Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

In order to try out to be a Navy SEAL, do I have to be in the Navy?
Find answers to your legal question.

In order to try out to be a Navy SEAL, do I have to be in the Navy?

I'm going to be joining the Marine Corp in less than a month, and from the start (three years ago) I have had an aspiration to become a SEAL. My father and a cousin both say that they accept ALL forces, and they are in the Air force, and the other in the Army.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Rob G
Rating
STG,
No, you have to be in the navy to be a SEAL. The good news is you can go to Marine Special Operation Command. You will have a ball and get to work with all the spec ops guys from ea of the branches, plus it's always better to be a Marine anyways, you'll see.

ArmyChemo
Rating
The are wrong as are 99.9 % of people who speak of any Special Operations related issue. You will have to be IN the Navy to try out for and be selected as a SEAL...period.

That's why they are the Navy SEALs and not the DOD SEALs

De Oppresso Liber
When people think of Special Operational Forces, they automatically think SEALS. This is not the case. Every branch has its own SOF's.

The Army has The Special Forces or Green berets, Rangers (not really SOF but specialized infantry), Deltas, and CAG

Marine Corps has Force Recon

Air Force has Pararescue and combat controllers

Navy has Seals

and I believe even the coast guard is developing a special tactics team as well

Ed D
That's a load of bunk. You have to be in the Navy or Coast Guard before you can go to BUD/S and SQT and try to become a SEAL.

What they may have said to you is that you can be in the special forces in any branch, this is true. Each branch has its own cadre of special forces. The Army has its Rangers and Special Forces ("Green Berets"). The Air Force has several different types of special forces Airmen in the Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC). The Marine Corps says it has no elite force because it *is* an elite force, but in reality they have a cadre of special operations "capable" Marines organized into Force Recon companies.

It is also theoretically possible to transfer one's enlistment into the Navy from another branch and then go to BUD/S that way. It does, from what I've heard, happen but it's exceedingly rare.

joeypvt
Rating
Is it AirForce Seal? No? Is it Army Seal? No? Is it Marine Seal? No? Is Navy Seal? YES! Ahhh! Do you have to be a Doctor to operate? Or you can just be a PARAMEDIC?

Amanda W
Rating
I agree with previous post. You have to go through Navy basic training before you can go on for SEAL training, so that makes you a member of the world's finest Navy. The Navy does take prior-enlistees though, so you could theoretically do your time in the Marines and then enlist with the Navy and go for SEAL training. good luck with whatever you choose.

El Diablo
No. Now by writing that question you should have noticed you answered it yourself. NAVY SEALS!!! The first word is a dead give away. I'm not sure, but I think they may cross-train with other branches' special forces, i.e. Force Recon, Rangers, Delta, etc.

ajharpo
If I am not mistaken,your father and cousin are talking about Delta Force teams. They are an anti-terrorist unit supposedly located at Fort Bragg. They are like GI JOE. After you retire out the regular military then you can join them. You must be elite and good at what you do.

As for the SEAL's, I looked into joining the SEAL's back in the 80's. You know the fail rate is high. And the last time I checked, SEAL's is about dedication and mental/physical capabilities. THEY ONLY ACCEPT US SAILORS, to work on their teams. However UDT school is different. They accept all branches. I think your father and cousin are confused on the schools. Perhaps I am wrong but that is what I believe. Good luck on finding your answer!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Navy Questions: Trying to make my final decision..?
How many people die in the navy a year due to war related causes?? What would be smarter for me to go to college for 4 years and try ro get my degree or go to the navy im a 22 year old male who'...

Waffen ss vs us marines?
all politics aside just an all out war (if the us marines dealt with germany during ww2 instead of the army) who would win? i saw a statement saying the us marines are the new waffen ss im just ...

Why haven't the American forces been fitted with the SA80 and are still equipped with the M16?
If the SA80 is more efficient, why haven't the American military branches replaced the M16 with it?...

Do people lose weight in air force BMT?
I'm just curious, I've heard some airmen say they actually gained weight due to the stress?
Which was it for you?
(I leave for BMT in a month, If I lost to much I will be ...

Why do chaplains call spouses?
Please answer. Icant find anything about it on the internet.
Additional Details
maryasia, what part of the question DONT you understand? Is english your second language?

I ...

There is an enemy satellite up there with a deadly virus for sure. whats the military doing about it?
for sure its programmed to come down to earth in case its country is attacked ( like n korea, russia, china ).
Additional Details
besides distributing face masks and hand sanitizer....

Do Russians export more military equipment all around the world than USA ?

Are there American troops...?
All over the world in many different countries. Like, to say there are troops in over 30 countries, is that a stretch?...

Military life and children, do they mix well?
I'm going in the Army this summer. I'm considering it to be a career choice and stay in my 20yrs. (My husband is also in the Army as well) I'd like to get a bid of advice about ...

Armed forces day 27th june?
Gordon Brown is in the papers today trying to promote armed forces day, fly the flag he says.
well i would if i could get hold of one, i have sent 3 emails to the website asking about ...

Which is better to enlist in , army or marines?

Should i or should i not?
i wanted to join the marines but now have a family should i still join will the military life be good for my family would we be able to suceed in life ?...

How many days home after Army bootcamp?
How many days go you go home for after Army basic Training?...

I think some of you people have been watching too many movies and playing too many video games?
Everyone wants to be a green beret or a navy seal its not like the video games where its easy to pull the trigger and what all of the sudden everyone is in awesome shape ready to run 20 miles and ...

When using the priority mail boxes sending to military in afghanistan, do I need a customs form?
I normally send a "plain" box to my boyfriend in Afghanistan, After reading the message boards, i started using the priority mail boxes from the Military care kit. The postal worker said ...

Is Flatulence a problem in the army?
Well sometimes when i eat the wrong foods i'll get a terrible flatulence problem. Would they mind in the army?...

How many people can attend army bootcamp?
my cousin is graduating at ft. jackson and i was just wondering how many people can attend the graduation, cuz i know the navy only garuntees 4 people....

I am 41. The Naval Reserve age limit is 39. Can I get a waiver to be brought in?
I would love to be a loadmaster on a plane. ANG and AFR is out of the question. Next step would be the Navy....

My brother is going to Iraq?
he is my brother in law by marriage but ether way I love him to pieces and are having a lot of trouble coming to terms with the deployment order. I read a lot of books about the military, the stories ...

Im no longer interested in the branch I chose but im scheduled for MEPS soon. What do I do?
I feel like Im settling because its not the branch that I REALLY want to join but the constant phone calls are getting old....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, October 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links