Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Just turned 18, do I really need to sign up for the draft?
Find answers to your legal question.

Just turned 18, do I really need to sign up for the draft?

On September 8th, I turned 18. Now, I've got conflicting information. My college suitemate told me that if I don't sign up within a month, I could be jailed. My Dad, on the other hand, said he never signed up for the draft and never got into trouble for it, and other people he knew never signed up for the draft.

I'm a middle-class male college student living in New York state, if that matters.
Additional Details
P.S. by "sign up for the draft" I meant "sign up for the selective service which is registration for if a draft ever gets reinstated". I know there's no "draft" right now. Sorry for the confusion. Thankfully, most people got that anyway.

Yahoo Answer Angel
Rating
By law, you need to register.

As far as consequences for failing, I believe it could impact you at any time you try to receive a federal benefit. I don't know about jail, however.

Edit...from the selective service site:
What is the penalty for not registering?
If you do not register, you could be prosecuted and fined up to $250,000 and/or be put in jail for up to five years. Registration is also a requirement to qualify for Federal student aid, job training benefits, and most Federal employment.

Glen B
Rating
There is no draft. You do need to sign up with the Selective Service. The suitemate may have had them confused.

StephenWeinstein
Rating
The information is not conflicting. Officially, you are required to sign up and they could prosecute you if you do not. Unofficially, not everyone who violates this law gets prosecuted.

It is somewhat like the speed limit. If you drive 1 mph faster than the sign says, you can get a ticket, in theory, but many persons drive 2-9 mph faster than the sign says and do not get tickets.

rogueriverbob
Rating
it is the law, you must sign up for selective service,.....other wise you may not qualify for some student loans,.....you can sign up at the post office, or on line,.....

robotchic
Rating
There is no draft to sign up for, but you do have to register for the Selective Service, which is just a piece of paper saying you are registered is all. You can get this paperwork at any local Post Office, fill it out and mail it in. It's nothing to worry about at all, you cannot be drafted into the Military because of it. It's a civic duty, as a citizen of the United States, kind of like filling out the questionnaires for jury duty, but with the Selective Service, you won't have to serve any time like you may have to do for jury duty. I don't really know if there is punishment for not registering but why take the chance, it's just a form, nothing to worry about.

Patriotic Libertarian
You are probably not going to 'get in trouble' for it but registration with the Selective Service is used for other things besides a possible draft so it MAY cause you some problems including with employment and paying taxes. It is the 'law' that you register in any case if you are male and over the age of 18.

If you don't want to register - don't. But there may be consequences. It would probably be better to register and put down that you are a conscientious objector if that is what is preventing you from registering.

In the event of a draft, not having signed-up with the Selective Service isn't going to protect you.

southron2002
Rating
Yes you do. I missed the cut off age but signed up anyway.

Captain Troll
Rating
I had to show proof that I signed up for the draft yesterday, because it is one of the things needed to apply for government job training.

Goldenrae9
Yes you do, especially if you are receiving any federally funded student aid. There is no draft, it's just a weird on the books law.

ken s
Rating
Yep

pusherhombre
Young man, there has been no draft since President Gerald Ford repealed it in 1975. You just have to sign up with the Selective Service.

Is New York really that blue????

1st Buzie
Yes it's the law however there is no draft so you have nothing to worry about. Unless of course the Democrats win the White house. They are in favor of the draft.

Roadrunner58-79
Y E S, It is a Federal Law that when a American Male reaches 18 years of age, he is to register
with the Selective Service System!!!!

jessetemmom
Rating
You need to go online a sign up with the Selected Reserve.

guns155mm
Rating
In some states you can't vote if you don't register. Don't worry, if you don't register and a draft happens, uncle SAM will find you.

Brad V
Rating
Your dad's giving you bad advice ! Perhaps in his day you could get away with not signing with Selective Service. Today, with computerization the chances are greater that you will be discovered.

Since you have already declared that you are aware of this national procedure, it could go hard on you for failing to follow the law !

SMBR
Rating
Yes, you do.

You wont go to jail, but those college loans will dry up and all kinds of other bad things can happen.

Fill out the form and forget about it. Its the law.

mudknot1330
Rating
My 18th birthday isn't until September 20, but I've already gotten a letter in the mail last week saying that I am already registered with the selective service program. What I'm saying is that I am not sure whether or not it is illegal at some point in time to "not" register. But judging by how early they were to register me without my knowing, you should receive a letter in the mail soon enough.

