Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

When you go AWOL/Desertion is the discharge always dishonorable?
Find answers to your legal question.

When you go AWOL/Desertion is the discharge always dishonorable?

John H
Rating
If you are convicted of going AWOL/deserting and the punishment for that offence includes discharge from the service then yes I think the discharge would be dishonourable.

However it is possible that the sentence would not include discharge. If this was the case then you would continue in the service, after serving whatever punishment was administered, and your subsequent discharge would not necessarily be dishonourable.

shoshidad
Rating
Any conviction of a serious offense, and for the military there is none more serious than desertion, mandates a dishonorable discharge, after the sentence is completed.

emanon
Umm yeah... You deserted them.. What would you expect?

gailforce_wind
AWOL and desertion are two different things. If the personnel returns to their post and is tried and acquitted or no charges are filed, they may receive an honorable or other than honorable discharge later, if they are court martialed and convicted then their discharge is always dishonorable.

ilovemyarmyguy
Rating
DUH, I wouldn't worry about the dishonorable discharge. Jail time is your bigger problem.

connie777lee
Rating
What do you think desertion means? Do you expect a party thrown in their honor? They are probably lucky that they weren't shot for doing that.

Isis
LOL Can you think of something honourable about that? I don't think so.

frenchy62
Rating
Not always --- if a person has been AWOL for less than thirty days, it is in his/her best interest to either report back to their unit or turn themselves in to authorities. When under thirty days, the punishment may be a field-grade Article 15, 45 days extra duty/restriction and reduction in rank. But staying in the military is a possibility.

If the service member has been AWOL for more than thirty days, he becomes a deserter and a Dishonorable Discharge is almost certain.

KSM
Rating
Desertion in a time for war can be punishable by death, pretty cool huh. Good Luck, If you are AWOL then you or whoever you know that is AWOL is a weak sissy girl.

TheBystander
Yes.

Ă‘ina
Rating
i think so

fisherman214
Rating
AWOL or Absent without leave is when they are gone under 30 days and is usually punished by NJP (Non Judicial Punishment) i.e. a fine. Desertion, however is over 30 days and is punishable by Court Martial.Since there are 3 different Courts Martial the punishment increases with each court.

Yeah it's me Susie
Rating
absolutely.

Breana
Rating
The only exception is if you were mentally unstable at the time (and can prove it) then it can be honorable.
Also it can be less then honorable if you did it in a moment of extreme distress and you kiss alot of but later on.
It also depends on which branch of service you are in

Jay B
Rating
I have seen a hundred and one different outcomes from AWOL/Desertion. Honestly, majority of the cases have not been through courts martial. If you have been absent for less than 30 days then you are more likely to be giving the option of non-judicial punishment, an Article 15 which can be one or all of the following. Forfeiture of pay, loss of rank, extra duty, and restriction to a post. If you decline the Article 15 your case will be seen in a Military Court and you will more then likely receive a Dishonorable Discharge. Sometimes when the individual returns, the punishment will vary, depending on the persons chain of command, and the individuals past performance. If the individual was a hard worker and always tried his or her best, then the chain of command might be more lenient. On the other hand if the person was a complete dirt bag then the person can count on a harsh punishment.
If you have been gone for more then 30 days you will be dropped from the unit rolls, then you are considered a deserter and during a time of war it is punishable by death. If you show a clear intent to remain then you can be considered only AWOL and deal with the non judicial punishment, if not you will deal with a courts-martial. The fact is that the U.S. has not put anyone to death for desertion since 1945. I have seen people return and their chain of command initiated a Chapter which the person is discharged administratively, which normally is a General Discharge, sometimes an Other than Honorable Discharge. So the Answer to your question is, no it not always a dishonorable discharge for AWOL/Desertion

mike
if you are in the army they will most likely give you an option to stay and accept a feild grade article 15 in leuw of a court marshall. All you would have to do is 45 days restriction and extra duty. you would also forfeight half a months pay for two months. if you didnt want to except the article 15 you would be tried by court marshall and if convicted face one year in jail and a dishonorable discharge. i believe that is the max punishment.

REVELE
YES AND NO. ONCE YOU ARE FOUND, YOU WILL BE TRIED FOR YOUR CRIME. IF YOU CAN PROVE THERE WAS A JUSTIFIED REASON, LIKE SOMETHING A MEDICAL EXAM COULD PROVIDE, THEN YOU CAN BE DISCHARGED IN OTHER MEANS, OTHER THAN HONORABLE/MEDICAL ECT. , IF YOU CAN NOT, THEN YOU WILL BE DISCHARGED DISHONORABLY AFTER YOU SERVE TIME AT THE "LEVY". WHICH IS ACTUALLY BETTER THAN DAYS GONE BY, WHERE YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN EXECUTED.

