Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

RE 4 code from the navy?
Find answers to your legal question.

RE 4 code from the navy?

I got discharged from the navy in boot camp general under honorable, erroneous enlistmen meaning I had a medical condition MEPS didn't find early.
In boot camp when I got discharge i spent three weeks in ship 17 and i guess half of the recruits said thatt re4 means you cannot reeinlist in military and cnnot hold any gov job wether that be local or federal, and the other half said that re 4 meant you cannnot reeinlist but you could hold gov jobs but cops and f.b.i and jobs like that you couldn't?
which is true, I am going to gradute UCSD with Urban Studies and Planning Degree and hope to enter a State, Federal, Local career. but I just realized about this.? What is going to happen when the employer sees I got an RE4, can they see the reason why? if not can I just make up a medical reason?

Antarctic Fox
Rating
I got an RE-4 Medical about five weeks into basic at Great Lakes around 13 years ago ("erroneous enlistment"). I've worked a lot of contracting jobs in that time, I've been cleared for security clearances, background checks, etc., to work government contracting jobs.

Do you want to know how many jobs I've had to produce my DD-214 for? None. Zero. Zilch.

As a matter of fact, I was surprised to find out a long time ago when filing for unemployment that there was absolutely no record of my having been in the Navy with the state of Texas. According to my state, it's as if I'd never been in the Navy.

At that time, it was not categorized as a discharge. It was a "Separation from Service" -- the difference being that, since I had been in less than six months, I had not served long enough for any characterization and had not served long enough to be eligible for veterans' benefits. So when the "veteran" question comes up, I answer "no". This is the truth, as I am not considered a veteran, and any evidence that I was ever even in the military seems to have disappeared into the either. This may have changed over time, but those are my experiences. No one has ever given a damn about it, and I no longer care, either.

My advice is that you file your DD-214 and accompanying discharge paperwork in a safe place in case you need it. If someone ever asks for it, then you have it. If someone denies you a job because of a medical separation, then you have it to submit in court when you sue them for discrimination in hiring. I would go so far as to say that you shouldn't even bother putting that you were in the Navy on your resume.

Remember, as well, that this isn't a black mark on you. You don't think the best and the brightest go hunting for jobs at MEPS, do you?

Jose H
Rating
Don't worry about it. RE4 applies only to the military.

Robert C
The RE-4 code only means that you are not recommended for reenlistment.

It does not mean anything else...and does not restrict you from anything else.

As long as you got an Honorable Discharge, this code will have no effect on your life other than not allowing you to try and enlist in the Military again.

Unfortunately, most people who get this code also got "big chicken dinners" or Bad Conduct Discharge...or Dishonorable..etc..

The most important thing to remember is that you received an honorable discharge. You are fine!

chasgow
If you went with an erroneous enlistment versus a fraudulent enlistment, the RE4 won't count against you in the civilian world. Your SPD is what most employers are going to look at.

Now MEPS didn't find your condition. . . Does that mean you didn't know you had it? Or. . . does that mean you knew about it and didn't disclose it? If you failed to disclose it, then you most likely got a fraudulent enlistment. Not sure how the Navy works it, but in the Coast Guard, when I authorize separation under erroneous enlistment it's an Honorable. Erroneous means it's something that popped up that was disqualifying and there was no demonstrable willful failure to disclose a disqualifying condition.

A General, OTOH, would seem to suggest a fraudulent. If that's the case, you SPD may set off a few bells, buzzers, and whistles with potential employers.

Whatever you do, be truthful. Regardless of any short-term benefits you may derive from fibbing, lying, failing to disclose, etc., being untruthful will eventually come back to bite you on the butt.

Kyle
Rating
You have to **** up really bad in order to get a RE4.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Army recruiters help?
Ok. I made a mistake when i was 22 years old. I was charged with grand larceny. $5000... I pleaded guilty and brought it down to a misdemeanor. Not that it matters to the government. Im in college ...

I am on SSI and unable to work, I am getting ready to marry a military guy will i lose this?
I have 2 children of my own. both of which are not his biological children but they only know him as daddy. Their dad has not been around for 18months now and still has not paid child support that ...

Want to apply to be an officer in the AF after college. If i dont get accepted should i enlist as E-3?
I want to be in the security forces field. and eventually apply for OSI either way.

I know everything is very competitive ...

Why doesn't war help advance society?
i just want to see different reasonings behind this concept:)... plz help with some ideas. It is much apreciated if you explain your answer with maybe an example to make it clearer:).. T...

If a member of the military is injured on active duty, can he choose his own doctor for care?
If a someone in the military is dismissed from active duty due to an injury while on active duty, how does the healing process work? Does he need to use doctors provided/recommended by the military, ...

CURRENT BUD/S FOR NAVY SEALS CLASS?
Does anyone currently know what class BUD/S seal training is on. the date is 4-14-09 and i am wondering what class they are on how often they change classes and to know how to keep track of it....

Does Air Force pay well? Air Force Info?
im curently in jrotc and want to join the air force after 10 yrs of being a officer how much would they make or how much a year would it be at max 150,000 or more? Also going to colledge to become ...

When you hear the bullets fly over your head how low down are they?
Random question I know but I've been watching Ross Kemp: Return To Afghanistan and when ever they get attacked the bullets sound really close and I mean really close, I know obviously its close ...

NCIS doesn't need a civilian warrant?
I was watching NCIS, and yes it is an actual agency, Agent Gibbs tried to get into a hotel room where a suspect is then the hotel clerk told him that he needs a warrant for that then he said he'...

If the Marine Corps never existed...?
Would you former or current
Marines have joined the Army?...

Marines or Army.........if you served please help?
what is different,who is better,please help im joining and i am confused on which one to join....

Questions about the marines/army/airforce?
if im the only boy in my family am i eliglble?
ps. here in the US, i believe im the only besides my dad with my last name that i am related to. but outside the country i think i MIGHT have ...

What are some active units?
i am trying to remember the combat engineers unit that my friend is in over in Iraq. does anyone know of any active units? or if there is a website with a list?...

Navy Aviation Rescue Diver Eyesight Requirements?
I am extremely interested in trying out for a position as a Rescue Diver. I feel that I can push myself and complete the training; however, I am near sighted. What are the exact eyesight requirements,...

Navy SEALs rescue.......?
The Navy SEALs rescue of that captain was BA!!! Thanx to all who serve our nation!!...

How long will it take to be deployed overseas in the Air Force?

How likely is it that i will be deployed to iraq or afghanistanin the Air Force?
how long until I do?...

Did the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff change uniform style?
Before recently the Chairman of the joint chiefs of staff wore the uniform for the service that they were in. example: general colin powell wore his army uniform but with the JCS badge. the ...

What is the brig like?
my friends bf is there now and she wants to know what it is like. ...

I wanted to join Army to help people. But I have CP so I can't. Any other organization that I can join?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, October 24, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links