Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

If you were drafted during Vietnam, how did men find out ?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you were drafted during Vietnam, how did men find out ?

I'm writing a paper and I was wondering besides the fact that you had to register for the draft, how did men find out that they had actually been drafted?

William E
After you registered, you got a card with your draft lottery number on it. When I got mine is was A-68. The draft board then determines up to what number they would call to the draft. A-68 would have been low enough to get called to Viet Nam that year, but fortunately for me Mr. Nixon ended the draft the year I was eligible.

After the draft board determined what numbers got called up, letters were sent out to all the "lucky" winners of the draft. The letters told you where and when to report for a physical and induction into the military.

SpyGirl
They received a summons in the mail. Much like a jury summons.

CGIV76
Rating
You received a letter from the government. It started out with the phrase, GREETINGS......I enlisted in the Air Force shortly before receiving the letter. If I was going to go, I wanted to make my own choice.

american.voice
via U.S.Mail to a known address. registration is a responsibility by law and must have a mailing address on file.

BEACHRESCUE
Rating
Letter in the mail

runs_with_scissors
There was a lottery drawing, and men were notified by their local draft boards.

FCabanski
A man would first receive a notice to report for a physical examination. After the exam, if he was found healthy, he would receive a letter notifying him he had to report for service (he had been drafted.)

The link has copies of each letter.

GoodGuy53
In 1971 they had a draft lottery. They put every day of the year (birthdays) into plastic eggs. Then, on a radio show, they opened every egg. The birthdays they drew first were the first to be drafted. The last were lucky because if they didn't get that far that year, you weren't drafted. Then they would send you a letter if you were drafted to tell you where and when to report. I was lucky. My birthday was about the 242nd egg.

♥♥Mrs SSG B♥♥
Rating
They were sent a letter, I believe...

There is an excellent Daffy Duck cartoon called "Drafty Daffy" where he's avoiding that "guy from the draft board". I realize they were talking about a different war, but it was some funny political satire.

Blitzpup
US Mail... Greetings from Uncle Sam

Roadrunner58-79
Rating
The Selective Service System sent you a nice friendly letter in the mail advising you
that your friends and neighbors have selected you to serve in the US Armed Forces and would give you a time and place where to report for Physicals and then induction into the US Army!!!
US ARMY(RET) 21 Years Vietnam 1967-1968-1971!! Above letter is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me, GOD!!

Amy S
Rating
There was a lottery at one point. I also remember hearing the newscasters announce draft numbers on the nightly news... so they'd say the pentagon had released the following series of draft numbers... so those guys would get draft notices.

I also remember my brother enlisted before his draft number came up, so he could choose his MOS. (Drafted = infantry, enlisted = air traffic controller, a career from which he retired last year.) I'm thinking, since he realized his number was getting closer to those on the list of guys getting called up, they must have done away with the lottery system at some point... but I was only 5 years old at the time, so I don't recall the particulars.

Theodore Sebastian
Their number got picked by their birthdate and they were sent a draft card. Thats real **** son.

Rex
Actually, you didn't register for the draft during the Vietnam War. There was no need to. Times were a lot simpler back then. The draft board simply printed the names and draft numbers of those who were called to service, and distributed them to every post office in the country to put on the "most wanted" bulletin board. They were also sent to federal buildings, court houses, libraries, community centers, fire stations, universities, colleges, high schools, social service centers, and of course the local newspaper. Not all papers chose to publish the list, it was political dynamite. Everyone in town knew when you got your number. They also knew what the number was, and when you were probably going to go. In my town, they actually had a betting board at the local bar where you could place wagers on the actual call-up date for a specific person. That's why so many men and women went to Canada. They knew ahead of time, so they simply boarded a bus and left behind the sane world they thought they knew, but were convinced it had gone insane.

I hope this helps. Take care.

helpmeeeeeeeeeeee
Not saying that i am sure or anything but you would guess either by phone by mail or by someone from the military coming and telling you. I am guessing your given mail that says to arive at x at a certain date and if you dont your technically breaking the law and can be arrested.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are we really in afghanistan ?
After 9/11, us/uk intelligence figured out very quickly that the attack was carried out by al-qaeda who were based in afghanistan.Despite not being able to figure out 9/11.
However, very quickly ...

This is not a joke! serious answers only please?
My son has just finished his Army training , and he is being ship out to Iraq in 30 days.
But what I want to find out is .WHAT IS THE LIFE EXPECTINCE 88 MIKE UNIT....FUEL TRUCK DRIVER ,
A...

Who will cry for the six USA military men killed yesterday?
The War supporters?
Additional Details
3 more killed tonight. ( 2nd April 07 ) No one really cares....

Why do some people in Yahoo answer questions about the Military when in fact they have no Impact and No Idea!!

If I joined the Army as a regular, could I make officer through experience and by excelling??
If I stood out and excelled could I become an officer if I joined up as a regular soldier, as I dont have the right qualifications and being nearly thirty dont have the time to go back and do all my G...

Why shouldn't kim jong il have nukular bombs, its his country, no one tells america what we can/can't have?
he won't attack anyone with them, cause he knows it would be suicide to do so....

Six years ago the war was over what happen.?

I need info on the military?
I want to know which military branchs are the first to be sent out. What military branches are not likely to be sent out. What does the National Guards, Coast Guard do? What military branches are ...

How much longer can the "surge" be kept up?
before the strain of repeated15 month rotations becomes too much for the military and its members....

A 3rd World War?
I think its definately gonna happen! Its just a matter of time! With all of the technology involved these days, a third world war could mean the end of mankind. Alot of people say that sense the U.S. ...

Venezuela's Chavez welcomes Russian warships?
what is your opinion?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/...

My son went to San Diego for Marine boot camp. It's been two weeks and I haven't gotten word from him yet
Is this normal? I'm sure he's fine, but i just wanted to send him something letting him know we are thinking of him and praying for him.
Thanks for any info you can offer....

A Civil War in America? Again?
Many things that the civil war was fought over like state's rights have never been resolved. and if i remember correctly representatives from vermont, mississippi, and south carolina met in a ...

How harsh is the training in the National Guard?

If you could ask Gen.Petraeus one question, what would it be ?

I believe that the only difference between a war hero and a war criminal is "who wins the war"?

Awol what happens when caught? please help?
my husband has been awol for about a year now and just got caught and taken back to fort hood 2 days ago. when will i hear from him? and what is going to happen to him? will they put him back in or ...

Do the bodies of our fallen soldiers always make it back home?

I was ordered to go to Iraq and my mother has just passed, what should i tell me C.O.??
I was just ordered to ship off to Iraq yesterday and my mother has just passed from cancer..I don't want to just leave my family, and I know my CO will be pissed if I just tell him I don't ...

What's the best way to tell your parents you plan on joining the military?
My father is supportive but a tad reluctant... my mom would FLIP out especially since I will be graduating from college in May. I won't be enlisting... I'll be doing Marine Corps OCS but ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links