Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Immigration

If you are born in another country to American parents do you have full citizenship of both nations?
Find answers to your legal question.

If you are born in another country to American parents do you have full citizenship of both nations?

also would you still be eligible to run fro president? If both parents were American citizens.

People always say that if you are born of American parents you are an American, that might be the case but not so in terms of Immigration. If you are born to American parents in another country, the only way to claim citizenship your parents would have to declare it to the US embassy when you were born. I am not sure what the process is now with all the new changes. Contact the US embassy and they will better advice you.

Twix Twix
The USA does allow dual citizenship. As for the other country, well most other countries do not give citizenship to a child just because that child was born in the country. Having American parents does not mean you will automatically be an American citizen. At least one of your parent will need to register your birth abroad, and be able to prove they had lived in the USA for at least 5 yrs, 2 after age 14. Then an only then could they pass on their citizenship to you.

okay as far as I understand it's like this. If you were not born in this country but your family is 100% legal whichever nation you live in for the longest time would be your nation of citizenship. Now this does not mean you wouldn't be a citizen here in the u.s. you would obtain full citizenship, they usually call it dual citizenship. I'm not 100% but here's a page I found about dual citizenship. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html#noway and these are the rules to becoming a president... http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/presrequire.htm

BobJr's Final return
no america does not recognize duel citizenship, you would have naturalization i think its called been awhile since i had to know this stuff, so you would still be american citizen. only exceptions i think are military bases that r still considered american territory. as long as both parents born in america and live there then yes you can run

Jon J
If one parent is American, you are an American. As for others countries, many times being born in a country does not grant you citizenship. The Constitution says you must be a natural born citizen, not just to be born in the US. So as long as you are an American at birth you are legal to run for President. Apparently no one actually understands the Constitution anymore, "No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."

no. you must have been born in the US in order to become president.

Legal Discussion Forum

 Forget the dream act ( it's not an act) immigration?
Howvabout after November we get schools to ask for birth certificates for all students. That would allow local and federal agents to identify illegal students. These students are costing over 1000 ...

 Legal Latino Says He Was Mistakenly Detained It Open Season On Latino's ?
ALLENTOWN, Pa. -- The Allentown man who says he was wrongfully detained by immigration officials is speaking out. "I'm still shocked every time I think about it. It's like how could ...

 when can i apply for citizenship?
i been in the u.s for 2 1/2 years when can i apply for citizenship?...

 what culture are illegal aliens destroying?
i am against illegal immigration but all time i keep hearing the argument that the illegal aliens are destroying their culture. But what culture? what culture are they destroying? mc donalds ...

 How to obtain my Birth Certificate, if I was never registered.?
I am 20yrs old, I was brought to the USA at the age of 2. My mom just recently informed me that the reason I cannot obtain a resident card, or my birth certificate is because she never registered me ...

 i want to married someone in africa?

 Moving to Pakistan, what are your views?
I am set on the idea of going to pakistan, but loads of people are warning me I won't like it and I would be waisting my life. But I prefer living in a quiet natural environment (my village in ...

 Would i be allowed to live in the USA?
My boyfriend of 8 years is looking at a move from England to San Francisco as he is a software developer. We're not married but own a house and are classed as 'common law partners' in E...

 i am going to marry my boyfriend in honduras. after that what do i need to do so that he can reside with me?
in the U.S?...

 i want to leave the USA to fly back to Europe,but have expired my visa.will i be given a hard time leaving?

 I want to live in the USA, I'm British, Can an American family adopt me?
My dad is a very violent person and my mother died. I want a family from America to adopt me so I can have US Citizenship and a better family. I am 14 and I live in the UK....

 I am a born US Citizen and undwer 18. Can I apply for my parents for immigrant visa in the US?

 American mother, British father, baby born in the UK. What is the status of the American mother?
I'm an American studying in the UK. I've been living with my boyfriend for a year and we are expecting a child. I understand that since the father is a UK citizen, that the baby will be ...

 Can illegal immigrant renew their expired California ID card?
my friend here who is an illegal immigrant and don't have SSS is asking if he can renew his california ID even it's a year expired?...

 Can I Deport My Illegal Husband?
i'm currently separated from my husband because he no longer loves me, refuses to work things out with me, refuses to go to counseling with me or without me and refuses to go to anger management ...

 How do i immigrate to the u.s legally?
i want to move to america but i am unsure of what i need i have a batchelors in design and haven't broken the law, is there anything else i need?, also if it makes a difference i am a british ...

 If mexicans say they hate so much the U.S., why do they love coming here then?
The Tijuana-San Diego border is on the most transited borders in the world, you have to be on the line for at least like 1 hour in a normal day to finally pass and most of people passing through are ...

I want to know if i become citizen and i want to bring my mom which has 2 children of 16-19. will they be included and automatically will come with her? or she has to come, and become resident and ...

 How difficult is it to become an american citizen?
Im australian and thinking of moving to america. Would an engineering degree help or it doesnt matter what profession just if you have one. @Penny no i dont like poor fks taking the upper classes ...

 How do you get a birth certificate if you have no ID?
My boyfriend has no id at all. All he has is his British national insurance number, he now lives in Britain after coming over here aged 13. His mum has lost all his documents and he has no contacts ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, May 29, 2015 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links