Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

If i join the Air Force, will i have to go to Iraq??
Find answers to your legal question.

If i join the Air Force, will i have to go to Iraq??

i want to join the military, and what i've read hear and heard from others, Air Force is the best one to join. As much as I love my country, i DO NOT want to go to Iraq lol. I was wondering if I join the AF, would I have to go to Iraq? If so, how long would I stay and what would I do there?
Additional Details
i want to join because of the experience (not the fighting and risk getting injured experience) and to travel the world and all of the other good things that the military has to offer. the military isn't just for the people who want to fight, so dont judge me and think i'm bad because i don't want to go to Iraq. The military isn't just about fighting and wars, it's about alot of other things too.

alan r
usafbrat... good answer. When considering the odds of going to Iraq, the biggest factor I think is the job AFS you sign up for. I have been in the USAF since 1984. When I joined, I came in "open general" and so my ASVAB scores had a lot to do with the AFS (specialty) selection list (there were 10 to pick from). If you join "open general" and based on your ASVAB scores and the selection list you get during basic, odds are you can still pick a career that may not be in Iraq. Otherwise, be sure to get a "guaranteed job" in your enlistment contract prior to basic training.
Each AFS has considerations that may not be so apparent when talking to a recruiter. Check out this AFS for example: 2R1x1 Aircraft Maintenance Manager. Why? Aircraft assigned in the war mission are TDY transfer and typically don't have scheduled maintenance (scheduled maintenance is done prior to aircraft's TDY mission) and therefore, 2R1x1 "schedulers" are not much needed - because they schedule maintenance (scheduling doesn't schedule unscheduled maintenance). However, a very small percentage of this AFS' manning is still tasked for other jobs that may or may not be related to AFS' core job description.

Personally, I think that you might not be a good candidate for the USAF or DOD (sorry, just my opinion and not the USAF's). Part of being a good soldier or airman is taking the assignment and doing the best that you can with it regardless of where you go. Service before self.

"The Air Force bases these core competencies and distinctive capabilities on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do. The Air Force bases these core competencies and distinctive capabilities on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do. "

I'm Ayers best friend
Rating
WOW, what kind of "good" do you want to do for your country?? Sorry, I missed that....

usafbrat64
Rating
Depends upon the career field. Some careers never deploy, others deploy constantly, and others deploy constantly but to areas outside of Iraq.
Time in Iraq could be 4 months to 1 year.
Job...depends upon your career field. Lots of trans folk and security forces! Aircraft and maintainers are generally deployed to the region, but not incountry.

elevated - verfĂĽhrung
Rating
Then dont join the military. We are fighting and thats pretty much the job description.

NIKKI1118
No matter what branch you join. It is always a possibility. You have no say in whether you go or not. Maybe you should find another career path.

Kat R
Rating
Any branch of the military you get into your gonna sometime or another have to go fight in Iraq, its just whats going on now.

You would more than likely be doing stuff that you pick as a career in the military, and as far as staying out there, there is no real answer to that, I've heard 16 months, but some are being made to stay longer. So you never know.

afkl;djkf;akljsdf
Rating
your scared aren't you?

then why would you decide to enlist in the Air Force..then be a coward about it?

think about WHY you want to join the Air Force.
The Navy is better though.

Guessses, A.R.T.
You go where you are told to go.

Roadrunner58-79
Rating
There is a very high probability that you WILL be sent to Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere else that the
US Air Force is positioned at. You WILL GO wherever the US Air Force says that you'll go to
and absolutely NO questions asked!!!!!!

trev
You're going. Its just a choice of whether you are going to be there for 4-15 months. All services are there.

AFwife
dont listen to any of these the AF dont go INTO iraq or the AF doesnt go INTO combat people...im an AF spouse and my husband is about to go on his 4th iraq tour....2 8 months, 1 12 month.and this one will be another 12 months...and he HAS been in combat, doing convoy ops with the army. as a matter of fact since sept 11th hes never stayed out of the middle east longer than 8 months. so it will depend on your job...you could get lucky and do 3 months in kuwait.but you could do 12 months in the middle of baghdad sorry to tell you.

J K
Rating
Yes, you will most likely go. However for the AF in Iraq, think of a football game. The AF are like the guys sitting on the bench. They're on the field and now and then the ball may fly out of bounds at them, but for the most part they're just off doing their own thing until half-time is called.

Ricco J
Rating
By the time you complete your processing and training here, I think the need for troops in Iraq would have diminished greatly.

The odds of you ending up there if you haven't even joined yet are very slim. You'll probably end up doing a tour somewhere else...

bike eeter
yes of course you have a chance of going.

I AM THE RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY
All soldiers duty is to defend their nation and its interests if your not ready to do that then you are not ready to join.

Drock
you want to travel the world, isnt iraq part of that? really u see some **** most people dont. its still a good experience. but it depends on ur job if u goto iraq or not. the desert yes for sure. remember that inside the wire.. its fairly a safe place...

