Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

What branch of the military is best fit for a family?
Find answers to your legal question.

What branch of the military is best fit for a family?

please tell me in you are in a branch or having been, whitch branch has the best benifitis and best fits a family life?
thanks

bhadams1
Rating
Coast Guards. The United States Coast Guards (USCG) has the best quality of life for both single and family. Mostly because they are the smallest branch.

Many people do not consider the USCG when applying for the military, but it is a military branch that falls under the Department of Homeland Security (previously fell under Department of Transportation).

Pay, standard benefits (i.e., vacation, medical, education, etc.), and retirement are the exact same thing as all the other military branches.

Air Force I would rank second best for family life.

Tink
The Air Force treats the families the best. The Marine Corps, the worst! I am an ex-Marine Corps wife, and my Brother-in-law is in the Air Force. SOOOO much better for his family, than mine!

Mr Placid
If I had a family, I would choose Air Force.

First off, all the services have exactly the same benefits and pay, so that's not an issue.

However, except for a handful of personnel who work odd shifts, the Air Force is the closest thing to a 9 to 5 job in the military. Army and Marine personnel are regularly away from home for several weeks every year, even during peacetime, to perform practice military exercises. Navy personnel are away from home on ships for several months per year. The majority of Air Force personnel, on the other hand, rarely leave base.

Also, most Air Force bases are located near urban areas, which makes it easier for spouses to find employment, if necessary, and culture. Army and Marine stations, for the most part, are located in rural BFE, which is fine if you like hunting and fishing, I suppose.

Additionally, I believe that the Army, Navy, and Marines have the greatest number of non-sponsored posts of duty. A serviceman assigned to such a post cannot bring his family, unless he pays for everything out of pocket.

During wartime, the Coast Guard gets attached to the Navy, and performs the same combat functions as the Navy. I would hardly consider that risk-free.

SSGAllan
Rating
Well since so many people don't think the coast guard is in that much danger because they don’t come over to Iraq, Bad new for ya they are over here. As for which service is better for a family there is not one that is better than the other we are all covered by the same Medical and dental. We all deploy, All thought I think the Navy deployments are the hardest because you deploy on ships for six months or more weather there is a war or not. As far as the rest it really depends on the job you take you can do an MOS that has you TDY (temporary duty assignment) all the time. You could go to a duty station that hardly ever goes to the field and change stations and go to the field all the time. I have two kids under 5 and I know it is hard on them because I am gone a lot but the pay off is when they are in there teens I will be retiring and be able to devote more time to them in the years that they will need more purpose and direction. So it is a sacrifice you have to make early for the benefits down the road. All of the service have the same out come

Mr. Main Event
Coast Guard. You get equal pay (and benefits) with less risk. In fact, the coast guard usually stays in the country unless something disastrous happens.

jess b
Rating
I would have to say the National Guard - you are with your family (after training and not including deployments) you don't move around and it is a smaller close knit community because you all live in the same area. It is hard to put into words - you just really need to experience it for your self. But you have a normal job with normal hours that isn't going to call you away all the time unless there is a state emergency or you are being deployed. Companies seem to be a little smaller and your cadre seem to be easier to get along with - more easy going.

brewmaster_ga
Rating
The Marines are the worst. Intercontinental moves come out of the Marine Corp budget, while overseas deployments come out of the Navy budget. So you end up with a lot of overseas moves.

Roadrunner58-79
Rating
U S Army is more family oriented!!
US Army(RET) 1958 - 1979

laxchik1117
Rating
my boyfriend soon to be fiance is in the navy. he works on subs so its hard for me to live somewhere where he is. but hes on land for 4 years and then he can be sent on a sub for the next for and so on until he doesnt enlist anymore. we can be sent anywhere in the world. from what ive learned so far they are pretty good with families and accomidating them. it really depends on what you are willing to deal with and what things you are and are not willing to give up. like wether you are willing to move around alot or not.

