Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law & Ethics

is it legal for a parent to withhold your ss# and birth certificate?
Find answers to your legal question.

is it legal for a parent to withhold your ss# and birth certificate?


2009-08-11 12:17:37 +0000
Who cares go get a couple duplicates and then toss one at your parent and say "keep it I've got a ton of copies". Then find something incriminating against your parent and hold it over their head, once you get tired of it tell him/her "don't you ever **** with me again!"

2009-08-13 15:36:17 +0000
It's no big deal and it really doesn't matter. Everything is recorded down by the state so it's easy to get copies of birth records especially if the child was born in a hospital.

2009-08-11 16:02:18 +0000
If she is withholding them for security purposes, tell her you really appreciate that she is looking out for you and ask her for a copy for your records. If you are 18 or over and she is refusing to provide the documents, you can get duplicates from the Social Security Administration for your SSN (http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_pv=&p_prods=&p_cv=1.16&go=GO&p_hidden_prods=&cat_lvl1=1&cat_lvl2=0&p_hidden_prods=&p_search_text=&p_new_search=1&search_type=answers.search_nl) and the state office for your birth certificate (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm). Best Wishes!

2009-08-11 11:16:14 +0000
Copies of both of these things can be easily attained with the proper information.
Mom could always say she lost them.

2009-08-11 11:15:37 +0000
If you are under 18, it's their decision.

If you are over 18, report them lost and replace them

2009-08-11 11:17:19 +0000
if you're under 18, yes. you are their child and you are under their care. my parents didnt give me my social security card until AFTER my 18th birthday, and my mother is still nurvous about me having it, especially in these times.

your information is very vital, and in better care with your parents than yourself.

2009-08-11 16:01:09 +0000
Yes, they can do that. However, you can get them yourself. Just write to the county in which you were born and request your birth certificate from their Vital Statistics office. There is usually a small fee. You can also take a photo ID card to the Social Security Administration office nearest you and request a new card. You can get your own social off of your school records. Just ask your school counselor.

2009-08-11 11:20:31 +0000
Doesn't really matter whether it is or not, it's easy enough to replace them. You are entitled to get a copy of your birth certificate from the proper vital records agency in your state, and you can get a replacement social security card from the nearest Social Security office.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Sunday, February 7, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links