Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Cars & Transportation Safety

Should 14 Year Olds be Allowed To Drive?
Find answers to your legal question.

Should 14 Year Olds be Allowed To Drive?

i need answers supporting why 14 year olds should be able to drive for a class. nothing against 14 year olds driving please
thanks
Additional Details
this is for a class, i need to support this side of the argument

deeemc
Rating
cus we can r a pe the traffic like i did yo granny

Vipassana
Do you really expect to get anything supporting that?

The only support I have for it, is that it means tons and tons of presumptuous 14 year olds who have no business driving, will get themselves killed.

Thus leaving the roadways open to more mature drivers, who can show responsibility.

But that's just Darwin's theory.

G Mac
there are too many 14 year olds, allowing them to drive would thin the population a bit.

but seriously there is no reason they should be allowed to drive. 16 is too young.

Julia B
you shouldnt support that

Corey
Rating
The ability to drive should be based on skill and maturity, not age. Age doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've known a lot of 14-years-olds who I would trust with a car (or ballot or even a beer bottle) more than a lot of people of age. If you can pass the test you should be able to drive. If the test doesn't prove people are safe to drive that says more about the ineffectiveness of the test than it does about the kids.

I don't think a lot of parents would choose to let their kids drive anyway, nor do I know a lot of 14-year-olds who could afford their own car/insurance/gas, so it's not like the roads would suddenly be full of 14-15-year-olds. We wouldn't have a lot of 14-year-old drivers for the same reason we haven't had a lot of 18-year-old mayors and 35-year-old presidents. Sure it's legal, but the real question is one of qualification.

Basically the parents are responsible for the kids until they're 18 no matter what they let them do, so I certainly would require a legal guardian to co-sign for a driver's license for these younger drivers. But if the parents decide they trust their kids to drive, and the teenager can prove they are qualified, I don't think it's the government's place to interfere with that decision based solely on age.

To get a marriage license in my state you need to be 18, but you can get married at 16 with consent from parents or guardians (or younger if you can get a court order). I think this would be fair to apply to drivers licenses - that you can get one two years younger with consent.

Hope that helps.

justintimejds@sbcglobal.net
Rating
well, if you need support, you can say in a video game age, many 14 year olds drove cars and video games and may know some of what to expect. Also, driving is a relatively simple task; it just takes responsibility.

shamoose
Rating
I think that"s to young !

CB
Shouldn't be allowed.
But Montana allows under restriction and under certain condition

Bravo10plt
Rating
Well country kids can drive their trucks around their property, so why should city kids not have the opportunity to do so. You might be able to use that, however I do not support kids of 14 years to be driving around, it would just be unsafe.

Stuart H
Rating
No

deadkilla
no because their bearly freshmens

Kyle
My dad had his licens at 14

Nathan
Rating
i fully support learning to drive at an early age. maybe not 14, but i think i was around that age when i started getting behind the wheel. granted, it wasn't on the street, cause it was illegal, but i was driving country roads and on private property. by the time i was old enough to get my permit, i was quite good at driving. i'm 27 now and drive for a living. i can't think of any other way to spend your life. my 4 year old daughter loves to sit in the driveway and turn the steering wheel and honk the horn, mess with turn signals, etc. you betcha that when she's old enough to touch the pedals and turn the wheel, we'll be out there safely learning the basics in a safe environment.

should it be legal? undecided.

Jenny
Yes they should be able to drive....not get a license but at least have their permit. This can give the more time to practice so when they get their liscence they are more experienced.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

What happens to nice kind humans when they get behind the wheel of a Car?

What would be some of the reasones why automobile manufacturers would not want to make cars safer than they do
thus reducing the insurance costs of operating them?...

Someone's been asking me why asians are bad driver?
They like to jump over the traffic lights & turning around the corner without signal.

Oops! No offense please I'm asian too but not a driver. ;-)...

What will it take to stop drunk driving?
Obviously what we're doing now isn't working, especially in my state. We have tougher sentencing now, lots of advertising to try to get people to not drink and drive, roadblocks, etc., and ...

If someone is chasing and harassing you while driving. whats is the best way to protect yourself?

Do you think it is more important to get your rear calipers and rotors done or get the bald tires off your car

Should people lose their drivers license when they reach a certain age, if so , what age?

Why do drivers hate learners so much?
Why do they drive reeeeeally close to our bumper while tapping the horn, shout abuse at us out their window, have no patience..... all this happens before I've even made a mistake! People have ...

Why are we taught to drive with only our right foot?
My 8 year old daughter asked me and I couldn't answer her!...

Is there a height requirement to drive when you're of legal age? If there is height requirement, what is it?

Do you think that airports have gotten out if hand?
what about the lastest, no liquids restriction?
Additional Details
i'm playing a neutral bystander in this, even tho i will be flying this week, i wan't to know what you all ...

Yellow light?
Should you stop at a yellow light?...

Do you have to slow down in an interstate work zone...???
...when there is absolutely no work being done and not a single worker on site??

For example, while driving at around 0300 I came across a "work zone" LOL.. There was nothing ...

People who drive and talk on their cell phone?
Do you hate them as much as i do

i cannot stand them. they drive like 50 mph in a 65 in the left lane on the highway and they cant stay in their own lane. it annoys me to hell.

Have you road killed any animals..?
so far, I did 3.

1. Piegon, that stupid bird flied low and hit my car while I was on 50wpm. and died
2. A deer who had no clue why he crossed the road with a crowd and he is not ...

My flatmate was caught driving my car with two tyres under the legal limit?
Whats going to happen to me? I let him drive the car

Regards, John
Additional Details
He has his own insurance policy on the car, it's just the tyres

J...

Why don't people keep keys handy to scrape up all SUV's and hummers they walk past?

Additional Details
no, really?...

90.5 mph in a 50 mph zone, is this a ban? (UK roads)?
My daughters boyfriend has just been caught doing 90.5 mph in a 50 mph zone, does anyone know, is this an automatic ban? I know what your thinking 'he deserves a ban' etc. and I couldn'...

Is there any way i can stop people parking/restricting access on the unadopted road at the side of my house?
also my drive is being parked in front ...

What advice can I give my 16 year old sister that just got her liscense?
She just got her liscense and I'm real happy for her. But at the same time I'm scared and I will be worried every time she goes driving on her own. Not because she cant drive, but because I ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Saturday, November 22, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links