Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

my ex wife is remarrying do i still have to pay child support as id rather put money in an account 4 daughter?
Find answers to your legal question.

my ex wife is remarrying do i still have to pay child support as id rather put money in an account 4 daughter?

i dont want to get out of paying but would rather give the money to my girl direct so will i still have to pay mantinance as her new husband works?


2008-01-30 20:13:43 +0000
if it is court ordered you do. you have to pay it the way you were ordered to pay for it.

2008-01-30 20:17:34 +0000
Yes. You are responsible for financially supporting your child through her life. An account for her is a good thing additionally, not instead of. Unless you feel it is alright to have another man supporting YOUR child just because he is married to your ex-wife?

2008-01-30 20:19:18 +0000
You still have to pay your support. Even though we hope that the new husband will take great care of your child, the fact reains that she is your child not his and you are still responsible for making sure that whatever she needs is being provided. Talk with you ex and see if you can reach an agreement on putting some of your support into a savings fr the child.

2008-01-30 21:22:05 +0000
it depends if your ex gets remarried you might not have to pay for child support, because my friends mother was going to get remarried but decided not to so she could still get child support for her daughter,

2008-01-30 20:19:36 +0000
Yes you do. The children are yours and your responsibility and they will continue to be that way till they are eighteen. I know this will disturb you when this other man comes into the picture.
You might go to a lawyer and found out if you can pay less but I doubt if you wlll be able to.
Many fathers do not like the thought of paying after another man comes into the picture and hopefully your X will be sure to give the money to them.

2008-01-30 20:14:13 +0000
You dont have that option. She gets the money no matter what and does not have to report where she spends it.

2008-01-30 20:14:26 +0000
Yes you still have to pay child support.The child is YOURS not the new hubby's.

2008-01-30 20:17:02 +0000
Yes you are still stuck paying and you can't force your ex to allow you to put the money in a fund. Chances are you might even have to pay more in support because she is married. They do not take the new husbands income into account.

When my ex remarried I had to pay $75 extra per month and when she had another kid a few months later it went up another $35.

This is California so each state could differ.

2008-01-30 20:16:05 +0000
You will still have to pay child support until your child is 18 or remains a full time student in college up to the age of 23. However, if you are currently paying allimony or spousal maintenance to your ex, then yes....when she gets married you will no longer have to pay that maintenance whether her husband is working or not!!

2008-01-30 20:16:51 +0000
You pay...just another unfair deal by "the system"....I would reccomend trying to gain custody....and have the child support flow your way

2008-01-30 20:20:19 +0000
you still have to pay support until she is 18. make sure you get receipts from her on how it's spent. if your paying alimony that stops as soon as she is married.

2008-01-30 20:16:22 +0000
You have to pay child support FOREVER

2008-01-30 20:14:18 +0000
As long as your name is on the Birth certificate then yes you still have to pay,,,,, if you give your rights to the new man, then you dont have to pay..

2008-01-30 20:15:30 +0000
Nope, pay up.

2008-01-30 20:17:17 +0000
sorry, no way out of it..

2008-01-30 20:15:13 +0000
unfourtanely u do have to pay it my husb has to pay his ex wife too and shes been married 3 different times already

2008-01-30 20:26:08 +0000
of course you still have to pay child support,the money is for your children ,those are your responsabilities not his......

2008-01-30 20:29:23 +0000
the child is not his to raise... it was a decision you and your ex-wife made and until that child is 18 or out of school ( in some states ) it is you and her responsibility.... so sorry!! but, the account is a good idea... you should do that anyway. cause it seems ( since your wife is re-marring ) that it is important to her to afford all she can for the child.

2008-01-30 20:20:38 +0000
You won't have to pay your x wifes maintance anymore but you still have to pay your child support.

2008-01-30 20:27:29 +0000
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS you have to pay child support even if your ex gets remarried!!!! You have a duty to help support your OWN children!!!!! What is the matter with you?????????

2008-01-30 20:30:35 +0000
No,not if you like jail.

2008-01-30 20:15:31 +0000
you need to continue to pay Child support. don't be a bone head about it. It's not about you, it about the kid. Besides you'd be violating law if you did it any other way.

2008-01-30 20:25:42 +0000
child support is to help your exwife support your daughter you will always have to pay child support. it is not the new husbands responsibility to support your daughter. maintance is another issue if she is remarried you shouldnt have to pay your ex maintance.

2008-01-30 20:13:42 +0000
Sorry but you still have to pay child support, there's no way out of it.

2008-01-30 20:34:53 +0000
As all the answers given, yes you still have to pay child support....And your ex wife's marital status makes no difference. Her new husband's finances will not be taken in account.
It's unfair how that works, and to top that, your ex doesn't have to account for the child support that you do pay. As long as your daughter is taken care of.
The one thing that you can do is try to seek full custody or shared parenting if you live in same town.
Search the net for specific statutes for your specific county/state under child support/child custody laws.
If you get along well enough w ex, you could possibly approach her with an agreement to set up an account for a certain amt to be put aside for your daughter out of the support, however, it would need to be done all thru a lawyer. Never accept verbal.....document everything.

2008-01-30 20:24:59 +0000
Yes you pay child support until the child is 21 depending on the state you are in. You couldn't be trusted to keep a marriage together for your child so why would you be trusted to put money in an account for her. (Sorry, I am a child of divorce). The only thing you stop paying upon your wife's remarriage is any alimony payments to her (depending on your divorce decree). You should still put money in a separate account for your daughter because college is expensive.

2008-01-30 20:23:13 +0000
If she makes more money than you...then no. You can appeal the court decision since she's getting married and together they may make more money than you. OR just file for full custody and you can have your daughter to spend the money on!

2008-01-30 20:13:47 +0000
Yes you still have to pay child support, but you could talk to an attorney and see how much you have to pay since her marital status has changed....

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Monday, February 8, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links