Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

How old do you have to be to sign up for any branch of the military?
Find answers to your legal question.

How old do you have to be to sign up for any branch of the military?

I have a son that is military bound..by his own choice. He has attitude and responsibility problems. Blames all his mistakes on everyone else.Would the military be a good choice or ..........?

Jeff K
Ah yes, I know the type well. :)

The military can be a good choice for a personality-type such as that, however, the military, as any total -life-changing experience, is only as good as you make it. If he goes in with an open mind, keeps his mouth shut and his eyes open, and has his horizons broadened, then he has an excellent chance at achieving that extra step of growing up into a more mature adult. However, if he goes in with the mind-set that everything is gonna be his way or no way... well.. I've seen plenty of guys get discharged, or even sent to the brig for insubordination for such behavior. Not saying that this could happen to your son... but... he REALLY has to make sure that this is A. what he wants, and B. what he is prepared to sacrifice of himself over. The one term that I can attribute my years in the military was just that... sacrifice. I gave of my time, my beliefs, my intellect, my body, my heart... everything. I lost, and I gained more back in it's place. So.... the short answer is... the military can be good... if he's ready to accept the responsibility of being a good serviceman. :)

As for the age factor... I believe that you can sign up as early as 16 (maybe 17).. with a delayed enlistment until the 18th birthday. Unless you have special waivers, and signed documents from parents and everyone under the sun, the military generally won't accept anyone under the age of 18 into active duty. Once you get past 18.. and preferably out of high school... then you're extremely desireable to them.

Hope this helps. If any other questions feel free to message me directly. :)

hazzardcountygal09
Rating
18 i think

beth l
Rating
You don't say how old he is...My husband and I met at military school in Roswell NM. It is called New Mexico Military Institute. They have a 4 yr high school and 2 yr collage program. You may want to try something like this before you go full out in the military. He can come home if he hates the school. I think once you join the military for REAL it is pretty hard to get out unless you do something wrong and that will stay with you for life.

Email if you want info on NMMI

iknowtruthismine
As a draftee in the last contrived war (Vietnam), I think you should ask the question, "How smart do you have to be to join any military controlled by the idiot currently sitting in The White House ?".

A Guy
Rating
Agreed. You can be killed walking home from the library. I would go so far as to say that young men and women fresh from HS who serve in the military for a while are much safer in the long-run than those who do not. The military instills discipline, responsibility and accountability, something that is entirely lacking in the all-knowing, invincible teenagers fresh from HS. I think your son has probably made one of the most mature choices he could make. While he may not want to admit it, a portion of his choice to enter the military is because he recognizes his flaws and seeks a way to better himself. How mature! You should be very proud of your son. Thank you for raising such a young man.

james m
18 years old. The military would do him good. it will teach him responsibility; for his own actions and to those around him.

Oh! The Humanity!
Rating
In the United States, 17 years old with the parents' permission...18 without.

edgemaker_pro
Rating
18 and it would be a good choice for any young man or woman
he will put the things of childhood behind him..He will get a chance to serve his country..and protect the freedoms that we enjoy because of other young 18 years olds- who joined to defeat America's enemies...he can make no better choice..he will be transformed into new person..one who understands that God favors this country...but only as long as BRAVE men protect it..

He will learn responsiblity..and take to heart his faults and shortcomings.All that will be torn down and the adult man built up...you will love him for it...he will be proud of himself for doing it. Our country will be grateful for his service..

ari_is_me
Rating

cj
18, i think some you can be 17

DOOM
17 with parental consent. You can join the army reserves at the age of 16 with parental consent. The military will quickly adjust his attitude, but might not work on the responsibility issue.

frontstreetboy2004
military would be a BAD choice for him. he could get himself killed. Why not a job???

dukalink6000
Rating
He should investigate what he will get out of the military, but he has to be 18 to join up.

Pobept
Rating
military is a good choice
17 years with a parents signature
18 otherwise
must be a high school graduate

starting over
My son grew up in the Navy, I could not and still can not believe how he changed.

I think it is a great choice.

You must be 18, I assume he has graduated or will graduate from HS.

In response to the comment about him getting kill, just a few months before my son left for the Navy, 2 friends of his died, in a car accident on the way home from a family reunion.