Crysslynn
Rating
Yes, you are required to register for the draft.

on_afreakleash
Rating
A draft?

Who ever told you this information is SEVERLY misinformed.

No draft. Signing up for the military is completely your choice.

G-Man
Rating
You do need to sign up with the Selective Service. But you can do that just by going to the DMV and doing it their or just getting a mail in form. The draft won't happen, don't worry.

Tin Can Sailor
Rating
Don't listen to you dad. He's probably at an age that the registration was not required. Not really sure of when that was but I believe from the 1970's to 1990's. Go to:

https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

and you can do it online.

renee70466
My little bro was registered by the DMV when he went to get his Id. He was 2 months from his 18th birthday and they didn't give hima choice they just did it. Its the law that you have too sign up!

Bruce J
Rating
It's required. I never signed up either.

It's called 'Selective Service Registration', and you might as well do it. It can't hurt. There isn't going to be a draft anytime soon. They should send you a card in the mail. If they don't, then don't bother signing up.

thelongestday41
You should only sign up if you want to its your decision i am 19 and i never signed up for the draft and nothing ever happened to me so why would anything happen to you.

florida gal
Rating
There isn't a draft right now so you don't have to sign up for anything. It's your choice to sign up to serve your country. I'm not saying there won't be a draft later, but for now you're O.K.

Jill
Rating
arent you automatically signed up these days? you should get something in the mail soon

some guy
Udont need to sign up for any draft , thats why its a draft , they choose u without question , but no u dont have 2 sign up for anything

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Are you glad our troops will be leaving Iraq?
I hope they will leave Iraq totally though as in 0 British troops left!! I say let the Americans handle it because they started it.....

"How can I be sad over a person in military dying when they are there killing voluntarily?"?

Additional Details
huh? troll?seriously....
how can someone feel it is OK for the military to be killing, torturing, and yet when one dies that is our own..oh no, we should all be ...

What tank is the Best ?
What is the best tank ?

The British Challenger 2

or

The American M1A2 Abrams
Additional Details
actually... what is the best tank in ...

Rules of war?
do you think that the rules our soliders fight by do put them in more danger should we fight by same rules as the emeny and let our boys wipe them out with no threat of punishment war crimes etc
<...

Should America be worried by what Russia says?
Russia earlier this year said it would use unidentified "military means" if the U.S. deployed a missile defence shield close to its borders
Additional Details
http://uk.news....

Could the US ever have won in Veitnam?
I donít know a great deal about it being British but it strikes me that despite all the technology and training, they never really stood a chance. The tactics of the North Vietnamese, guerrilla ...

Do you feel like veterans are only appreciated when it's convenient?
My close friends and my family are appreciative all the time, but it seems like the only time veterans are thanked is when there's a holiday to remind people. Most people only want to know if ...

Should military recruiters be banned from targetting kids?
The US military is desperate for recruits. After Iraq, many view the lies and brutality of the US military as a reason for not joining. No longer does the US military fight for freedom and justice ...

Is it cool to join the military (Navy)? I'm 22 and have no college education. Does the milt offer decent deal?
Does military offer good deals on college tuition. Has anybody had any bad experiences....

Has the war in Afghanistan and Iraq made the U.S look weak?

Does anyone believe the USA can restore any order to Iraq?

Have Israel gone too far?
I'm not on any side in fact Im not religious or aphiliated what so ever. I beleive this is an advantage. But Hezbollah kidknapped 2 soldiers. Instead of doing a prisoner swap, which Israel has ...

Did the US EVER win a war alone?
Is it even possible? One needs somewhat "intelligent" soldiers...not robots who are the same as the sucide bombers....

Your Country Needs You?
Will you answer its ...

Which boot camp is the hardest? Marines or Army?
Who should I join? Marines or Army. I want to be the best there is & I want to go to War. Marines are the first to fight right?...

Air Force or Navy?
I'm a Senior in High School and I want to join the ROTC program. I want to do something with computers and I was wondering which one has better opportunities. I really don't know that much ...

What are soldiers still doing in Iraq Should they not be out by now? Isn't it long overdue for them to home?

Can you suggest some relatively UNbiased sources for information on the Iraq war?

How long would it take for China to conquer Britain?
bearing in mind our Army is over 19 times the size as ...

How can you not support Israel against an International Terrorist Organisation?
I am in support of the Israeli's finishing what they have started and to completely remove Hezbollah from the planet, once and for all. Whilst there are some people who will not agree with me, I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links