MDJ
Rating
All the services have the same benefits. The larger services have more duty station opportunities and accompanied tours. My family was very happy in the USMC, but being in the smallest service there are fewer duty stations and being close to home during a tour was almost impossible. If you want to be close to home during a tour I suggest you look at the bases close to home. If you want to visit foreign countries WITH your family I suggest the Army or Air Force, but honestly you will get moved around a lot more by these services. If you really want to be stable then look into the National Guard. They have active duty personnel also, you might have to move around the state but thats it.

Heath W
Rating
Only one Coast Guard Death??? Ever??? Come on!! There have been 10 so far this year just from training
Aircraft accident: 4
Boating accident: 1
Exposure: 2
Fall: 1
Gunfire: 2
Not to mention all the brave souls that loose their lives every year in recovery operations, and drug interdiction. You pay them very poor respect :(

sweet_one_07_69
Rating
I'd have to agree with the Air Force being the best.

mangas_coloradas
Rating
I was in the British Army and as with all branches of the Services civilian life is the best for the family.

BIS126 b
Eeem non

Andrew
Rating
Yes I would agree with the Coast Guard. There has only been one fatality in the USCG since it started.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

How do you find out if you are eligible to draw and ex husbands military pension after he passes away?
married 13 years with 2 grown children...just trying to find out where to go to find out if I am eligible
Additional Details
just for everyones opinion,I have 2 sons that I thought would ...

Can a person be awarded a Meritorious Service Medal if they've recieved a Bronze Star? (same time frame)?
If you could provide a regulation to find it that would be terrific! The bronze star was already awarded and now our commander wants to give him a MSM too....

Why do we own guns?

Additional Details
I own a gun for protection.
I have hunted.
I wanted everyone to voice there opions for all to see....

Military Underpaid? Anyone Agree?
Anybody else think our boys overseas risking their lives 24/7 should be getting closer to 500,000 a year as opposed to 30,000?

I guess it's not really about the money though... thank G...

Bush vs Osama ,What would the match be like?

If Bush is winning the war in Iraq , what medal would he get ..... Gold , Silver ,Bronze or something else ??

Do we still have to fight them over there (Iraq) so we don't have to fight them here (USA) ...?
now that the UK is fighting them there?

I'm not sure how this whole idea works. I'm only sure it's a lot of malarkey....

What is wrong with training prisonsners to go to war instead of caring for them with monies we don't have?
Why not put these prisoners threw military training and send them to war.Not all of them but a select ed tested group!Maybe they would rather go to war than spend a few years in prison.Many are ...

Why can soldiers hear Limbaugh and Hannity over on Armed Forces Radio, but not be allowed to hear Air America?

What percentage of Military wives cheat on their husband while deployed?
It seems their are many women here on base that cheat and can be found in the base bars going home with other guys while their spouse is on a deployment......

If US lied its way to attack Iraq, what can UN or the international community do?
US presence in Iraq has been referred as illegal. No UN mandate. Can we avoid future adventurism by world power in smaller and less capable countries?...

When will President Bush start listening to the people and send home our troops?
The people have spoken! Is'nt it time to send home our troops! We are loosing to many servicemen and women. How many families are being affected by this useless war....

Am i entitled to half my husband's army pension?
we were married for 9 yrs,then divorced (we were married in england and divorced in america as he was in us army) there were three children in this marriage. he is now retired and living in the us ...

What is one good reason why Bush invaded Iraq?
One reason that you can prove, that amkes it a good desicion. Just one that is absolute and that I can't easily disprove by adding in an exra detail.
Additional Details
once again IR...

Is the US invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan good or bad?
Can you tell us your points-of-view?...

At what point should we use Nukes or Atomic bombs to protect our nation or troops?
Should we or shouldn't we. Think before you anwser please....

Who more dangerous, Hezbollah or al-Qaeda?

What would you do if iraq builds jets and bombs san diego?

Will joining the army help me lose weight?
Will joining the army help me lose weight?
I'm an 18 year old girl who is 5'5 and weighs about 108 lbs. Um, I recently gained 10 pounds (used to 97 lbs)....anyway, I need to lose some ...

There are 9 countries in the world that have nuclear weapons? Which are they?
I will give you two answers: Pakistan and U.S.A....

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, July 26, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links