Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Insurance & Registration

My car no longer runs. Should I cancel my insurance on it?
Find answers to your legal question.

My car no longer runs. Should I cancel my insurance on it?

My friend suggestted that it might not be wise, because when I get another car in 5 months they will charge me more for insurance if I was not insured for a long period of time. His logic was that it's a red flag to insurance co. They think you were driving without insurance or totaled your car. Even though my car just died on it's own.
Additional Details
Another wrinkle to the situation is that I do not get any service from my current car insurance company. They have lied to me so much that I don't trust what they say. So I don't want to ask them about the what I can do with them because I plan to drop them regardless. I think I'll call Gieco and see what they say about lapse insurance.


dont cancel..but be sure you will have another auto or mode of transportation..switch your insurance to the alternate vehicle..if not, cancel...then start weighing the value of public transportation...explain the situation to your insurance rep..
if its a problem ...cancel.then when you obtain another auto...obtain another insurance company.

duh... thats wasting money.. and when you get your new car you'll be fine,,, no extra charges i did the same thing

I would call my insurance comp..and ask them.. why pay for a car that doesnt work..and also call the car insurance and tell them you no longer need insurance for that car cuz its dead..They wont hold that against you..then if you dont get a car soon you need to turn in ur plates but talk to them they will help you.

Yes, immediately and notify the tag office so that you will not lose your license for canceling you auto insurance

dsaf f
What are you going to do with the car? Maybe you can donate it to a charity or sell it so you can have a receipt that says you haven't owned it since this date, which should get rid of the red flag. I really don't know the answer to this question, but its a shame we all have to live in fear of the gun that the insurance companies always keep pointed in our faces

Amy Vicious
No it's perfectly fine and logical to cancel your insurance on a car that no longer runs. If you're really that worried about it then call your insurance company and explain everything to them.

I would drop it. Why pay for a car that you can't use? I would also try to sell it. There are many teenage guys that would buy it and fix it up.

Talk to your agent. your friend may be mistaken, and it's better to be sure.

When my car died (engine siezed), I called my insurance agent the next day (it was Sunday when it happened) and asked what to do.

Granted, I had a new car within 2 weeks, but we just had the insurance suspended, meaning I couldn't drive the car (no biggie, as the car was in a big cube within 2 days), but they applied the payment on insurance I had JUST made to the new car's insurance.

talk to your insurance agent about it. They will shed some light on it, plus i don't think that's waht they set the rate based on.

call around and check, Who knows you might save some money.

cancel it

Simon S
well here is the thing if your car is dead and can not be fixed call the junk yard get 50 bucks and cancel your insurance an insurance can not hold it against you if you do not have the car.

Keep the insurance- raise the deductible so your monthly premium is as low as possible.

Keep it just in case. You never know if a tree may fall on it or some other thing that you won't want to pay for.

It depends on what state you live in of course, but insurance generally has to be maintained on all vehicles at all times. You have to register it as "junked" with the vehicle lisencing department in your state before you can drop the insurance.

Ins co's get real nervous when you stop and then restart coverage, as your friend says. Keep it covered, but only carry the comprehensive in case there is fire or other damage. drop everything else if you can.

If you get a NON op slip from the dmv on the car first and present that to the insurance company, it is likely the insurance company will give you a low flat rate for the vehicle since it is not moving on the streets. Then you can change your policy when you get the new car. Its still good to have it covered since the car will still have value even if it is not running.

best thing to do is call ur insurance company

The Loan Arranger - ABQ, NM
A couple of things you need to think about.

1. If you owe money to a finance company on your auto, you are required to carry at least liability insurance on your car.
This protects the equity in the auto for your finance company.
2. If you allow your insurance to lapse, when you apply for insurance again, they will run a credit report etc. This indicates your reliability and ability to share your financial burdens.

Think about these things and then, you decide.

duh - yes! They will only charge you if you were without of insurance but had a car. You can sell it or junk it and show them the receipt. If you communicate with the insurance company then they will work with you. If you cancel and instead of them that is different. You only need to keep it if the car is still in your possession. I wouldn't be paying insurance on a car I'm not driving forget that! That money can go towards your downpayment. I don't agree with your friend on this one.

cancel it. tell the insurance company your situation, so that when you restart they'll know the situation.

I say cancel it. Why pay for something you're not using? Tell them you no longer have a car and then get your money back if you paid ahead or just don't pay any more. I don't think you'll get penalized when you get a new policy. If you do, go to a different company. I know Geico doesn't care.

