Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Law Enforcement & Police

Accident happened. Police Report wrong. What can I do?
Find answers to your legal question.

Accident happened. Police Report wrong. What can I do?

Accident happened with property damage. Drivers' Exchange has other party at fault. Officer issued a citation to other party for careless driving at the scene. 3 weeks later, the Official police report had me at fault. Police officer went on vacation and another officer hand wrote other party name as violator and stamped the document. Insurance agency is arguing that I was at fault and the handwritten document is invalid and no evidence of citation. Police is saying that the hand written document is official and refuses to amend the official document in the computer and that they issued a citation for other party. (I have a copy of citation). No citation was in the court records for the other party. I met officer after he came back. But he didn't amend the report in the system because he thinks handwritten and stamped report is official, already. But when I bought another police report after I talked to the officer, my name was still as the violator. Officer gave me a copy of citation which was issued to the other party. 2 months have passed, it still is not in the court system yet. So insurance company saying there is no citation.

This is pretty typical, and you should be able to at least locate the original officer who wrote the original report and get him to amend the second one that is incorrect. The worst case scenario is to drag them into court, but it unlikely this will happen. A hand written document should carry more weight legally than some stamped printed document. They used to anyway. Get your insurance company to give you a month or so to straighten this out, find the officer and in the mean time try legal aide or call a lawyer and see what he/she/they say. Mistakes are made, and I think the police should clear this one up for you.

q S
If you think the police report is wrong you can hire your own expert to reconstruct the crash. Many times these experts are retired police accident investigators. your insurance company probably has at least one on the payroll if you live in a large city. your defense attorney probably uses one also. Below is a directory that might include your city

OMG! I was in an accident once too! Soooooo scary O.O But luckily I wasn't injured so I can still come here and grace everyone with my presence :)

When the officer returns from vacation, he can straighten it out. Meanwhile the case should be suspended and nothing done until that officer returns to straighten the facts. Confusing who is at fault if the core of the case and cannot be recorded until it has been corrected. Then move forward.

when the officer comes back from vacation, the officer has to ammend the report. tell your insurance company that it is wrong and you are waiting for the officer to return from vacation. it was a mistake and should be corrected. i have mixed up the two on a report once or twice.

This is an easy one... Talk to an attorney.

Legal Discussion Forum

 Can anyone go to jail for this?
Okay. So, my dad owns a restaurant. He has these gift certificates with some commission of $5 or something. This guy came and used the gift certificate, and he asked for that $5. Which made NO sense. ...

 Can you bring a gun on a plane?
Flight from the US to NZ....

 How to become an officer in the LAPD?
Hi, I'm going to move to the U.S and am planning to join the LAPD. I currently live in Australia and I'm wondering how I can become and officer in the Los Angeles PD. What will I need to ...

 How much would a speeding ticket be for going 85 over the speed limit?

 When in a police car, are cops required to put your seat belt on?
A cop arrested somebody I know. The officer put handcuffed her with her hands behind her back and put her in the front seat unbuckled. He then went on driving at speeds of around 70 miles per hour or ...

 say if a guy got arrested more than once, do they usually go to trial every time?
I'm just wondering here......

 I am on probation in michigan but did a interstate change to ohio and the parole authority in ohio supervises?
i am on probation in michigan but have a interstate change to toledo ohio and that means the parole authority in ohio is supervising me what happens if i waive my probable cause hearing at the ohio ...

 i got pulled over, the cop came over, and a speeding car almost killed the cop, he left, was i right in leavin?
i was going 50mph in a 35mph zone and the cop left before he was even able too get my license and registration, was i right in leaving after he went after the speeder who almost hit him? am i a ...

 800 mhz ltr kenwood car mobile install?
I am with a police agency and we are stumped on something we are trying to install... We have a remote head kenwood 800 mhz ltr radio we installing in a sports car low profile vehicle.. The ...

 what does Missed resync record mean?
I looked on a website to see if my friend was out yet and it said he was but also said Missed resync record under the reason, what does it mean i did a search on yahoo for what it means, but didnt ...

 How can i get into an 18+ show?
I'm 13. My absolute favorite band, s********r is playing at a local restaurant and lounge. I have been there many times before and the bar is way over in the corner and they are very strict ...

 i stopped but i stopped after the sign, no cop was there can i still get into trouble?
i was traveling on a two lane road a bus had stopped and i didnt stop because yes i was destracted i know its no excuse but i did stop after the sign, im am very sorry and upset with my self what ...

 how can you prove your inncoent if there is no evidence?
If you being charged of recieving stolen property from a girl friends mom after the girl friend was taken out of her custody but the property was a gift how can you prove that If you being charged of ...

 Lets say i was talking to obama face to face ?
And I just back handed him for no reason would I get shot or just ...

 Illinois leaving the scene of an accident and obstruction of justice.?
I have an ex (Not me, really! lol!) who was found guilty of failure to leave infomation after an accident in 2005. The same individual recently hit another car and left the scene a month ago. She was ...

 How does the FBI search for a fugitive that has changed his identity?

 What is the name for this term?
I'm facing a predicament where I can get fined for something there is a new law for, but when I did this was before the new law was passed. What is the name for how you can't get someone ...

 How to fight a cell phone ticket (ps I dont even have one)?
Ok so the other day I was pulled over by a police officer, I knew I wasn't speeding so I was kind of surprised to get pulled over. When the cop came up to the window he said he saw me talking on ...

 Is it illegal to take someones item locked on public property?
there is a park where there is a snowboard rail locked up to a tennis fence. would it be illegal for me to take it without touching the lock?...

 I'm really scared, am I going to jail?
I've recently been getting into a lot of trouble and having really bad luck. Well the problem is I've been charged with two larceny citations, I'm 18 now I turned 18 on december 14th. I...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Thursday, November 26, 2015 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links