Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

What happens if you refuse to go to boot camp after you sign an Army Contract?
Find answers to your legal question.

What happens if you refuse to go to boot camp after you sign an Army Contract?

benbobbins
Rating
They shoot you in the face with a bazooka.

No, really, I believe it is a federal offense. You'd better go.

Mark W
Rating
It depends on if you have done your second swear in. If you went to MEPS a second time, you will be AWOL, then a deserter. If not, your training seat will be cancelled and you will be placed into a pool of able bodied men and women waiting to be called up in the event of a need for soldiers. You will not be drafted, because you will be in the Inactive Reserves and are subject to call up without a draft. Also, later in life when you are called or you change your mind again and want to join back up, the Army will not be as accomodating as they were when you signed up.

Honestly, even if you hate what you signed up for, look at what you would have in a few years: Veteran status, marketable skill, and education, respect, stronger proven values. These are what you will have to help you succeeed. Nowhere else will you get all of these so fast. Figure out what is causing you to change your mind. Is it fear of teh unknown, the dangers, family or friends talking to you, making you doubt your decision making abiility??? Do they really have your best interest at heart, or do they have their own agenda. If you don't ship out, how will you achieve those dreams and goals that pushed you to want to enlist in the first place?

Crys H.
Rating
You can be charged with desertion and taken to military court. You would get a dishonorable discharge at best, possibly fines and jailtime.

klund_pa
Rating
Is this a serious question?

If you sign a contract, you are legally bound by the stipulation in the contract. It is only negotiable BEFORE you sign it.

There is a statement on it that dictates you have not lied or been inaccurate in the information you provided and if you try later to say you lied, then you can legally be brought to trial and face a fine (currently $250,000 US dollars), and/or prison for 10 years.

Beyond that, you have a criminal record that you will be forced to admit for the rest of your life. You can be denied financial aid, the right to vote, and you will have a personal stigma that can't be erased by the course of time or any amount of money.

If you have second thoughts, DON"T sign up. It is an 8 year obligation in total. If you sign and didn't read it first, shame on you. Life is built on experience, always know what you sign before hand, afterwards it will be too late.

Honeybee
Rating
You can get out of it, under "failure to adapt to military life".

I think you have a yr to do it.

benninb
If you have signed an Army Contract and you dont go to boot camp, YOU WILL GO TO JAIL FOR DESERTION!!

Jerry H
Rating
Your Awall. They find you and put you in the Brig.

mfdjrfirefighter330
Rating
after you sign the paper saying you will go though bootcamp i believe you have 1-3 days to change your mind

Joe K
You are put on the AWOL list, the MP's come get you and then you get court marshalled. You will get a dishonorable discharge and then serve 5 to 7 years prison time.

johnman142
Rating
just go to boot camp and fail to qualify, fail the tests, they will send you home or make you a general either way is not bad. BUT if you dont show they will hunt you down forever there are cases of people being caught from the Viet Nam era so 30 years means nothing to them. flunk the tests and they will send you home or tell them you are gay, under the dont ask dont tell they will discharge you

frankie59
Rating
At that point probably discharged as not worth the trouble to the army, could do more but probably wont. Will not be an honorable discharge though.

mizzzzthang
You are considered AWOL and will be court marshalled......Go and take care.......

djack
Rating
First of all, why did you sign the paperwork if you didn't really want to go? If you have issues yourself or with family, you've gone too far not to let your recruiter work with you on those concerns.

That said, you're not actually in the Army till you get to MEPS on ship day. However, talk to your recruiter ASAP. You're screwing him/her over & if you wait too long you may have serious problems. They'll let you out if you're on a DEP contract (which you probably are). You need to fix this pronto though.

DOOM
nothing. absolutely nothing. I promise. And if you're too weak to make it to basic, I don't want you in the army.

You won't go to jail and you won't be brought up on any charges. Before you can even ship, there's another piece of paper you have to sign, and then swear in again. If you do both of those, you'll be on a bus in no time, and unable to change your mind until you get to reception.

If you don't want to be in the army, then I don't want you in the army, and neither does anyone else.

Stuart
You can be charged with dereliction of duty under the UCMJ (Unified Code of Military Justice).

You can be sentenced to prison, and after prison, can be sent on to boot camp, anyway.

Just go.

erudite
Rating
They will kick you out.

Vlad the Impaler
You're AWOL and open for a court martial.

lisa p
Rating
i am not sure but you might be sent to military prison....my ex was in the military and you can not go against what they tell you to do without MAJOR consequences

WiseWon
Nothing really happens. The Army is so tolerant and forgiving that if you change your mind they really support you and helping you determine what is in your best interest. They often look the other way on things like this. There are many people today who've decided to leave the Army unannounced, and they're still running today.

ryan m
Rating
go to jail

Bill S
Just go. Here is a little known fact for your. You can actually resign while in boot camp. The government has not put that much money into you so you can do it.

jake
seeing if someone can help me out here guys. I am in the DEP program for the NAVY and am going in for SEALs. Lately though i have come to realize im just to old and no longer have the Motivation for it... So since I haven not signed the Full Contract yet is there a way to get out? any advice or info would be great thank you.

