Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

US Military people: Would you open fire on American citizens if ordered to do so?
Find answers to your legal question.

US Military people: Would you open fire on American citizens if ordered to do so?

brainstorm
Rating
They did at Kent State University and Waco ,Texas

"Nice Beaver"
The 'rules of Engagement' are illustrated well by 'Infantry Wife'. I am an ex-military Brit and our rules of engagement follow similar principles. The other side of your question is that US and British troops do not fire on ANYONE - irrespective of whether they are our own countrymen or foreigners - without the same consideration. The authorisation and use of lethal force is an awesome responsibility, not taken lightly by any of our armed forces or police.

jamesfentress44
If they were threatening my country and/or my life..yes.
The oath says "I'm an American fightiing man and
my duties are to protect it against all enemies, DOMESTIC
and foreign...".

Destrier
Rating
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter, so help me God.

It is an unfortunate occurrence indeed should we be required to fulfill our obligations against an American civilian.

We are not mindless automatons, however we do have an obligation to our nation. You expect us to defend the nation against all enemies, and deserve no less.

mad as hell
Rating
If liberty were at stake and their was a threat to the safety of people and freedom of the U.S......absolutely...but if the orders were questionable it would be difficult to answer.

♥ Infantry Wife ♥
Rating
i'm pretty sure IF our troops had to fire on american citizens it better be a lawful order and they have made sure that they followed the rules of engagement before firing...and as you can tell lethal use is the LAST action to consider...

* Level 1: Compliant (Cooperative). The subject responds and complies to verbal commands. Close combat techniques do not apply.

* Level 2: Resistant (Passive). The subject resists verbal commands but complies immediately to any contact controls. Close combat techniques do not apply.

* Level 3: Resistant (Active). The subject initially demonstrates physical resistance. Use compliance techniques to control the situation. Level three incorporates close combat techniques to physically force a subject to comply. Techniques include: Come-along holds, Soft-handed stunning blows, Pain compliance through the use of joint manipulation and the use of pressure points.

* Level 4: Assaultive (Bodily Harm). The subject may physically attack, but does not use a weapon. Use defensive tactics to neutralize the threat. Defensive tactics include: Blocks, Strikes, Kicks, Enhanced pain compliance procedures, Impact weapon blocks and blows.

* Level 5: Assaultive (Lethal Force). The subject usually has a weapon and will either kill or injure someone if he/she is not stopped immediately and brought under control. The subject must be controlled by the use of deadly force with or without a firearm or weapon.

jneg7
Well lets examine Kent State in Ohio. A mob of 2000 is throwing sticks and rocks at you. They have been marching for Peace for 2 days protesting are government. They are in a fervor. If I am a part of a group of 100 and I am being bombarded with objects by people on the verge of rioting and my job is to keep order and my superior orders us to fire I would have to say I do not know. But I am a citizen. Not a military man or even law enforcement. But I will tell you one thing if i am part of a demonstration that begins to cause damage to public property or to other human beings I am High Tailing it out of their because it has then gotten to the point where Someone may have to give that order. its called common sense. I would demonstrate but not participate in riots.

sabresfan4ever1981
Well when I'm in America and not deployed to Iraq I don't have people drive suicide bomb trucks at me, I don't have people shoot at me and run into mosque because they are cowards, and we act civilized here unlike the middle east so probably not but if it were to happen, not for a second would I hesitate.

Bill H
If it was a lawful order, Yes.

Ben
Rating
Of course. If I have recieved proper authorization, there will have been a good reason. In such a case, it is far more likely that the "citizens" fired upon are in reality the enemy under cover, rather than the instructions coming from a corrupt source. To not fire would risk endangering far more lives than to eliminate the identified threat.

It is also worth mentioning that in a time of war, failure to follow orders, especially in combat, is punishable by death. Is it worth it to put your own life on the line in a situation in which it is far more likely your intel knows the whole picture a lot better than you do? Heck no!

Also to add to someone above the idiot above me, by that point you would be fully justified as you would be under attack. The only exception would be if you were a special ops team, and IF the military were used in that situation, they would be fully briefed beforehand.

solo_powered_boatie
This is a question which is sure to draw flack from all quarters, especially from ppl who have no combat experience. But real life is not as clear-cut as that which is portrayed in the movies (Arnie comes to mind) nor video games (there is no reset button) and what happened at Kent State, while sad, was needed to "contain and control" what was rapidly becoming a mob (the Panamanian Bridge of the Americas and the Martyrs of 1964 comes to mind). Anyone who has ever hidden behind a stack of sand-bags while an RPG (or a Molotov) hits the other side knows how stressful and frightening it can be. You can not afford to become confused and there is no option to second guess. Do that and it is more likely than not you will die.

Based upon my 20 plus years of military experience in the Airborne, and of my being involved with virtually every operation since Grenada, I would have to say, sadly, yes. And since I am now retired from the military and merely a "citizen" myself this is a very scary prospect!

In truth American citizens are no different than any other citizen of the world. What they do and how they conduct themselves, however, is what matters.

yarbigy
Rating
I've fired on my own citizens...granted, we have an insurrection problem here in Russia, down in Chechnya. But I have done so, and it happens daily.

I trust my USA comrades would do the same if the situation called for it.

Lucky for you guys, it does not.

man_marathon
Rating
all us military take an oathe to protect the constitution and the american people, besides it has been outlawed since the civil war to use the military on the people.ex: movie: 'gangs of new york' ,but attorney general janet reno broke this law

Your name here, cheap.
Are they liberal democrats? Why wait for orders to fire.

