Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

If Marines are called Jarheads what are the Army and the Navy guys called?
Find answers to your legal question.

If Marines are called Jarheads what are the Army and the Navy guys called?

I've heard that the Army guys are called "Grunts", why?

SGT. D
Rating
First of all, lets get something straight, the Terms; Grunt, Dogface, Jarhead, Leatherneck, Squid and any other Term used to describe Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen or Marines, are terms of endearment and should only be used by other Vets. Second, if you are not a Vet, shut the hell up about these terms, for you do not have the right to use them. No matter what Branch we served in, Vets all agree on that. Civilians are not welcome to those terms.

tercelclub
Army - Dog Faces, Grunts (from WW2)
Navy - Squids (From WW2)
Marines - Jarheads, Leathernecks (From WW2(?))
Air Force - Fly Boys (From Vietnam)

briang731/ bvincent
Infantry men are grunts whether they're army or Marines. One slang used to refer to soldiers (army) is Dogface. The navy enlisted personnel (Sailors) are often called Swabees, or Anchor clankers, or weenie cleaners. Hell, there are probably a dozen more that will appear before everyone answers.

Army guys have been called grunts [infantryman] and dogfaces, Navy guys have been called squids.

tree8588
grunts and squids

Marc h
Rating
Intelligent by comparison. Grunt has a lot to do with "Nam and humping through the boonies. Try carrying 80 pounds on your back and in a sorry designed rack. Listen for what you say. Easy.

PoliticallyIncorrect
Rating
Army ~~Dogfaces, GI, Soldiers,
Navy ~~ Saliors, Squids,Swabbies
Air Force~~ Flyboys
Marine~~ Leatherneck, Devil Dog,

Rich S
Rating
SLANG FOR ARMY......DOGGIES SLANG FOR NAVY....SWABBIES.........GRUNTS IS A TERM USED BY ALL GROUND UNITS TO DENOTE THE SOUND THEY MAKE WHILE HUMPING ALL THEIR GEAR UP AND DOWN HILLS. ALSO REFERED TO AS GROUND POUNDERS.

Drop Zone
Rating
Army Dogs (or dogface) and Navy Squids. A grunt is an Infantry Soldier specifically - because the carry the brunt of the Army mission - and grunt alot when doing it, but a dogface is any generic Army Soldier.

lee3620111
Rating
Sailors are often called "Squids" after the sea creature. Soldiers are also called "Grunts:" which is a term used to describe any Infantryman...because he grunts a lot carrying a heavy load on his back. Other terms for Sailors are "Salts" and "Tars." Another for Soldiers are "Doughboys."

roy_glen2003
Havent you heard the old saying, the Army does the work, Marines get the name and Sailor's get the pay. Marines are known as Jarheads. Army is known as grunts or flat feet. Navy is known as Tarheels.

Bill
Rating
As an infantryman only Infantry are called Grunts. All other MOS's are called Pouges.

Rich B
Rating
I remember Army being called "Dogfaces" and Navy sailors were "Squids". Grunts...I recall it has a lot to do with the humping of packs through the jungle. They go about 40-50 pounds.

josh h
Grunt is used for all combat arms MOS's Army or Marines.

chris
Rating
A few marines I know call Army and Navy guys "*******"

Mike
Grunt is a term for Infantryman only. Not anyone in combat arms. I would never call an Artilleryman a grunt, and he wouldn't call himself that either. Grunt is infantry.

someone that had Family in the Marines and Army and Navy
I am very PROUD of my family that served and still servin for Our Country and I have ask what and why they was called a Jarhead and all the other names.So thanks people for bein polite enough to answer. God Bless Our TROOPS

SPC.T
Hmm, nobody mention AirForce having the nickname Zoomies. Unless I missed it then nevermind me! This contribution by a young dogface who's proud of his zoomi pops and grunt grandpa :)

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Should the U.S. develop an orbiting anti-missle laser system?
It would eliminate the risk of Iran or North Korea being able to hit the U.S. with nuclear ballistic missles.

Of course there's going to be a tiny wackjob minority that will be ...

What about your opinion about war in Iraq?
DID IT FAILED ?...

How come the majority of us were all for the 2nd war with iraq before it started?
but now we are all against it now?
why is that?
why cant we just support our troops and president, because the president only did what the majority of the united states wanted at the time.<...

I am 15 and overweight but I want to enlist into the marines when i turn18?

Could Forrest Gump and Bubba be U.S. soldiers?
the millitary took mentally challenged people during vietnam?...

When a civilian discovers a United States Marine weeping at a Big Boy restaurant should one ask what's wrong?

Congress just gave them selves a $15 hr raise, should it of gone to our troops instead?

Is the Navy or the Marines Harder? Why?

Is it a good idea to move near my husband while he's in AIT?
He wants me to move there, but I'm having mixed opinions we have a 2 month old son. He is gonna be gone for 18+ weeks. I need some straight answers and no insults please
Additional Details<...

What would happen if....we took $100billion from defense and put it into education?
http://www.federalbudget
According to this site in 2007 we spent about $580 billion on defense and about $60 billion on education. Could we not still be safe with $480 billion on ...

If they reinstated the draft, could we win in Iraq?

Additional Details
I didn't expect all these really good answers. Thank you....

Which is better Marines or Army? Why?

Can I tell the United States that Iraq did not do 9-11?
Ok. Here it goes. There were no Iraqi people on board those planes that hit THE WTC. Now tell me again why we are in Iraq?...

Will America be sad over this milestone?
BAGHDAD - The overall U.S. death toll in Iraq rose to 4,000 after four soldiers were killed in a roadside bombing in Baghdad, a grim milestone....

Is Iran next in line?

I know how to win the war in Iraq. The key is filtration....?
of informers. I would do it, by implanting spies in Iran. You need a crew of people working among the insurgents. Figure out key figures, targets, plans e.t.c. What do you think?...

What would you say to someone who's nervous about bootcamp but stil wants to join?
seen too many boot camp ...

Do you find this amusing about the brave American Troops?
(NOTE:...Eight dead troops. How can this be?....We are so powerful and they are so weak....How can this be? Someone tell me!!...)................................... 03-Sep-2006 6 | US: 6 | Other:...

Should I feel guilty for not deploying?
I served in the Marines for 4 years from 2002 to 2006. However, I never deployed to iraq, my entire unit didn't. I tryed to get orders elsewhere, but couldn't. I was a contract ...

What is the best way to get out the army while in basic training?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, August 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links