Dan
Nothing happens and trust me, I speak from experience. I had signed up for the Army, swore in, went to the meps center, passed my physical, swore in a second time and was waiting for the plane to arrive to take me to basic. It was at this point that I had a change of heart. In informed the person at the desk that I had changed my mind and that I was leaving. They threatened me with everything from a dishonorable discharge to having to sit in a military jail. When that didn't work, they tried to talk me into just flying down to basic and then they said I could say that I didn't wanna be there and I would be sent back. They claimed they wanted me to fly down because of having something to do with getting the same amount of funding from the government next year. Needless to say, I got tired of arguing with them and just walked out. After that, I got one call from my recruiter asking what had happened. I told him and that was the last I ever heard from the Army. In conclusion, if you have changed your mind and you don't wanna go, then don't. Nothing will happen to you.

Betty Szampruch
HELP - Quick! Son has changed his mind about going into the airforce. He hasn't done the final swearing in (where he ships out the next morning to Texas-scheduled for April 26, 2011) but did sign many papers. After reading all of the comments here, I'm am still confused and want to make sure he doesn't get in major legal trouble. Does anyone have an official site with specific instruction on where I can confirm that he can or cannot back out? My husband was in the Navy and he's is under the impression that at this point he can't back out.

Randy
I don't know about some of these answers on here, for the Navy if you haven't had the second signing you will make everyone mad and they will tell you all kinds of lies then if you stick to your guns and refuse to sign they will tell you to go home. If you are in boot camp and you refuse to take orders or just can't do what they tell you to do. You will be assigned unfit for military duty and in most cases be given a general discharge for the benefit of the Navy and released from active duty. My younger brother and two of my sisters sons went thru this and this is what they recieved. I spent 14 yrs in the Navy and have had young sailors sent home when I was leading petty officer I took them to the medical doctor because they were straight out of boot camp and could not handle Navy life and was a danger to themselves and others and it was under the same rule listed above that they were discharged although they recieved all their benefits.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

I hate the Army and I want out.?
I recently swore into the Army Reserves. I've been to drill, and I HATE the Army. Joining was the biggest mistake of my life. I love and support the military and it's soldiers, and I ...

What is the exact reason you can't go into Area 51?

World War II?
Chose between statement A and B, Then say which continent you're from. its for a project I'm doing on global education for school. Thanks if you help :-)

A) The U.S.A won world ...

Do you believe America is a war mongering nation?
I always hear our president claim we want to live in a peaceful world, yet we have a huge military and have been at war almost non-stop since we were founded....

How much weight do people lose during military basic training?

Would this wake up liberals to the muslim menace?
Seems the news is reporting that many school systems are getting this types appplying to drive school buses etc. Will a Beslin style school bombing finally wake up the left? Or will they cheer the ...

Do you think we will see World War III in our life time?

Should Bush be on trial for all the innocent dead Americans and Iraqi people?
i am sure more iraqi's have been killed by the u.s. invasion then by saddam, this leaves a big question was it worth it.
remember the war started on lies no wepons of mass destruction have ...

Why should the US and other nuke powers be allowed to have weapons and Iran not allowed to build them?
Shouldn't the UN vote sanctions on all nuclear powers, and if Israel has nuclear weapons shouldn't muslim nations be allowed to build weapons in the spirit of detente and MAD....

This war has gone on long enough, and have you noticed all the 18 to 25 young men dieing, they are not ready.?
Every evening I watch the news hour with Jim Leher, and every evening at the end of the show, he shows the pictures and ages of the young men who have died in Iraq. If you took a poll, the majority ...

What are the three names in the Trenity?

Is it true that being in combat is just like playing video games?
What are the similarities?...

Do you think WWIII will happen during your lifetime?
Do you think it will reach American soil ever? Do you think it is possible for another country to come to our land and invade us?...

Why haven't liberals been congratulating Jeb Bush's son for going into the navy?

Additional Details
I spent 22 years in the navy.

His first assignment is a school for new intelligence officers. The school is a year long....

What can i send my squaddie boyfriend for xmas in iraq?

If, in the long run, we're all dead...aren't Concentration Camps a good way for body disposal?

Question for Brits?
What are we supposed to do? Are we supposed to just ask them how they plan to kill us?
Additional Details
In relation to ...

Who agrees with SUPPORT OUR TROUPS NOT THIS WAR??
i got stickers made for my vehicle with this saying on it cuz i dont agree with the war but im behind the troops 100%. expecially my fiance who is over there.
Additional Details
im just ...

What branch of the U.S.A millitary should I Join?
I'm 17 and next year I'll be out of high school and in the real world.I just dont know if i should join USMC or USAF.I'm really smart but I want 2 join the marines because i'm ...

How many people do you know that are serving in the U.S military?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, December 20, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links