Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

Why did soldiers urinate in their socks in ww1?
Find answers to your legal question.

Why did soldiers urinate in their socks in ww1?

?
As a very primitive gas mask. When gas was first used some soldiers covered their mouths with socks or rags soaked in urine to help fight against its effects.

After the first German chlorine gas attacks, Allied troops were supplied with masks of cotton pads that had been soaked in urine.

It was found that the ammonia in the pad neutralized the chlorine. These pads were held over the face until the soldiers could escape from the poisonous fumes. Other soldiers preferred to use handkerchiefs, a sock, a flannel body-belt, dampened with a solution of bicarbonate of soda, and tied across the mouth and nose until the gas passed over.

Using gas as a weapon is as disgusting as mines or cluster bombs (Source: Me)

Alfie
To try avoid getting gassed, used as a mask. Grandad failed and copped it, had gastric illnesses all his life after 1916. But at least he came home. Millions didn't.

AnYa!!!!!
They also urinated on bits of cloth and things like socks to cover their face in the event of a gas attack.

michael s
The answer to this is strange it was used when there was a mustard gas attack... The urin in the soks. They would take the socks and rap around mouth and nose and it prevented the affect of the gas into thier lungs....

Karen
Soldiers countered chlorine gas by urinating on their socks and holding them over their noses (the ammonia repelled the chlorine).

michelle t
so when the gas bombs were thrown over head by the enemy they cud block out the fumes with the urine sock - which could save there life

jeff the drunk
Rating
To prevent from getting trench foot or jungle rot. Think of it as really bad, horribly bad athletes foot. The ammonia in your urine kills the bacteria. I know, its gross, but hey....

Mike
I think they did it because it was probably one of the only ways they could keep their feet warm and keep from getting frostbite maybe. And it is said that the acidity would actually clean any wounds that were their, and would keep and disease's from getting them

MANLY EGO
they where trying to keep the Germans away with the smell.....hehehe...nah, i believe it was an informal way of combating trench foot.

chris b
Rating
The urine actually helps the feet in the recovery process of tired, scaled, and rashed feet due to them damn combat boots which were not very comfortable. Todays Soldiers should be fighting with Nike Ultra tread high tops, green in color.

Abdelghany S
Urine has high amount of Ammonia to help killing fungus and bacteria and irritation!

hondanut
Rating
..to prevent foot diseases...

james.houghton
Rating
During both WW1 and WW2 soldiers urinated in their boots to try and soften them up to prevent blisters.

funky munky is back
This is because urine is a good antiseptic, and they always had sore feet and ankles with them rough socks and heavy boots. So urine being a good antiseptic was suppost to help their sore feet heal.

perifo2000
Rating
The earlier answers were right, it is to stop trenchrot. Even today people like bricklayers and builders piss on their hands to heal splits in their fingers during the winter months

Nemesis
To try to prevent blisters.

cp_scipiom
Rating
Urine is usually sterile and it has some antiseptic qualities. The biggest problem in the trenches was "foot rot"- an extreme case of "athletes foot", leading sometimes to amputation. Remember these were the times before antibiotics were invented - so it may be that urine was the only thing available to try and control the infection

El Pistolero Negra
Rating
To combat athletes foot I suppose. Or perhaps it was for the enjoyable smell of feet and urine combined.

mr.tuf3
Rating
Either to stop something, like trench foot, or to start something, like trench foot.

Wolfpacker
Rating
It got rid of athlete's feet. They were told to by Medics. (It was also safer than going to side alone to pee)

Tridon & Silverscreen
To stop trenchfoot I believe

Tridon

Jessi
to keep their feet warm as it was fought during winter months

?
to warm their feet

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why are Democrats and the media so eager for US to lose in IRAQ?
At this point in time it is clear for the Domcrats, RINO's (repulicain in name Only), and the media (NBC, CBS, NY TIMES etc) they are cheering for the US to fail in IRAQ. It has also become ...

How would I go about turning in an soldier from the US Army who went AWOL during basic training?

Additional Details
And btw if your just going to tell me how horrible I am for doing what I think is right, you can kiss off and not even answer the question. I have a right to do what I...

Should good-looking men be restricted from direct military combat?

Bush Show Thrower, What's your views on him being put behind bars for two years?
The journalist who threw his shoes at Bush( Muntadhar al Zeidi) could spend two years in jail for insulting a foreign leader, what do you think of this?
Al Zeidi threw his shoes and shouted at B...

I need advice. I don't know what to do with my future. I am 26 years of age and I am stuck in a rut.?
I don't know whether to apply at Hawai'i Pacific University or join the Navy. Of course I am a bit terrified beacause the Navy is not going to be easy but at the same time, the rewards are ...

Did I just hear that George Bush did NOT want?
a cease fire between Lebanon and Israel? If this is true, can someone please explain it to me? I'll be totally honest, my life has been stressful as it is and I haven't paid so much ...

How come I feel shame over my nephew joining the Marines?
He's smart enough to go to college but he had to go into the Marines on July 25th and now he has to deal with those narrow minded jar heads. Now what would make him do a silly thing like that? H...

The Army told me I could not join them because I have 6 misdemeanor charges.Can i try in another town?
I was just told by the US Army, that they would not take me because I have 6 misdemenaor charges, so I was thinking, could i try enlisting in another town 20 minutes from me? Or is it the same thing.?...

Can all of us in here who are really smart enough agree on this?
Those of us in the military section of yahoo answers who are smart enough to realize that users like Ashley Meyers, ERUDITE, and the others on here who are simply trying to get a rise out of people ...

If you served in Iraq do you now feel stupid?
You went into the military and thought you had purpose. After iraq you knew you were taken for a ride. Feel stupid?...

Is 17 to young to talke to a marine corps recruiter?

When are are we going to stop our incredibly stupid policy in Afghanistan and Iraq?
After years of shedding our blood and huge monetary costs, Al Qeda is stronger than ever and the situation In Afghanistan and Iraq far worse than in the first year. The generals are now asking for ...

Could Hitler have survived WWII and fled to a foreign country after undergoing facial surgery?

Additional Details
http://happynazi.ytmnd.c...

Now this is my personal belief but.... what do you think?
I know that I'm opening myself up for alot of people to be rude and crude and irrational but:

I think that the military members should be paid more. This has been something that has ...

Serious accident involving lady in my life?
I cant understand it,I was in the mess hall and overheard the 2 soldiers in front of me saying that my lovely girlfriend had a weapon discharged in her face that very morning.

I ran over ...

Is it true that World War III will begin in 2010?
some people claim that a world war will erupt in 2010...

Can terrorism be fought with violence?
do you think whether the mumbai terror attacks would have been lesser if the civilians had guns and had retaliated the attack?

does the government realise that this is high time to ...

Why would people join the military during the war.?

Why are our soldiers so unhappy?
The suicide rate is rising:

http://news.aol.com/stor ....

Army or Marines?
which one is better?...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, November 23, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links