Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

What does "semper fi" mean as used by the us marines?
Find answers to your legal question.

What does "semper fi" mean as used by the us marines?

Do You See What Happens Larry?
Rating
It's Latin for "always faithful".

♥just me♥
Rating
I agree with the first answer. My husband is a marine he always says that to other fellow marines.

SteveUK
Did somebody really just suggest the US Marines fought the Aztecs?
'Semper Fidelis' does mean 'Always Faithful' and is Latin. It has been adopted by several older and more deserving groups, previously.
USA begins 1776, Aztecs destroyed by Conquistadors in 15th century.

slabsidebass
this is in response to "the breed"
i wouldn't p i s s on the best part of you.

All Night Designer
Rating
Always Faithful

loreric
Semper fi, if this was an earlier time this would be one of the most dreaded battle cries in any field. As it is it is most often simply spoken and deeply felt. It is short hand for the US Marine motto "Semper Fidelis" always faithful. When uttered by a trained marine it means that he or she will be there, where ever there is and what ever happens there. It is a simple oath with a universe of ramifications.

paulisfree2004
Rating
always faithful , we are the largest faternity the world has seen once a Marine always a Marine OOOOOOORAH

sglmom
Rating
Faithful Always

PosseComitatus
It is short for "semper fidelis," latin for the Marine's motto "always faithful."

As used, it can be a greeting, a farewell, a positive acknowledgement of orders, a declaration of purpose, or as a closing to a conversation.

rmagedon
Rating
It is the shortened version of Semper Fidelis, which the other answerers quickly pointed out means Always Faithful. It became the motto of the Marine Corps in 1883

If you will note, the use of the word faith, which denotes a belief, faithful to God, Country, family and the Corps. No wonder the sociaists in the US hate the military, it must be a right wing religious group. I am surprised the ACLU has not sued to have it changed, although I suspect they are smart enough to know you do not want to make an enemy of the Corps.

And on 10 November we will celebrate the 231st birthday of our beloved Corps.

Semper Fi, brothers.

jrnh5150
"Semper Fi" means always fa...

double entendre
Rating
jarhead love's a-comin

RayRay
always faithful
semper fi my brothers

Dark Goddess
means Always faithful

John S
Always Faithful.

And to the bozo's who never paid any attention to history class...

Semper Fidelis was adopted about 1883 as the motto of the Corps. Before that, there had been three mottoes, all traditional rather than official. The first, antedating the War of 1812, was “Fortitudine” (“With Fortitude”). The second, “By Sea and by Land,” was obviously a translation of the Royal Marine’s “Per Mare, Per Terram.” Until 1848, the third motto was “To the Shores of Tripoli,” in commemoration of O’Bannon’s capture of Derna in 1805. In 1848, after the return to Washington of the Marine battalion that took part in the capture of Mexico City, this motto was revised to: “From the Halls of the Montezumas to the Shores of Tripoli" – a line now familiar to all Americans. This revision of the Corps motto in Mexico has encouraged speculation that the first stanza of “The Marines’ Hymn” was composed by members of the Marine battalion who stormed Chapultepec Castle.

Ex Air Force/Navy
Always getting messed over.

chrstnwrtr
Rating
It's short for "semper fidelis" and it is a Latin term for always faithful.

Brainy
Rating
By now you know.

ATTN;BRIANG731
bvincent

Thanks for the info about the Marines fighting MONTEZUMA in Mexico. It was a real accomplishment as poor old Montezuma was born in 1480 & died in 1520.

I hope your personnel motto isn't " SEMPER VERITAS "

briang731/ bvincent
Rating
It's actually Semper Fidelis, and it means "always faithful"!

This is a rallying cry the Marines picked up in Mexico when they fought the Aztec warrior Montezuma.

tom l
Rating
Hmmmmmmmmmm
And here all this time I thaught it meant "UP YOURS"

wonder if that generates a few e-mails ,,, LMAO

the_breeders_cup
Rating
It's a load of ****. It's to keep the sheep fighting. Try to give them something to believe in. Kind of like the glorification of the national anthem before every sporting event. Get everyone wet and juicy about their country. hahhaa. The terrorists have to get on a canoe and paddle for 100000 miles over the ocean and they think they are protecting freedom??? HAHAHHA. THey're just there to make Bush look and feel proud. Come home and play Xbox and **** your country. They do **** all for you,,.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Whos has strongest military united states or russian?
trying to finf out if we dont wanna go to war with russian or they dont wanna go war with us or tell me this china is the best over all more power than any one i ...

Why are the Black recruits not enlisting in the military like they did before 911?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/...

Osama bin laden?
Im sure i seen him on polk and Vaness streets in San francisco last night with a shaven head and beard. you see, he worked for the CIA and has a american passport and he walked into the ...

Why do people support bush when he sent solders in to an LEGAL war?

Additional Details
Yes elegal ... And since when was this a legal ...

Would you rather die with honour at 25, or live another 50 years as a civilian with no name on any memorial?
Personally I would rather live those extra 50 years....

This is a simple statement......not for the people who get easily hurt......?
H...

Can someone still get out of the Army during or after AIT, or are they already IN and HAVE to serve?

Additional Details
One person said it was possible during Basic Training and during AIT, everyone else said it was very hard to get out. Is there a point during AIT that you take an ...

What do you think would happen if the United States issued a draft for the Iraq War?
I was thinking about what would happen to Americans, and the rest of the world if McCain were to win the election and issue a draft. So what do you think would happen if they were to issue a draft ...

Were the marines and sailors from HMS Cornwall deliberately set up to be kidnapped by UK and USA governments?

Who thinks the aclu is anti-American?

Additional Details
if they protect our rights, y do they protect those rights of those ppl who protest soldiers funeral but when American soldeirs are in solitary confinement and havent ...

Enlistment?
I know the reality of Enlisting now, holds the possibility of going "there", but if you knew the decision was right. No matter the consequences would you still join?
Additional D...

If US and china has a war, do you think US can win?
if US and china has a war, do you think US can win?...

ROTC bravo company moto?
ours is
"Bravo company,
were the best,
forget the rest Hu-ah!"
and were looking for a new one so any ideas?
Additional Details
sorry but no, i go to a ...

I dont mean to pick on one of the answerers to my last question but Dr Z states that he is a Captain retired..
from the Marine Corps. is this a low rank for an officer to retire at? i understand if he was a "mustanger", which is a Marine who was promoted to officer from the enlisted ranks. i think ...

Homecoming Slogans!?
Ok, here's the deal....I need help coming up with some slogans for homecoming signs for our sailors who are returning from the desert and have been gone 6 mths...Anyone have any ideas, it would ...

How can a civilian female find a Military boyfriend?
Before you tell me to join, the Military won't accept me. I've tried all branches. They won't accept me because I'm a stroke victim. I think Military men are hot & gorgeous. H...

When do you think we should abandon this war and get out ?

Are we winning this war on terror?
With the NATO commander saying that the local Afghan population will soon be siding with the Taliban and our troops risking their lives with limited equipment and now several hundred troops/police ...

What happens if i dont show up for my ship date at meps?

So, Bush wants to lose ANOTHER war?!?
Read this;
http://news.yahoo.com/fc This idiot is actually threatening Iran now...
Honestly, how stupid is this guy? The ONLY reason I can see him wanting to stay in Iraq ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links