Just me
Rating
It would deplend on what the citizens were doing and why I was ordered to do so. If it was beause they were thanking god a soldier died while protesting his/her funeral, yep.

exsft
If necessary, yes. Please note, that before such an order will be given, a situation would have transpired wherein soldiers have been called fo domestic mobilization. The military, under the control of the duly elected civilian authority, is duty bound to act according to it's mandate of protecting the US from all enemies including those within it's borders.

kittyluck
Rating
i guess the only way i would fire at anyone is if there was a god reason to do so.
if anyone's life is at risk i would.
it wouldn't only depend on the order i was given.
life is very valuable

SGT. D
If it was a Lawful Order I would in a heartbeat and I believe the only reason that this would scare a Liberal Democrat is that they have no clue as to what "Lawful Order" means.

devil_man_76
Rating
Without a doubt, they will fire on you. that whole "civil war" thing was united states troops firing on united states citizens. Our troops are paid to follow orders, but the only problem with that is... our leaders are idiots!

Ken L
Rating
Ya betcha!

sfctranspo
YES

being
Rating
Military robots do what they are told, even it they know it's wrong. How do you think Hitler,Stalin,Tojo and Mao got to power?
Keep in mind that all these tough guys here never shot anyone. Not even a soldier, let alone a baby...right tough guys?

keny
Rating
unbelievable If this is the American dream they`re trying to force on the rest of the world,no wonder no one wants it .
They must be so brainwashed the`d shoot their own granny ,no questions asked before they`d risk looking "unpatriotic"

Hidup
Rating
The scary thing is you will get answers from people who think the highest honour is to obey an orders. Disobeys your orders and challenge your commanders!

Heartbroken
I grew up thinking America was special but then I grew up.What is happening?We were never perfect but I thought the basic ideals were there.Now we don't even seem to have that.Waco,Ruby Ridge.false flags actually all through our history.Now without the Constitution and the rule of law we don't even have the illusion.Is this what we want our future to be?Who benefits?Certainly not our children and grandchildren.Will we allow this nightmare to go on until there is nothing left but hate and carnage.I expect my military to protect us from this criminal element that has taken over our government and if they won't then they will suffer the same fate as the rest of us from the same people that are using the military to do ther bidding.Wake up before you are asked to do something you really don't want to do.The American people are not your enemy.They are your sisters,brothers,sons,daughters and mothers and fathers.How did we get to the point where we need to ask if you will fire on us.What have the American people done so far to warrant such a senario.If this is about terrorism than the terrorist have already won because we are losing all our freedoms,privacy,rights,dignity and sense of security.Please don't help these monsters do this to our country and for that matter the rest of the world. God bless America and keep her safe

tacemt
you military guys saying you would fire on american citizens make me sick, what if your the enemy of the u.s. what if your the one following a tyrannical leader, your mindless and a puppet if you are unable to think for yourselves, if the people are fighting for freedom and their family what side does that put you on. also most military guys with exc. of sf cant handle a br or handgun for sh t you might wanna ask your instructors where they got their tactics and weapons handling taught to them at, it was from civilians.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

If we went into battle today, what would be your one weapon of choice.... ?

Do you know of anyone that laughed whilst being yelled at during basic training?
What is the punishment, and how does one stop this, as it seems like laughing whilst nervous is a common reaction?...

Is it generally true that military personnel are less intelligent than civilians?

Additional Details
I was told that in the military, you simply react and don't think. If you think too hard, then there are conflicts with your commander....

Is 23 too old to join the military?
It seems like a lot of people join right after high school....

Is it OK that my husband is e-mailing his ex?
My husband got deployed feb 05 before that I found out some e-mail that he was sending to her ex irlfriend, we talk about it and know hes talking to another ex. Is this normal or should I take this ...

What shall we do...................?
with the drunken sailor?
Additional Details
Who gave me 2 thumbs down.... it's only supposed to be a bit of Friday fun!...

Jane Fonda anybody?
What are your feeling about Jane Fonda. This is mostly for Vietnam Vets but i would like anyone response to this question....

Which countries would Britain LOSE in a war with?
if they fought a country on its own, without support or opposition from other ...

Has a Military Man let you down?

Are soldiers in it for the money or for their country?
do most people enlist in the military because they feel they are not smart enough for college and think it is a easy way to get money, or do they enlist to protect their country. I believe they feel ...

Who would win a war between US Army in its prime and Roman Empire military in its prime?
Simple question:

Who would win a war, the US Army in its prime or the Roman Empire military in its prime?

Remember, you are to be considering each as they were in their primes....

What is the reason for this war?

Do you think in the future there will be a world with out wars?
In the so called "Modern World, "wars rage on some over many years however is war really justified, has war really helped mankind to achieve a better world? One day no wars? I'm ...

Is WWIII a Possibility?
How can WWIII Happen? Atomic Bombs couldnt be used on Russia, China, Korea, etc. because they have them too and the exact second they find out we launched ours what do you think they'll do, they&...

Why do soldiers get mad when you ask them if they have killed anyone?
I mean, whats the big deal? Its a simple question with a simple answer, why do they get so weird with it?...

An extremely sensitive question about NFL star turned Army Ranger, Pat Tillman?
In all due respect for this fine young man, I wanted your opinion as to what you believe happened to him.

Evidence is pointing to something very sinister, and I'm hoping upon hope ...

What will happen in Afghanistan?
Afghanistan is a Thirty years distroied country should it becom a peaceful country? if yes When....

Design your perfect army?
if you were to be allowed to take the best aspects of world militaries what would you have?
~British training and professionalism
~American equipment and funding
~French bravery... oh ...

My girlfriend wants to join the Army!?
My girlfriend wants to join the Army and i know its selfish but i dont want her too!

She says she wants a career and its something she wanted to do for years, i'm worried about her ...

Why are our troops still in Iraq, dying?
I don't understand! It's just wrong!...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links