best? Army, Navy, Airforce, Marines, or Coast Guard?
Just curious?...

Should our soldiers be provided with alcohol after retirement?

Is Sarah Palin Dangerous?

Could Israel attack Great Britain like they did to Gaza?
I know this seems far fetched but dont be suprised with what Israel has done. They have conducted air raid missions 1000's of miles away from its borders in places like Uganda, heck Uganda!,

What should be done to prevent the third world war?

Difficult situation? Stay in or Get OUT?
Well, I am currently deployed in Iraq and have served in the US Army for 8 years. I am under 1 year and am having a hard time deciding to re-enlist or get out?
This has been my only job since ...

Is the Navy necessary for a country? or in other words; Do we need a Navy?
My Asian friend has been arguing with me on this topic for months and there will be more months to argue about it more. We are taking comments and want to know what you think about the Navy. I am for ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links