Miss K
Rating
The AF IS the best one to join if you want to be a civilian playing dress up. Going to war is a risk you take by joining. If you want "experience" go join the peace corp or something. The military doesnt need any more weenies who file as conscientous objectors or bad mouth their country.

matt mcd
I would say that there is a good chance you will end up in Iraq and an even better chance that you will be sent to Afghanistan, tours of duty usually last 6 months! i think. I have applied to join the Army (Scots Guards) and after initial fears about going overseas to fight, i got over it. I quickly realised that it will be my job and hat i will be highly trained to handle myself in any situation.
I think for a conclusive answer you need to be speaking to a recruitment officer at your local AFCO (Armed Forces Careers Office). Good luck in whatever you do buddy.

Edit- I would sincerely hope that no-one is judging you, after all you have decided to join up which is a really hard decision to make. I echo the comments of a couple of the people on here that pointed out to you that you WILL be sent on tour. I understand that you want to gain valuable life experience, a trade and 'see the world' but you have to realise that the trade off for all that good stuff is doing a tour of duty in whatever god forsaken hell hole they want to send you to. I don't want to sound too harsh but ou may want to grow up a little if you think that you are so special that they will let you get away with not 'serving your country', after all thats what you're really there for. I'll say it again, good luck in whatever you choose to do.

AF FE
Rating
Will you have to go to Iraq? If you get orders and your job is needed over there then yes you will HAVE to go. But chances are you may not be in a combat situation (ie you having to shoot someone & someone shooting at you) you will be in a combat zone, so theres the chance someone is going to try to hurt you and you can't do anything about it. (My own experience we landed at an airfield in Iraq, while we were unloading the cargo the base came under mortar attack we had to evacuate the airplane & go into a shelter ...it was over pretty quick...we then fired up the jet, got out of "Dodge" & headed to Spain for some beers & pitchers of Sangria)
As for how long you'll be there, depends again on your job could be anything up to 4 or 6 months. And while you're there you'll do whatever job you've been trained to do & hopefully for you it's inside the fence instead of outside of it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How come some of you people are so "uninformed" about the military?
I get this " 42,500" killed in the USA last year ( Auto Accidents ) and we only lost 2,500 men in Iraq in the past 3 years. ( I know...I know...Women killed too ) But think about this....42...

What do you think of our USA Soldiers when they do things like this for an Iraqi young lady?
http://www.foxnews.com/s Details
cookiemonster, Obviously you didn't check the article, nor watch the Fox News on it....

How would you like the US to respond if North Korea's missile actually strikes Alaska in their upcoming test?

True or False: Bush could have saved more oil than he got in Iraq by not going there in the first place?

Conflict between Israel and Palestinian ?
Why is Israel soldiers targeting mostly children, woman, and old people? I don't get it - Blowing up schools, hospitals.Seriously Israel is one of the stupidest country Every.

Who ...

Who is the single greatest soldier in the history of the United States Military?
Give names and details....

Why is Iraq such a priority when there are many other countries .......?
who the richest country in the world should be helping?Countries like Darfur and Sudan.There are genocides going on and this rich and humongous country can only prioritize Iraq and its neighbors.I ...

Why Israel is using White phosphorus in Gaza?
A lot of civilians present severe burns from that chemical agent....

What was (or is) your MOS?

Can Nuclear Weapons Bring Peace?
During the Cold war, it was commonly accepted that MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) would prohibit 2 sides from using nuclear weapons becuase it would bring forth a devestating retaliation. When ...

Who was the king of USA?

Which branch of the military do you think is the best? if you had to join one [which one?] [and why?]?
I come from a military family. My parents were in the air force. So If I had to choose It would be the AF because thats what I was raised around and my parents benefit from it alot. I would like to ...

Is it hypocritical to favor the war but not fight in it?
1) In Afghanistan?

2) In Iraq?

I've seen it said for Iraq but not for Afghanistan.

Why?...

Can you die in the gas chamber for Basic Combat Training?

Additional Details
Thanks for all the answers guys!
I'm just reeeeeeeeeally nervous about this part of basic!!!!...

Why Canadian media is only following US interests in Georgia-Osetia war but not stating the truth?
The truth is there was no media covearge in Canada from the very first day when it was actually Georgia who started the war on Osetia (guess what: echelons of firearms fully supplied by US!)
So, ...

When is the right time to pullout of Iraq?
Is it time yet? If not when and how will we know?...

Who would you rather invade earth?
What would you rather have... an attack of the mutant, zombie, flesh eating chickens from mars ? , or a plague of giant, fanged, killer poisonous toads from hell ?...

Is it smart for anyone to join the Army since Bush destroyed our country?

What is worst guns or the people who own them?

SHOULD 16 YEAR OLDS BE DRAFTED OR VOLUNTEER FOR MILITARY SERVICE lN IRAQ?
16 or 18 what's the difference they're still children....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links