Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

What happens if you become injured during Army basic training?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if you become injured during Army basic training?

hoovarted
Rating
You are sent home with a medical discharge.

TraceyEsco
you get recycled which means you get to keep on going in basic but you are on a profile which means you dont get to the physical training until you heal and then you have to start where you stopped you can still graduate but it will take you longer and probably wont graduate with the people you started with. but you still have the chance to complete it.

Mrsjvb
they will keep you back until you are healed, then integrate you into another company that is at the same phase you were in when you got hurt.

rarely, if you are REALLY hurt badly but are expected to fully recover, just not quickly, you will be sent home to recover.. BUT you are STILL IN and MUST return to finish. or of you are broken, you will be discharged.

Alex E
You have the medical treatment necessary and then you will be able to finish the rest of the course! I am about to take one.

Helmut
Rating
In 2001 at Fort Jackson I developed multiple stress fractures and cracks in both shins. I was able to finish BCT, but not graduate with my platoon because I was unable to run to pass the last P.T. test (required before you go to AIT). From there I was sent too PTRP (Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Program). At Jackson PTRP is at the opposite end from the new recruit reception barracks and right next to the drill sergeant school. It is the same place where new recruits go if they are unable to pass the initial P.T. test before they move on to a BCT unit.

It used to be that you would stay at P.T.R.P. until they cleared you from your injury to go and do the P.T. test. Once cleared you are given four tries. If you fail all four times you get sent home with an Honorable Discharge, but with the narrative box on your DD214 stating "Unstatisfactory Performance" and a Re-entry code "3" which deems you unable to even think of talking to another recruiter, regardless of branch of service, for a minimum of two years.

The upside of P.T.R.P. is that you come out of there stronger than you went in and when you're recycled back to a BCT unit your P.T. is much easier for you than it is everyone else that didn't go to P.T.R.P. at all. If you are injured severly enough you may get convalescent leave to help with your recovery (great for morale, too). Many are discharged from P.T.R.P. because of poor attitude and/or the desire to continue on fades the longer you stay there. You start showing any of that then the drill sergeants will motivate you when you don't want the motivation.

So, while in BCT you better NOT injure yourself. The saying we had in P.T.R.P. when I was there was "P.T.R.P. is NOT the Army." You stay positive, concentrate on your P.T. and life will be great once you're out of there.

NYB
Rating
Depending on the injury they send you back home or send you back to reception untill you get better and get back to training... Also they start at the week you left off... So don't listen to ppl that tell you YOU WONT PASS, cuz that's not true... The other thing that can happen is you might get discharged, but it all depends on how bad your injury is...

angelosdad
If you get injured in Basic, you go to sick call and get a temporary profile. If it's something that causes you to miss too much time or too many events, you get recycled to another company that's behind yours in training. If it's really serious, you can get chaptered out or med boarded.

fractalarmor
Rating
So far, so good on the answers. They allow your injuries to heal, while excusing you from some training, which you will have to complete later. It will take you longer to graduate. Which is why I, and others in my platoon, didn't report the injuries until we got to AIT.

John V
Rating
Back in 1970, I pulled both achilles tendons in bayonet training, I was in my 5th week of basic at Ft. Jackson, I tried to hide it knowing full well I would be way behind, Finally had to go to doctor, they bandaged them and kept me in training, Just barely made it and severely painful, but I wanted to finish the hell.

jlm9398
it depends on the extent of the injury. If its something you can work thou like a twisted ankle or pulled muscle you are just put on profile and you continue to drive on. If you break a bone you will be placed on medical hold and allowed the bone to heal and you continue basic. If it is something that will DQ you from the military then you go to a board and get a medical discharge.

J.B. K
u go to the hospital run by the Army -- called national health care

roadhunter
They fix you up, and you take longer to get through basic. If you are injured to the point that you cannot continue in the military, then they send you home with a medical discharge and you get Veteran's Benefits.

rockemsockemrockandroll
Rating
I dont think you would get the purple heart and meet the president.

You cant touch this
Exactly what you agreed to happen when you agreed to join.