You can get killed anywhere, and the statistically the way teens drive, especially males, I think the military is safer.

whatever496
i joined when i was 17 with diploma and parental consent

babyface_2400
Rating
You have to be at least 18. And i and you have to take a series of test. And score a certain number on it. The numbers vary it depends on which branch you are trying to go to. and you have to pass a physical. And if you son goes to the military believe me he won't have attitude and responsibility problems. And yes the military is a good idea. Remember you get a bonus and you can pick a job and go to school for free. Free housing, food, and you get paid twice a month. can't get any better than that. Just tell him to really think about it, it's a big step to take. It;s four or more years of your life away from family, friends and the surroundings that he is use to. Just think. But it is a good responsible decision to make.

sandy c
Rating
my son enlisted in the delayed entry program when he was 17, he was a senior in HS, he had to have my signature of course, but he had known for years that was what he wanted. he has been in boot camp now, for 2 1/2 weeks, he is still 17, won't be 18 till Sept.

d4nthem4n
Rating
17 w/parents permission, 18 otherwise. tell your son to get a job and maybe he'll learn something about responsibility. i wouldn't want to have my life rely on an irrisponsible smart-alec with a gun. Him in the military right now = bad idea.

asterisk_dot_asterisk
18. but if your 17 and have your diploma and parents permission you can get in too.

I believe the military would be a good choice. It will teach him responsibility. Something it sounds like he's lacking. And they'll straighten up his attitude problem.

hollywood71@verizon.net
Rating
17 is the youngest if the parents sign. the military will straighten him out fast as well as his team mates especially in boot camp. screw ups got blanket parties and *** beattings if they thought they were better than everyone esle.

Ken W
Rating
You have to be 18 to sign up for the military.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

In battle, would you rather use current weapons or old style weapons.?
Lets say the world changes and everyperson has to use these types of weapons. Which would you perfer to use and why? Current weapons being like tanks, plaines, nukes, guns. Or would you reather use ...

Can a 14 year old join the u.s army and fight in iraq?
i want to ...

Fellow Military and Military vets how do you feel?
How do you feel about people who make vulger and generalizing statements about our troops.
Calling us murderers, rapist, and etc.
And we fight for thier right to make such statements.

Usa: land of non thinking bullies, obey us or we bomb you into stone age.....accurate description??

Additional Details
yes i am aware ...

The U.K and U.S.A invaded Iraq because of the possibility of W.O.M.D but haven't invaded North Korea,WHY?

Is 25 to old to join the military now,or is better when your younger?

Is Osama still alive or did USA killed him and didn´t notify it just to keep the war?

What happens if you refuse to go to boot camp after you sign an Army Contract?

British Soldier. Well done for doing a good job? OR Would rather spit on them than saying well done?
What's your view on our soldiers? Are they good lads and lasses doing a hard job? Or are they viewed as baby killers and murderers?

Only sensible answers which don't offend (too ...

What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit L.A?
What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit L.A? ( please no terminator answers) this is a serious question . and what would happen to the area surrounding LA . What would be the consequences to the ...

Do you think the American people (private citizens) could overtake the U.S. Military?
Is this possible from a logistical and practical standpoint being that there are 2-3 million american gun owners compared to 1.5 million active duty military personnel (even though total armed forces ...

My Son, just turned 18 wants to leave the Army. Buying out is no longer an option. How does he do it?
He signed on for 4 years. Now hes bored stupid.
Additional Details
Doh! And theres me thinking he could just walk away! It never occured to me that I shgould offer him encouragement to ...

Why does the media only report the negative, and not the good from Iraq?
You never hear about how our troops and government, build schools, or train the poeple, etc....

Y dont homeless people just join the army or navy or something?
wouldnt it be better then eating **** off the street and getting flicked off when you beg for food,yea its tough as hell but still it beats lhaving nothing
Additional Details
"Good ...

Should I join the Marine Corps or Coast Guard?
As the end of my school years draw closer, I have been wondering which one I should go into. I have a great interest in flying fighter jets like the USMC Harrier or the AH-64 Apache Blackhawk ...

Do you think there could be a world war 3 in nr future like some people make out?

Additional Details
I think this is the ...

How many people secretly wished that Bush got knocked on his head with that shoe?

Additional Details
I didn't realize that a variation of this same question has been asked so many times on yahoo answers, so for those of you who have had enough on the subject, I ...

Which one is the more dangerous weapon our military has ever possesed? Nuclear weapon or Biochemical weapon?
Both have given me terrible cold-feeted by just thinking of it... surely both are lethal, but which one is deadlier?...

I hate the Army and I want out.?
I recently swore into the Army Reserves. I've been to drill, and I HATE the Army. Joining was the biggest mistake of my life. I love and support the military and it's soldiers, and I ...

What is the exact reason you can't go into Area 51?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links