Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Is it a law that when you turn 18 as a male you have to register to the armed forces? How do you do it?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is it a law that when you turn 18 as a male you have to register to the armed forces? How do you do it?

Joey M
Rating
You don't register for the armed forces, you do register for Selective Service. It is a law and you can be imprisoned for not complying. You can easily go to the nearest Post Office and fill out the form and give it to the postal worker. It takes less than 5 minutes.

davidmi711
Register online at http://www.sss.gov/

oscarsix5
Rating
you have to register with the Selective Service which is the agency responsible for the draft; however at present there is no draft!

sharma
Rating
yes, when you get your drivers license or when you register to vote its automatic. or you can go to post office to get info to register.

Wulfie
Rating
Go to a post office and fill out the form. Then hand it to the postal officer. Easy!

JUSTME
Rating
Yes, you do. If not, you are subject to fines and such and should you apply to a college, you will not be granted admission without proving you have signed up. I think the forms are at the post office.

lana_sands
Rating
It's called the Selective service. If they don't mail a card to you can pick up one at any Us Post Office. Required for all US males between 18-26. Does not make you part of the armed forces.

lorenzo and lily's mommy
well I can tell you that I have a brother and nephew and lots of males in my family who never registered and they are not being imprisoned or fined for it. If the government got to the point that they wanted to make all males go to war there are some that do not have to go,, only son's , and I think oldest sons, those with medical excuses which range from asthma to being flat footed. unless you are totally healthy the government can not make you go to war. now this web site says you have to but like i said I have never heard of anyone in my family doing this

tap158
yes it is and you can register on line you wont go to jail but if you don't register with the selective services it will affect you if you want a gov job or need a passport or anything like that

deanna b
Rating
It is the law and you have a while to go to your post office to do it....It was a leftover from the viet nam war...and is for males only...

Jess
Yes it is a law. When you go to college it one of the question on your fafsa so its definitely required. You probably should check the court dept. or where you go to register to vote.

xenypoo
Rating
You should get a letter in the mail asking you to register. If you haven't received one, go to your most local recruiting office, and register. Watch out though, they might try and recruit you! LOL, don't worry, I'm kidding about that!

Barney
Rating
Yes it is a law to register for the 'selective service'. By now I'm sure you can do it on-line but another place is your local post office.

Anne
Yes it is true. Go to any USA post office, and they will give you the paper work. You are not enlisting you are telling them where you are if they need you

William S
You do not register to the armed forces, you register to the selective service system, which is a civilian set up board in your area that IF there is ever a return to the draft system for raising a defensive army they will know where to find you and where to send you notice. The post office has the forms for you to complete and send back to a National Registry place. It is simple and yes, it is the law, so do it.

*diMpLeS*
Rating
yeah, if you dont register you get fined. you can go to the post office and register there

Mozzy
Yes, its the law, when you turn 18 the goverment will send you a paper that you have to fill out and send back, it doesnt necessarly mean that you have to go to one of the military branches its just so that if there was ever another world war you would be part of the draft and you cant oppose.

JAMES W
registering for Selective Service. is voluntary i did not register for Selective Service and it deed not effete my career.it only effects your Chane's at getting certain Grant for college...thats all..

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I changed my mind on joining the army?
Now how do I respectfully get the recruiters to leave me alone? I had only requested an information packet and submitted personal info to determine if I even qualify. Well, I do, so now I get ...

In your opinion....Do you think the War in Iraq is Based on Lies ?

Does any branch of military require an eye test?
I don't have the greatest vision so this might be a problem. Are you allowed to wear glasses/contacts, ect. What is the minimum requirement?...

Which countries spy on the UK?

*WHAT ARE REASONS WHY A POTENTIAL MILITARY RECRUIT OR ANYBODY WOULD REFUSE TO ENLIST?*?
Specific answers....

Do you support the war?

Is it true that Obama wants to cut back on our military spending, weapons research and throw away a bunch of?
weapons and defense systems? Would he even have such power over the military to demand such drastic things?
Additional Details
The other superpower countries will continue expanding ...

Military People Help. Did i cross the line?
My husband is home from iraq i think he has PTSD He won't seek help. He blames me for not being nice to him 24/7 though i try not to raise my voice anytime. i finally got fed up when he started ...

Is it time to cut Israel off from American aid ?

Additional Details
If they have GOD on their side then what do they need us for ???...

What Do You Think of the Slogan: " You Can't Support The Troops Without Supporting the Mission?" (In Iraq)

Why do insurgents love Ak's so much?
There's a multitude of weapons of the black market to choose from, and they all have Ak's.....or maybe a RPG if he's lucky. Why don't they spice things up with a Mach 10 or a ...

Which side do you want to win the civil war in Iraq?
Do you want the Sunnis (Al Qaeda) to win?
Or the Shi'ites (Iran) to win?
Which side should America's youth die for?...

Should the US be more aggressive in dealing with the MIDDLE EAST?

I don't know what branch..?
hello,

I'm turning 18 on friday 03 august 2007, and I still haven't decided what branch to join. I'm planning on enlisting that day.. or the monday after.. I'm ...

Military housing?
my husband and i are considering being put on the wait list for housing. our apartment lease is up at the end of january. he is an e5 (dont know if it matters or not) and we have a 4 year old boy ...

If u were drafted for a war for Israel, that involved US/Israel vs Israel's neighbors, how would you feel?

Additional Details
Like if this bombing campaign that Israel is engaged in against lebanon turned into something more....

If someone told you that they were in the Air Force as instead of the Army or Navy, would you have a different
impression of that person?...

Should Americans who believe in the right to bear arms be concerned at the lack of this right in Iraq?
The right to bear arms is not enshrined in the new Iraqi constitution, there is even talk of disarming the militias. Not even Saddam tried to disarm the Iraqi people. If Bush can do it in Iraq, what ...

My teacher went to the war in Vietnam, do you think he killed someone?
Im not sure his position but i think he was a lead attacker of some sort. Do you think he killed anyone while he was there? I mean he is alive and ...

Why are these military members crying so loudly?
Pentagon moves to increase U.S. troop levels in Iraq By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is delaying the departure of thousands of soldiers from Iraq while speeding the ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, October 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links