Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Is prison a good form of punishment?
Find answers to your legal question.

Is prison a good form of punishment?

Do you think prison is a good form of punishment or is it just a big waste of time and money?

CAT^
Rating
At the very least, It protects society from criminals for a period of time. I would think that the reality of prison would be a deterrent, but it doesn't seem to deter many. If you have a better solution that would spare tax payers, victims, and citizens, please share it with your Governor.

Mordent
Rating
No. It doesn't do anything other than take criminals out of society for a few years and stopping them personally offending - it doesn't do anything to address crime rates or why people offend in the first place. Prison teaches criminals to become better (they learn off each other as to how to get better at it) and doesn't stop people committing crime.

Quite as to what the answer is I don't know - but it's not prison.

Jake Rather
Rating
It depends on how a person was raised, those that were raised to take responsibility for their own actions, the answer is "yes", and they should get a second chance in life after serving their time.

But for those that were raised liberal, and everything gone wrong in their life is always the fault of someone else, the answer is "no", and they should get 99 years in the electric chair.

Ricardo s
Rating
It may not be the best form of punishment, but it gets them off the streets and makes life safer for you and me.

kerfitz
Any more it is just a big waste of money. Pandering to criminals is one of the reasons I don't like the liberal idealists. Prison should be a place NOBODY wants to go to. Take away the tv's the modern workout equipment the free college education the unlimited access to the court system and everything that makes it seem less a prison. Maybe if they were a little crueler and harsher there wouldn't be so many criminals... make everyone stay in their cell, no outdoor activity, no courtyard gangs, no email, no human contact......

unrepentant poster
Rating
Unless you want killers and child molesters just walking around it is either jail or a bullet to the brain. You decide

elaina
Rating
yaa..i think itz gud...4 criminals...dey deserve dis...punishment....nd may b dey change after release...

xXElysiumXFireXx
Rating
most of the time they dont have anything else to do with the criminals.
so prison is the answer, unfortunately.

It's That Guy
Rating
I don't think prison's real purpose is punishment, or at least we don't use it for that, we use it to keep criminals off the street so they can't do more harm. And we certainly need them for that, but as a 'correctional' or 'rehabilitational' institution prison is underused. We don't believe in rehabilitation anyway.

The problem we have is that crime and punishment issues have become so highly politicized. Politicians try to bash each other for being soft on crime, and to outdo each other on being tough on crime. This means we pass laws that are more and more strict, jigger the court system to give prosecutors more power and judges and defenders less power, and double and triple prison sentences. We do these things for their own sake, regardless of their cost-effectiveness or their effectiveness as a deterrent to crime. Consequently, we can't build prisons fast enough; they are overcrowded as soon as they're built. And there's no money in the budget for rehabilitation or career training or any of those things.

Here in California we have tripled our prison population in 15 years. We doubled sentences for most crimes and then doubled them again. Then we put in a 3-strikes law that makes your third serious crime a 25-to-life sentence, but we didn't remove the law that makes a third crime a felony even if it's a minor matter like shoplifting. So we have guys going to prison for 25-to-life for stealing a slice of pizza. We are spending so much on prisons that we can't afford schools. In fact some state politicians have seriously suggested just shutting down a few state college campuses and converting them to prisons. And any politician who has the nerve to criticize this 'reign of terror' is bashed as a 'criminal coddler'.

If we could make our streets safer by locking more people up, we'd have the safest streets in the world! 8^)

Captain Moe
Rating
Depends on the prison. You do it like most states, where they get cable TV, then its a big waste of time.

You do like that sheriff in Arizona, where they sleep in old army tents, and get meals that cost the state less than a buck a piece, then its a bit more bang for the taxpayers' money.

EDIT:
Ok, so I checked, the Arizona sheriff's meals cost the state about 15 cents each, and he has 2000 inmates in his "tent prison"

JAMES11A
Yup.

gregg
Rating
I do not think that prison is punishment. Prisons are holding stations for those who are some way deservant of being in a holding cell.
It is the attitude of the person in the prison that thinks that what he did was good and that putting him in this cell is punishment for a good deed.

Mprince
a crime is a crime, and everyone who commits one knows the consequences. I do think though that some should stay in for the rest of their lives.

MvL
It all depends on what you're trying to achieve. I think it's not a particularly effective form of punishment, per se, but that it is a very good deterrant for first time would-be offenders. I think, however, that once someone has served a significant "stint" in prison, it won't be viewed with that much dread, and won't stop ex-cons from taking criminal risks.

Besides, the whole point of modern justice is not to punish, but to deter and rehabilitate, and keep criminals off the streets. It does only a good job deterring people who haven't been to prison, I think, does a lousy job rehabilitating, ut is useful for keeping criminals off the streets.

I guess, one problem is that there aren't any reasonable alternatives. So prison's basically here to stay.

Yahoo Answer Angel
It serves two purposes: 1) punishment...for those who like the three square meals, the roof over the head, and the man on man romance....it's not much of a punishment.
2) It keeps the thugs off the streets for periods of time. That, I very much like and will pay taxes to continue.

sammael_coh
Rating
It's a good form of punishment. Rehabilitation has been tried over and over. It's failure rate is abysmal and that's why we are back to warehousing the problem children.

