Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  
   Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

what should i do if my ex claimed my son as his dependent on his tax returns and my son is in my custudy?
Find answers to your legal question.

what should i do if my ex claimed my son as his dependent on his tax returns and my son is in my custudy?

me and my sons father have been seperated since the day he was born and my sons father is not his legal gaurdian and he didnt even sign his birth certificate but he claimed my son as his dependent on his tax returns because during one of his visits he stole my sons social security card without me knowing

You also claim your child on your return...The IRS will audit the both of you and he will be fined and charged penalties (possibly arrested) for filing a fraudulent tax return.. Make sure your numbers are correct too as you also will be audited

File your taxes and claim your son. The IRS will make both of your prove who the child lives with and who supports him. You can prove the man is not on the birth certificate and that alone will make him have to pay the money back. You could also take it to court if you feel the need to have sole custody. Make him get a DNA test just for his benefit. You can prove the child was with you all year so you have nothing to worry about.

Paper file your taxes w/ your son as your dependent. The IRS will send out letters for you to defend your claim. Then defend your claim. Call a local HR Block in your area for more details. Advice is free, ask for a senior tax pro. Someone with more than 5 years.

You need to place all this information on paper, along with proof that your son stays with you, (child care bills, clothes receipts, copy of birth certificate, signed notarized letters by people who know he's with you), and send to IRS. Also, go to SSN office to inform them of the thief of the card to get a new number assigned. Your ex will have to answer to IRS, especially since he can't prove that the child is his.

Michael J
The law states whomever provided more than 50% of the childs expence is entitled to claim them as a dependant. If It was you, you can contact the IRS.

Unless he has some legal rights granted to him by a court that allow him to claim your son on his taxes I'd say he's in a lot of trouble. Report him to the IRS!

If he pays child support and you are not claiming your son in your tax return, then he can make that claim. If you are already claiming, then you can report to IRS

joey k
You should learn how to spell custody. Also, according to your great English, me have been sepErated since the day he was born. Me LIKE my son. Me want my son back.

Legal Discussion Forum

 why don't women like to admit their mistakes?
women will cheat and blame us for it or they cover it up....

 I live in Ontario Canada .My wife has cheated on me!How i get a divorce without paying support to her ?

 Why is he so insecure and paranoid?
I work from home, today at lunch time I had couple of errands to run.......I took my mom to the hairdresser because she cannot walk very much, I went to the bank, and went to wax my eyebrows.......M...

 why do they say to stop looking for love?
"Love appears in the weirds places, don't trying looking for it because you never find it, till it wants to be found!" Is this true?...

 What do you do with disloyalty and a two faced sister after a divorce?
My husband left me, lied to me, lied about me and blah blah blah and now I find out after almost four years that my sister, her husband and family have been seeing him and mostly likely his ...

 What is the best way to get a girl jelous so she will love you more?

 Why do weeks go by with nothing going into my daughter's child support account?
My ex lives on the opposite side of the country. We don't talk and he doesn't see our child. Is it because he didn't get a payment or could it be a mix up with the accounts. Also, ...

 Sister-in-law troubles...please help!?
Should I be upset that my sister-in-law started hanging out with my hubby's ex-girlfriend? They never hung out before we got married and now they do. I feel unsettled about this. Now my sister ...

 Why is it when the cheating and divorce is over?
and you finally come to terms with your new life and start being happy, the cheating ex and the other woman start doing things to try and bring you back down? Silly things like competing with you for ...

 How do I get my wife to get a job?
Right now I am the only one in the household with an income. We have one child and we own our house and car. My income comes short of paying our bills, let alone food and gas. We have to borrow ...

 Why are women so bitter towards ex wives?
Women who get involved with a married or a divorced man - who has kids - have to know there will be times when he has to deal with his ex wife and his children. It amazes me that some women find this ...

 My husband and I are going to punta cana ..?
and my husband says we have to get a base tan before go otherwise we'll really burn. So what we did was buy a bunch of tanning minutes at a tanning salon. Today was our first trip to the tanning ...

 what do you think when someone said?
does it bothered you when someone said,you see someone not by their physical looks but they see by heart?which is better?why would someone said this"she looks at heart,and not looks" in ...

 Im unhappy in my marriage with 2 daughters?
I have been with my husband for 6 yrs now married only two, I have a 4 yr old and a 16 month old, I had my first daughter before we got married, Im extremely unhappy in my marriage and I think the ...

 Do i have to pity myself?
I broke up with my bf a week ago and i have learned from his sister that he was once a strip dancer.. he never did told me this thing.. I don't know what i feel.. I was so shocked and numb.. S...

 wife cheater or not?
this woman puts single on her main profile as single but when u look at her pics the picture of and man she married says hes the love of her life why put single and then put that in the pic something ...

 Marriage certificate was issued in China. Can I file a divorce in US?
I am going to file a divorce, my soon to be ex-hubby did not want a divorce, and his mom demanded $50K from me. The problem is I am currently in US, and he is in China. Our marriage certificate was ...

 For divorced parents of school age children what are your visitation arrangements?
I'm trying to negotiate with my son's father regarding their visitation schedule because as it stands, our son will be going to school soon, and currently my ex's visitation with our ...

 What is the #1 Best Part of being married?

 Get answers from millions of real people.?
My husband used my car I've had prior to our marriage and bought a new one in his name only. A court has ordered him to rent me a car for 30 days but not to pay me $ 7,000 I've got from ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Wednesday, February 10, 2016 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links