E
My daughter's father went AWOL from the ARMY in April. I stopped receiving child support, none for May and June, then in July and August I did receive the child support. I just received a letter from child support enforcement stating he is no longer in the service, not sure if he was arrested, court martialed, ect. Can I get this information and how? also, I am wondering if the Army will continue paying the court ordered child support or not. Any answers will help tremendously!!!!

B
To answer this question from a personal point of view i was in the army was spose to be sent over sees to my duty station and i found out that my son was taken away from his mother and was going to be put in a foster home i contacted my new base and the told me i had to come there when i was spose to but if i did that i would have missed the court date in my home state for my son. Not feeling i had a choice i didnt report to my base when i was spose to and stayed to deal with the problems with my son. due to the fact i was between stations they never knew i was gone. I ended up being gone for 2 years and never did they find out i was gone till i went back to take care of the situation. I was discharged with out going to court and was given a general under honerable conditions discharge due to the reasons i left. being young and scared and honestly stupid i didnt do the right thing but had a good record in the military before i left so honestly its really up to your CO if he or she is nice and understanding about your reasons to leave then they can give you what ever discharge they want to give you. I think i was luck and most people dont get it. But my advice is GO BACK before they catch you it looks better on you that way. i know you can turn your self in at ft.knoxs in KY good luck hope this helps!

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

My Marine friend has a girlfriend. Should I still write to him and offer my support?

I just graduated college and cannot find a job in my area. Thinking about the military. Any thoughts?
Which do you think has a boot camp that a girl could get through? Which has the best benefits?

Which branch of the military would I not have to worry about being "on the front ...

If you were the president Bush, what would you do now?
With all this crisis going on how would you handle it? Doenst matter what it is if you have a better idea then lets hear it!...

Was Anna Nicole Smith Worth More Than A US Serviceman?
If not, then why is she continually in my face on the news while more soldiers and marines die anonymously?...

Why do you love Chuck Norris?
Maybe it's because I'm not an american, but frankly I don't get why people love him. Is it the high kicks, smile, tight jeans or something else??? It he the modern John Wayne? Could he ...

Is the UN a toothless tiger with all the conflicts and wars going on around the world?
Looks like they could have troops on the ground within a month. What say ya'll (as Bubba woud say).
Additional Details
Thanks for that answer Paddy. Had a friend over there and he ...

World Peace??
In my debate class, someone came up with a bill saying that there should be peace on earth. It says that All armies have to dissolve because they are immoral and kill people. However, there should ...

Will there ever be a World War 3 (WW3) and if so what do you think will happen?

Anyone know someone in Iraq?
Just curious how many people are out there......

God bless our ...

Why do people think the M-16 is better than a AK-47, when it is inferior to it?
A AK will function perfectly in dust, in freezing cold, and can be buried in the ground for a year and still work....

Why is a war prisoner, and a poor pilot a hero?
He also got cheated by bush four years ago. He's not anything 'special'....

What is the average pay for a soldier in Iraq?
I'm talking about an enlisted Army man, in the service for 2 years, who has been sent to Iraq twice now. He has a new wife living at home with her mother, a baby on the way, and an ex-wife and ...

My brother wants to be in the navy or Seals.....what should I tell him?
He is even willing to be in the army....but I tell him I dont think its the best Idea, plus he's only 18 and has his whole life ahead of him, and he's very smart and in college right now.......

Can I change from the Army to the Air Force?
I am in the DEP(delayed entry program) for the Army.

I e-mailed and talked to people from the Air Force, and asked them if it was possible for me to get out of the Army DEP...they said ...

In the army if you are in a non-combat MOS but are in a battlefield, do they give you a weapon?
I want to be a 46R, Broadcast Journalist, which would be a reporter more or less... and the idea of being on a battlefield reporting on combat zones w/o a weapon to defend myself with is kind of ...

How many different duty stations did you have your first 4 years in the military?

Did anyone else see that video the Marine throwing the puppy?
Ugh I think I'm scarred. That poor puppy's yelps......

Why do you think people should NOT support troops?
i really need to know becuase i can't think of anything.

i really need someone to help me get my strain of thought going lol....

Is it more painful to be shot or to be stabbed?
Assume all other things are equal i.e. same amount of permanent injury, same part of the body, etc....

When do u think the war is gonna end?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links