Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Military

I have 2 Associate's Degrees, If I join the Military will I become a Officer? Or do I need a BA Degree?
Find answers to your legal question.

I have 2 Associate's Degrees, If I join the Military will I become a Officer? Or do I need a BA Degree?

Thats about it I'm thinking of joining but want to know if i need a BA or not


2008-08-30 19:19:51 +0000
You won't automatically be an office even if you have a masters degree.
You can go to OCS, and a degree may not be required.
A degree would be required for a direct commission.'

2008-08-30 19:27:50 +0000

2008-08-30 19:18:37 +0000
To attend OCS for any of the services, a 4-year degree (i.e. a B.A. or a B.S.) is required.

Tom is wrong with the ROTC requirement, and the specialized degrees (Medical, nursing, etc.) is only relevant if you are commissioned in those specialties.

Jonny, you are also incorrect. And to say the Air Force doesn't run an OCS (actually they call it OTS or Officer Training School) shows you aren't informed about your own service's commissioning programs. For more information on Air Force OTS, see this brochure http://www.afoats.af.mil/OTS/documents/OTSBrochure-14Dec07.pdf The "Basic Officer Training" is for college graduates with a 4-year degree to get a commission in the Air Force as a 2nd LT

2008-08-30 19:19:19 +0000
Assuming you are just going to enlist with an AA degree (or two) you will go into boot camp as a private first class, a leap ahead of everyone in your new unit but you wont go in as an officer.

2008-08-30 19:33:16 +0000
4 Year degree gets you to the door - which door you open depends on you... OCS - ROTC - Service academy.

2008-08-30 21:05:29 +0000
As pointed out, you need to complete a bacholors degree before you are elgiable for Officer Canadate School (OTS/OCC/etc) This means you have several options.

1. You can complete college and receive a bacholors degree (BA/BS). If you have over two years before graduation, Air Force ROTC and Army ROTC may be an option.

2. You can join the Reserves and apply for Officer School (etc) down the road. This option may be combined with some, but not all ROTC programs.

3. You can apply for Officer Canadate Course. (PLC). If being a leader of Marines is your dream, this is a summer version of OCS. It just requires you have one summer before you graduate. COmmissioning/deployment does not occur until after words.

4. You can enlist. Gain the experience and training you will not receive anywhere else. It is not really better then being an Officer, but it is different. After a few years in, you can either get out or finish a BA degree and apply to a officer program.

5. Here is a deep dark secret. You can Apply to Officer Canadate School now. HOWEVER.

A.The Army National Guard requries a minimum of 60 credit hours to begin
B. If you fail to graduate with a bacholors degree by a certain point you will be fired.
C. It is the National Guard. Rightly or wrongly they have a habit of preventing people from transfering to active duty (if thats your wish)

2008-08-30 19:48:57 +0000
minimum requirements are a four year degree. 2 associates Is NOT sufficient.

and in actuality.. a BA would NOT be competitive for any Branch except the Army. the AF and Navy especially prefer BS in hard sciences like Engineering..and it better be a 3.5 or better GPA.

If you are still in college you can look into ROTC, BDCP or just finish out and apply to OCS/OTS.

2008-08-30 19:20:35 +0000
I don't think you can just join the military as an officer, unless you specifically went to an officer training type school... like the Air Force Academy or the Naval Academy.
If you enlist, you're going to have to earn your way up.

could be wrong tho..

2008-08-30 19:18:11 +0000
You're going to need more than just a four year degree. You are going to need either ROTC or a Medical degree Medical Doctor, Dentist, get my point?

2008-08-30 19:21:26 +0000
I am an Air Force officer.

To become an officer in any branch of the service, you must have a four year degree. You must also complete college ROTC, or go to a military academy, like West Point or the AF Academy, Annapolis, Coast Guard Academy. The Air Force doesn't really do OCS anymore. I don't know what the other branches have in that regard. But OCS was for people who already had degrees. OCS is like basic training for officers.

I received a BFA and completed ROTC at the same time, and I was commissioned in 1988.

Doctors, lawyers, engineers and other professionals get commissioned a little bit differently. They don't normally go through ROTC. Once they get their degrees, they go to special orientation classes to enter the military.

ok so right now im in 2 yr college and im transferring to sac state. my major is nursing. my 1st plan was to join the rotc air force, but since i don't have my citizenship and only green card i cant join the rotc. but now im planning to join the air force after i graduate from the sac state. will i enter as a officer or is there program i have to sign up to be a office rather than joining the rotc?

 Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links