Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

If you find out 20 yrs later u have been paying child support for a kid that is not yours can u get the $ back?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you find out 20 yrs later u have been paying child support for a kid that is not yours can u get the $ back?

You think the kid is yours 20 yrs later you find out its not and you paid child support all these yrs can you get that money back?


2009-11-13 15:53:11 +0000
No. If you didn't establish paternity before paying the child support, it's your problem. Sorry!

2009-11-13 15:50:10 +0000
i dont think so. especially if you acted as father to the child and never requested a paternity test.

2009-11-13 15:59:51 +0000
Unfortunatly, in this case, most of the time, the nice guy finishes last.

Laws heavily favor the mother in these cases. The lesson, anytime you are faced with paternity and there is even a remote question as to who the father is, request DNA testing before signing any papers. If you sign the paternity papers stating that you are the father, then you are legally the father and responsible for the child. That signature says, "I am without a doubt, 100% certain that the child is mine"... if you are NOT 100% certain, then you should get a paternity test so that you can be 100% certain. A signature does not say, "I'm pretty sure".

2009-11-13 16:01:47 +0000
A lot of good answers. Get a free consultation with a lawyer.

2009-11-13 15:58:33 +0000
That is a sad situation. But I really don't think you can get the money back. If it went to court the child's mom would most likely state that she thought the child was yours; you thought the child was yours; and you both took on parental responsibility for the child. You assumed responsibility.
This is a tough situation.

2009-11-13 15:58:04 +0000
No. Especially if your on the birth certificate of the child.

2009-11-17 08:29:29 +0000
you can try but you would have to go thru the court systems but more than likely you wont get it all back....the mother can easily say she didnt know you werent the father

2009-11-13 15:53:42 +0000
i don't think so i think its on the fault of you for not taking a test...but i would contact a lawyer to see if you have a case....if you have raised the child for 20 years the money shouldn't matter i would still look at it as my child

2009-11-13 15:56:22 +0000
well maybe if you wouldn't have called your wife by her 18yr old sisters name maybe she would have had your child instead of someone else's ha ha
i really don't know i would get a lawyer to take a look at it

2009-11-13 15:53:42 +0000
I am waiting on some good answers to this !

2009-11-13 16:10:03 +0000
No you cannot. They have laws that stop you from doing that actually.

There was a news story about this a few years ago actually.

2009-11-13 15:51:14 +0000
yeah go to court

2009-11-13 16:01:41 +0000
whether your the biological dad or not, just cause you have been putting money in it. wouldnt you WANT to stay in his life. your all he knows and you the same.. for 20 years you have been under the impression thats your kid.
why would you want the money back?

2009-11-13 16:02:26 +0000
ask Kanye: 18 year, 18 years, after 18 years he found out it wasn't his...

2009-11-13 15:55:07 +0000
so you're the guy that's been paying for my child.. thanx!!!

2009-11-13 16:49:33 +0000
No sorry Bud

This is why all men should get DNA test on kids all these ho's out there you never know and the one you think never would fck around do.

Mommas baby Daddy's maybe

2009-11-13 15:55:18 +0000
it's damn near impossible. You should have checked right from the start.

2009-11-13 15:57:38 +0000
Your stuck, but thanks for paying all these years for my love child.

2009-11-13 15:55:40 +0000
Nope - its way too late at that point

2009-11-13 15:54:05 +0000
Nope, you had 20 yrs for a dna test.

2009-11-14 14:44:43 +0000
I don't think any court will allow it, since you waited all that time and considered the child yours in the interim.

2009-11-13 15:50:04 +0000
Yeah, take it to court.

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, February 8, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links