JJ
Rating
its a good punishment but its not a good rehibilitation. america doesnt want to rehibilitate anybody, they just want to keep them in jail. lock everybody up, thats the mindset.

DL M
No the current law system has been skillfully designed over alot of years to get people familiar with punishing other people to the point that it's common place, so we don't see that now , in todays reality, you me , anyone can get sent to prison for an act that can fall under one or more law violation
definitions.
Get used to the thought of imprisonment and slavery ~ It's coming for all good men and women.

SIU
It's perfect for corrupt police officers.

ahsoasho2u2
As a form of punishment?
Where is the punishment?
Inmates are not made to work anymore, are fed 3 meals a day, have free medical, free dental, free eye care, free clothing, free GED, free trade (vocational school), free room and board.
The only thing that is not free is the inmate. They are not free to come and go as they please, are not free to leave the facility for term of sentencing.This is the only freedom one has the freedom to come and go as they please. Rehabilitation? about 66% fail with in the first 2 years of release.

♥ KiKi is going 2 be a big sis ♥
it's not a waste of time but that doesn't mean that all crimanals learn there lesson when they get out of jail some don't and countiue to break the law so if they get caught again their sentence is longer. but also crimanls actually have a lot of free time they can go to school while in jail have jobs and earn money for the things they need. so they do get to have some sort of a life

lpdhcdh
Depends what what you think a "good form of punishment is".

I think keeping criminal scum away from the rest of society is a worthy in its self. I don't agree with all the benefits they get inside which is where the waste of money comes into it.

As for rehabilitation, what a joke. I can't believe people still believe crim scum can be rehabilitated. They have spent their entire lives developing their criminal mindset, and some dumb@ss thinks a short stint in prison will take care of it.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What crimes deserve corporal punishment?

The police confiscated kegs and my tap from a party. Can I retrieve these items from the police station?

Should UK police carry firearms?
Really I think they should and be given powers to use them on judgement. When a copper wants to help you against 15+ chav punks beating and stabbing you. He needs a firearm not just a metal stick. S...

What happens if i get stop by the cops?
hello

i own and drive a 1990 Dodge Omni and today i was driveing and the mulffer fell off the car so i stoped and picked it up i called the mulffer shop and they told me they can't ...

What's realistically the best way to make a complaint about a policeman in the UK?
I have a problem with a county police force in the South-East.Where exactly should I do?Who is the best place to go for advice/help?...

Should the use of semi-automatic army style guns be restricted and outlawed?
Should the big ak-47's etc be outlawed among citizens who do not work under the law?...

The police broke the door down and arrested a friend. Can his landlord insist he pays for it to be repaired?
My friend was innocent and no charges were brought, but his landlord still wants him to pay for it. Are they really within their rights to ask him to do so?
Additional Details
My friends ...

Do traffic police have to wear there hats?? especially when pulling someone over..?
i was pulled over recently for a minor traffic offence and have to go to court, i was told that seen as the officer was by himself and not wearing a hat i could get it chucked out of court, was just ...

Why Do The Prisoners Have To Sit So Long On Death Row?
While i'm not defending the horrendous acts they are accused of committing, I was wondering why it takes so long to execute death row inmates? I am not saying they should be killed off ...

How many of you carry some type of protection with you?
Whether it be a pocket-knife, pepper spray or even a gun in your car or on you...how many people carry weapons for personal protection on a daily basis? I carry a knife on me all the time, not so ...

How much time in jail, if any?
i know i already asked this, but i need more answers. my friend was caught scratching up a car, owned by a car dealership. just scratching it around like a key & drawing on it (i know its very ...

Going to bed the other night,I noticed people in my shed stealing things...I phoned the plod,but was told....?
...no one was in the area to help. They said they would send someone over as soon as possible.

I hung up. A minute later I rang again. 'Hello,', I said, 'I called you a ...

Why does the justice system keep depraved murderers in prison for life instead of executing them?
You know, that guy who brutally murders his family, a group of fast food employees during a botched robbery, or tortures a family before murdering them probably shouldn't have taxpayers pay for ...

Is a stun gun an effective and safe weapon for personal protection?
I wouldn't think of owning a gun. But sometimes I think I would feel safer if I had an effective, but non-lethal weapon. I've been considering a stun gun.

Gun nuts: Don't ...

Do you have to tell your probation officer you're getting married?

Do you believe that a cop would lie under oath in court in order to obtain a conviction?

Can a cop write a speeding ticket without knowing the speed I was traveling?
I just bought a new car and decided to test drive it out a little bit. I went driving at about 2 in the morning on some very non busy streets. I was going about 85 in a 45 mph zone when i saw a cop ...

My friend/rape?
My friend had a horrible relationship with an extremely jealous guy... it became too ugly to describe. She moved on and he just went crazy. I was always there for her and I didn't think he would ...

Two Girls On Drug Smuggling?
"There were basically two boys over here who gave us two bags. We never thought anything bad was inside ... and they told us to go to the UK and drop it off to some boy ... at the airport."<...

Do you flash you headlights to warn others of police waiting?

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links