FoxForceFiveVega
Rating
Then you won't pass basic training.

stephen knuckles
I was hurt by my drill sergant he caused me to spend time in the hospital twice. We were doing an exercise and he caused me to hurt my back and leg. He showed up at the hospital. And said you just got yourself a first class ticket home. Well I've had a bad back and have walked with a limp for over 30yrs. This happened in 1977 his there anything I can do now. A friend of mine also was mistreated by this drill sergant. And its the truth he died during basic training! And this drill sergant told his family he would have been a great soldier. We both endedup with some kind of sickness we were both in the hospita for a week or two! We were on medical and he made him do pushups anyway! He never got up off the pavement. He died that day I knew the drill sergant killed him he told me it could happen to me to. These are facts that can be proven. Let me know what you think.

beallu33
My son received four fractures in the pelvic area at Fot Jackson during basic training. They are trying to take a short and just discharge him. What is the Army reg number to help with this situation so he can stay in and get treatment until it heals?

pevans@hail2theskins.com
My son was injuried while he was still in reception in BT. He was not given medical attention until almost a month later and they knew he was injuried from day one. His rotator cuff is torn and now the Army is giving him a medical discharge without surgery. Does this mean he will have to pay for his surgery once he gets home and can he rejoin once he heals?

Lvazquez977
I just found out my daughter hurt her knee at Ft. Jackson and they want to do a medical discharge. Should I tell her to refuse it and have her make them send her to P.T.R.P?

lillyp2015
My 18 yo is in basic. Unfortunately he got hurt last week. they believe that he has stressed his thigh muscle. they are taking xrays today. how can I find out what the diagnosis is and what happens now. I understand that he might be recycled but how will that work. he is a senior in high school in September.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I was recently in the States (ND) for the first time and I noticed something?
On the highways, I noticed over passes pretty much every 2 miles. I'm assuming it has something to do with the military. Also, I saw round marks on the grass and some of those areas were ...

How is it wrong for terrorists to kill soldiers?
The entire premise of military action is killing is justified in warfare. They did declare war -- a holy war -- but a war nonetheless. We kill them, they kill us. They declare war on us and we ...

What do you think would happen if all of the american soldiers came home?
Not just in Iraq, but here also.Since there will be a lot more men and woman home....

Should I join ROTC in college?
I am going to be attending UMD in the fall as a fire protection engineer. My mother is paying for my full tuition there, however, I don't want her to. Army or Airforce ROTC look like 2 good ...

What will happen to the world, if Israel has accesses to the atomic nukes?

Anyone in the Army?
Is there an age limit for active duty to live in the dorms. For example, if you are over 35 can you still live in the barracks?...

I was thinking about go to the military what branch should i go?
i wanted to either join the national guard or the marine ...

Is War good or bad???

Additional Details
when it involves guns,tanks,helicopters,etc....

Can one make a United States Marine say "I apologize" for following the orders of President Bush?

Did the 3 heads explode when the 7mm rounds hit them and what will we do with the 3 pirate carcasses?

Which of these moments are republicans most proud?
1-sending troops to war w/o body armour
2-when asked about WMDs, bush looks under a chair and responds, "well there are no WMDs under there!"
3-telling brownie he did a heckofva ...

What you think really happen at 9/11 (Twins towers)?
? was there a hidden truth be hide it.?...

Why is it that all our representatives to our government are old white people?

Reenlist for 4 more years in the Marines for 45 grand, E-6, orders and only one more trip to Iraq? Any advice?

I want to serve but I'm not sure the military would except me?
I am 18 and considering joining the military . The only problem is i have alot of problems and I'm not sure if i would be excepted . What do you think ?

I have adhd and cant focus on ...

What is really going on at Area 51?
Area 51 contains an airfield whose primary purpose is believed to be the operation and analysis of enemy aircraft and weapons systems, and secret development and testing of new military aircraft.........

What are the requirements to be President?
How can you be Commander and Chief of the worlds most powerful Military and not have at least served when called or Haven enlisted at one time? Other then the First George Bush we haven't had a P...

Best self defense round for concealed carry?
I'm trying to decide between four different rounds for self defense use: 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 or .357 Magnum. Right now, I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W because it has nearly the ...

Any yanks think Russia is about to start WWIII?
I have seen lots of questions by Americans who think Russia will start WWIII, well any of you want to put you're money where you're mouth is and bet with me? I bet as much money as you like ...

America is in danger. This is my thinking, what about your thinking?
Since iraq war begin until now, how many US troops has died? too many, right. Many US army right now in iraq. How about if right now, some country attack USA. Does USA army still can protect America, ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, September 14, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links