Your friend is right. Just keep it insured with the bare minimum of coverage. If you cancel it and then go to get insurance, they consider you high risk because you went without insurance for a period of time.

Your friend is correct on this matter. My husband and I actually cancelled our insurance on a car that quit running. BIG MISTAKE!!
Some insurance companies would not even consider coverage for us, and we finally had to go to a high risk company.

Please, keep your coverage. You might be able to add a higher deductible or just carry the essential coverages prescribed in your state, but keep some coverage. You won't regret it.

keep your insurance on your car, or else you will pay more in the long run

No, cancel it. No reason to make car insurance payments on a car you're not driving.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

 Should I report my accident to my insurance or pay the cost of the repair out of pocket?
I was leaving my driveway at lunch and backed into a parked repair truck. The truck was illegally parked, but was parked. The driver of the vehicle said he was fine and the truck didn't have a ...

 Is it illegal to not have a front License Plate in california?
My dad has a 2006 Honda Civic Si. He recently installed a expensive body kit. He hates it that he has to drill holes in the new body kit in the front bumper. Can the car be driven without a front ...

 What happens if someone is drunk, hits you, totals your car. Not their car.?
The car is insured but the person is not on the insurance....

 Payment for damages of vehicle resale value from wreck?

We bought a brand new 2010 Ford Escape last month. We've made one payment and it has 1600 miles on it. My wife was hit by a (insert colorful word) guy and it was completely ...

 How do you go to school everyday without a car?
The bus just isn't working for me. I am at the point where I miss the bus, and I oversleep. I am so bored that if I cannot drive my own car then i will take online classes. I really don't ...

 Difference between car sales tax in Nevada and Arizona?
If someone lives in Arizona (Maricopa County) and buys a used car in Nevada, should Arizona sales tax be figured into car payment at deal done in Nevada, or should Nevada sales tax be applied and ...

 Driving lesson tomorrow?
I'm having a driving lesson tomorrow. The instructor is coming to my house and then I'm taking the wheel from there. I live in Calfiornia.

What should I expect?...

 sometimes taxi drivers freak me out, you too?
I was a passenger in a taxi and I tapped the driver on the shoulder to ask a question. The driver screamed, lost control, nearly hit a bus, went up on the sidewalk, and stopped inches from a shop ...

 hi there i just got in a car accident but either car got messed up or hurt?
we both stop to check and everything was ok it was my fault but the other person didnt ask for anything like my information and he just wanted 100 dollars in that case what can i do can he get money ...

 What is the Toll Free Telephone Number for the Claims Department for Allstate Insurance?

 What would happen if i rode my 50cc aprilla without cbt test.id be insured and taxed?
Im just wondering.
no way would i risk doing it,just want to know what would ...

 Are Massachusetts auto insurance drivers eligible for "loss of use" damages?
The accident was the other person's fault, I didn't get the rental, used another car.
And if so, who do I call? The adjustors office, they're saying no - and maybe it's no, ...

 Can I be reimbursed auto insurance for the days my car was undrivable due to accident caused by someone else?
So there was a car accident and it was determined to be the other person's fault. My car was a mess (I wish they just totaled the thing) and is still in the shop, it's been 2.5 weeks.

 Do i have to be insured?
My bf has a van and I wanted to know whether I have to be insured to drive it as a learner with L plates, does anyone know?...

 How do I get the 2010 sticker for my license plate?
Ok long story short, I peeled it off my license plate, lost it, and now I can't find it. Do I just go to the DMV and order a new one? Or can I call the DMV and get a new one? Please help....

 Will DMV make me keep my current plates when transferring to new car or can I get the new orange plates?
I just bought a new car and want to get the new orange New York license plates for my car instead of transferring my old plates. Do I have a choice or do they make you use your old plates? If I am ...

 in california you need to get your permit before you get your license right?
lol kinda sounds like a dumb ? but i looked up on the site and it said nothing about needing your permit ...

 best rent car company in usa?
I would like to know the best rent car company in USA....

 Should I still have to have a breathaliser in my car after 19 years without any type of citation?
Way back in 1986,89 and in 1991 I was a young idiot,These are the years that I drank and drove under the influence of alcahol,23 years old in 83,26 years old in 89,and in 1991 I was 28,Now Im 47,...

 Can I add collision coverage for my auto insurance policy for only a weekend?
I have a car that I'm selling that I downgraded the insurance to just liability when we stopped regularly driving it. This weekend, however, we need to use it and I'd like the damages to ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Tuesday, February 9, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links